How many people have graduate degrees here? | Ford Raptor Forum - F-150 Raptor Forums

How many people have graduate degrees here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion!' started by nkim18, Dec 19, 2012.

1. nkim18

nkim18 Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor 2012
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I have my MSEE and was thinking about going back and getting an MBA.. does anyone have any graduate degress.. more specifically an MBA? How has it benefited you and what do you do for a living while utilizing it (if at all).

2. Raptor108

Raptor108 New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Molten Orange
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Roi

As a university faculty member, and holder of a Ph.D., I'd say "shop carefully." The MBA can be useful in the job market, but in many cases has been replaced with specific degrees, such as a Masters in Finance. The MBA is very generic and won't impress some employers.

Make sure the program you choose has a strong business advisory committee and can assure you of an internship with a partner company. Ask for names of recent graduates that you can talk with and check on their results.

With the pace of degree inflation, the B.A. is the new high school diploma, so many are looking at masters degrees to try and set themselves apart from the crowd. Just be sure you have looked at who the customers are for that degree.

3. Tautog

Tautog Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Blue Flame
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    My wife has an MBA and a doctorate in management, I read your question to her and she suggests you think about how an MBA would help you personally. In other words how would an MBA enable you to do something new or different? Since you already have a masters degree what would a second masters degree allow you to pursue or accomplish that you can't right now? Not saying don't do it but by giving serious thought to these questions you should be able to figure out if the additional investment of your time and money might be worth while. She is an adjunct professor at U of Maryland business school and director of insurance and risk management for a very large pharma co.

4. nkim18

nkim18 Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor 2012
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    True these are good points and interesting things to think about.

Currently it wouldnt help me at all lol I think I need about 3-4 more years before I'll be a good candidate for a top notch MBA program. I feel like an MBA will help me transition into a more business oriented side of the company as opposed to the technical side (electrical engineering where I'm currently at)..

Also, its pretty expensive so I was only considering top notch schools (like Duke).. Regardless I got plenty of time to plan things out but it has definitely been something i've been thinkin about

5. loke

loke New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Oxford White
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I dropped out of high school in the 90's to jump into the dot com tech world, moving to corporate stuff after the bust. After ten years as an engineer climbing the ranks of a few of the largest corporations in the world I've never regretted skipping the formal education. To this day we struggle to find the skills we need and hire based on knowledge alone with almost no consideration for education. That said, my career has started reaching the limit and I'm beginning to look at management. In most cases you need an MBA to get a tee time with upper management. Forget about an interview for a VP level gig. 15 years into a very successful and lucrative career, I'm just now wishing I had more formal education. With no undergrad degree, an MBA is is far off.

As stated by Tautog's ole lady, think about what the MBA will do for you. Is it a personal goal? Will it open a new door for you? Are you stuck, limited, or unhappy with your current job and prospects? Do you see yourself becoming stuck, limited, or unhappy in the future, given your current path and industry?

6. Nosteve

Nosteve Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 SCREW
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    hmm...I have masters degrees in chemical and environmental engineering...

I have yet to reach a point where I feel I need another degree...

initially having the advanced degrees may not paty any more money...

but what I have found is they will allow you to land the jobs that will lead to more money...

does that make sense?

without the masters I would not have gotten hired for the jobs that led to better jobs...

the initail positions did not pay much more...

but the position was more advanced...

I wouldn't be where I am today without the extra pieces of paper...

7. Srock

Srock New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor 2013
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    It may also depend on your industry. I'm in construction and experience, performance and the ability to get things done rule over advanced degrees or any degree for that matter. There's no hiding behind a desk or degree in this job.

I have a bachelors in finance and bachelors in construction. I was moving toward my masters but it made no sense even if I pursued working at a large company.

I own my own company and I think it would be very difficult to make the same money working for someone else. The most difficult or key item is the ability to find and bring in work...sales and marketing...with experience, the rest is much easier.

8. Luke13

Luke13 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2013 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Tuxedo Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Just a thought, if we all have the same idea of success in here which would be summarized with a good income, enough that your wife could stay home, to retain as little debt as possible and spend as much time not working as possible, a college degree seems quite meaningless. To folks like me who would have to pay my way in would incur somewhere 80k in debt otherwise waste 4 years or more not working and learning life skills.

Obviously you can tell I'm quite biased. I may be the exception but I make more than all my friends with degrees some times 3 fold. I think if there was a school that could teach you practical buisiness skills such as relationship building and on the job experience would be best IMO.

Just a thought but truly I believe college to be the biggest scam of our century. On top of most practices of medicine. Some of the most successful people in this world didn't go to any college some didn't even finish high school, they got their ass out of earlier then Anyone else worked harder and fought for what they have. Most college kids my age (26) are a bunch of low life idiots most still living at home. Complaining about the economy.
    dreaming of that job that will pay them this 100k plus salary. But couldn't even nail a job interview.
    Sorry for the rant

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  9. AZEngineer

AZEngineer New Member

Vehicle?:
    2013 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Blue Flame
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I have a BSEE and an MBA. I got the MBA because when I was young 23 years ago. I was bored at night and the company paid for it. I work in high tech and having an MBA probably helped me get internal interviews. Don't waste your time with executive MBAs or the super easy ones like Univ of Phoenix. My company won't even reimburse for Univ of Phoenix anymore.

Only go if you get into a top tier program and only go full time. When I got my MBA they were less common in my company. I wouldn't say I learned a ton that wasn't pretty obivious to me already. Also, you will likely find MBA classes very interesting and WAY easier than engineering classes.

10. Slacker

Slacker New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Oxford White
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    In my (not so) humble opinion, Nosteve nailed it. I have exactly the same experience. The MBA did nothing for me immediately but it did give me opportunities I am certain I would not have had without it, and the money that went along with those opportunities made the paper worth while.

11. Jeepdude

Jeepdude New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I have my BSME and was also considering getting a MBA. I just recently moved into management and I'm more interested in the skills and knowledge it would give me than the degree itself. So far not having an masters hasn't hurt me at all. I think it might be about time though. I have a feeling as I move to the next level of management not having a masters degree is going to hold me back. I was also thinking about a Masters in Engineering Management. Not sure if it would benefit me more than an MBA or not.

All that being said my long term goal is to get my wife a high paying job and become a trophy husband. lol

12. RAPTOR2

RAPTOR2 Active Member Military

Vehicle?:
    2018 Raptor Screw
    Color?:
    Lead Foot
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    BS-Thermodynamics S.U.N.Y.
    Thanx to my G.I. bill from the Navy

13. mjyst3

mjyst3 New Member

Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2013 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Terrain
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    My suggestion is only go if you can pay cash up front for it or your company is paying in full. What use is any degree if you are slaving to pay it off for 30 years.

May I ask your reasoning for going back? How far have your current degrees tarn you? I am being very sincere with these questions. Not trying to be a prick at all.

14. Tempestamber

Tempestamber Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2013 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Oxford White
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    BS Biology minor Chemistry
    AAS veterinary Science