Heated seat element replacement write up with pics.

Discussion in 'GEN 1' started by JimPap, Jan 5, 2013.

1. usn081888

usn081888 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2010 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Tuxedo Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I had read once that rock auto had a better heat element than factory ford. I could not find it, anybody else hear of such a thing?

2. osvet707

osvet707 New Member Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2010 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Tuxedo Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Seat heater not working!

My 2010 scab has the same issue with the drivers seat no longer heating but the button light stays lit for just a moment. Tried to access the element but was clueless without pics and ended up putting everything back together without accomplishing anything but learning how to take it all apart. Can anyone help me with a re-post?

3. matmerri1

matmerri1 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Ford F550 Wrecker
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 5.4L
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

This is for a 2009 Ford F150 FX4. I can add any requested information.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  4. matmerri1

matmerri1 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Ford F550 Wrecker
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 5.4L
    2010 Raptor SVT
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ingot Silver
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Heated seat element replacement, and pictures to help.
    .(Done with out removing seat from truck).

1st---Use switches to set seat at it highest hight, for working/hand room.

2nd---Remove the seat belt cover,lightly prying from top and popping it off.

3rd---Remove the seat control switch assem, prying from top, then working your way around assem, " CAUTION" Dont pull to hard, you have to disconnect the switch plugs, rear first, front last, not alot of slck on wires, just enough.

4th---Front section there is a T20 torx screw ( REMOVE ).

5th---Rear of seat, unzip both sides a little, on the rear left side corner there is a 7mm screw, ( REMOVE ). NOTE you can remove the seatbely torx to get side panal out of your way, or just slack the seatbelt, your choice.

6th---On the switch side and front of seat, you will see a plastic J-channel stiched to the seat cover, pull down and release from side bar and front brace, NOTE there is one on the right side next to center console, I did not release that one, "CAUTION" WATCH YOUR FINGERS, the metal on the seat frame is sharp as all hell, (opened my finger up, if i pulled would of been going for stitches, lol.

7th---Slowly pull seat cover up around seat, taking caution not to pull to hard, there are 3-hog rings hoding the seat cover at the center seem, and velcro holding the cover on the left,right and rear of cover.

8th---2 niddle nose pliers are now needed, first rotate the hog rings so you can see there overlap, once there take your 2 niddle nose pliers and spread open the rings, take caution not to tear the felt flap with the plastic edging stitched to the seat cover.

9th---Now you should be able to move the seat cover out of the way enough, to work, SLOWLY start peeling the heat element, working your way around untill its removed, NOTE-some come off easy, some don't, you can use a heat gun to loosen the glue and peel, or you can just cut the old wires off and install the new element on top of the old, your call.

10th--When installing the new element, make sure its in the correct postion, and you have the section where the hog rings are, tucked into the foam channel good, you don't want to much tension on the element when recrimping the hog rins, thats where the wires are for the front and rear sections of the element feed each other.

11th---Now just reverse the prosses to complete.

Sounds like alot, but I just wanted to explain everything your gonna see, total time took me 1hr 45min, from start to finish, thats with taking pictures, smoke break, buddies stopping to bull, TOTAL COST $23.00, ordered element from TASCAPARTS.COM

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    csmartinez likes this.
  6. donald96792

donald96792 Member Military

Vehicle?:
    2010 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Molten Orange
    Engine:
    GEN1 5.4L
    Here are the photos the original poster put up. I just replaced my drivers side bottom pad again this month after it started smoking when I turned it on one day. I guess the forum has been updated now to allow posting pictures from my iPad. I never got around to putting pics onto computer.

This time when I replaced the pad I only took half of the old pad off because it was taking too much of the foam seat padding with it when I was peeling it off.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg You only need to take seat control off (just clips) and disconnect the 2 connectors.

Then there are only 2 bolts holding plastic panel in place. 1 is behind seat control panel and the other is the 7mm bolt accessible from rear after to unzip seat cover a bit

The biggest pain is the retaining rings that hold the seat cover in place.

7. T McCleish

T McCleish New Member

Vehicle?:
    2010 F-150 Super Crew FX4
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 5.4L
    I had the same issue with my 2010 FX4. Developed a 'hot spot' on the back of my left leg that was so hot, it would leave a red mark on me if left on for too long. Pulled the seat cover this weekend and sure enough, the wire that sits down in the hog ring 'trench' was broken in half, burnt through the element, and charred the foam cushion and underside of the seat cover. It looked like it had been replaced once before (I bought it used in January 2013) because I found half of another broken hog ring still hooked around the metal rod in the center of the seat. I replaced the element and works fine again.

This is the interesting part... I turned it on for the first time last night on my ride home, and to my surprise, the seat back warmed up nicely too. As long as I've had the truck, as far as I can remember, my seat back never heated up. I just assumed that only the cushions were heated and the back wasn't. Anyone a little more electrically inclined than myself help me out with that one? Even though they're separate elements with their own cords and plugs and all, is there a possibility that the back rest wouldn't work due to the cushion one being broken? Like the circuit wasn't complete or something? I'm just wondering if the cushion element had been bad before I bought it and was preventing the back rest from working... It was a nice added bonus having heat on my back in any case.

8. 2011FX4

2011FX4 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2011 FX4
    Color?:
    Ingot Silver
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Hello to the forum
    This is a good thread.
    My 2011 FX4 had the same burnt element issue and the dealer wanted $350 to replace it. So I did some reading on here and a few other sites and decided to do it myself. So today I went at it and found it surprisingly easy to do. I did not find the need to remove the back bolt for the side panel as once I took out the front screw I had plent of room to pull back the seat cover. Once I got to look at the old burnt element I found it burnt in the same area as most right by the plastic bar for the rings. I did read on another site where someone had snipped the plastic bar where it is over the element wires so it will not pinch again I did this as well seeing as it does look like it was the cause. Other than that it was pretty much like others have said. Took me just under an hour to do and seat is heating the way it should.

Thanks for the tips

Wes

9. Hedges4

Hedges4 New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Great write up... $25 from ebay and about an hour and half... an hour banging things around the garage, 5 minutes to read this post, 25 min to actually get it done. Thanks guys!