F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of an intake snorkle that fits the svt cutouts. I go through as many streams as strip mines.

Cheers,

tad

·
Banned
321 Posts
anyone know of an intake snorkle that fits the svt cutouts. I go through as many streams as strip mines.

Cheers,

tad
Hockster and wiz1500 are working on that look at ? just search old posts
Hockster makes a hose giong from intake to vent and wiz was working on sealing up the area behind headlight.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm curious if anyone has installed one. Not that over the roof thing though. Hood yes, roof no

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't really see the point in using the side vent as a "snorkel" anyway... Is it really all that much higher than the filter? All it will do is be a lot more likely to suck in debris (or water). If your going to go through all the trouble you might as well do it right and bring it up the windshield. I'd say go that route or some of my old 4Runner buddies routed their snorkels inside the cab with a removable screw type deckplate. That way as long as its dry inside your good to go!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Bringing the intake into the cab would bring a lot of induction noise with it I would think. Might be a little loud for most people.

·
Registered
581 Posts
They did theirs with the factory airbox/silencers intact... Also the only time you need to open it up is when your expecting to drive in deep water.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They did theirs with the factory airbox/silencers intact... Also the only time you need to open it up is when your expecting to drive in deep water.
How does the Alternator get protected from water? i mean, if we r going under water how do you keep water from damagind teh alternator or water getting into the coils?

·
Banned
321 Posts
Can I remind you all it is 4 wheel drive vheicle designed for DRY desert terrain wih some water not a lake crossing vehicle or river barge or swamp buggy racer or submarine. just my canadian two cents

·
Registered
98 Posts
I feel the same i would like a snorkel but at the same time Macgyver is right. SVT designed this truck to go all out in the desert. If you get too much sand or dirt in your intake than ford and other companies will help but if you get alot of water then your on your own.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can I remind you all it is 4 wheel drive vheicle designed for DRY desert terrain wih some water not a lake crossing vehicle or river barge or swamp buggy racer or submarine. just my canadian two cents
So why did you get one? What deserts are there in Canada? :hah: :wavey: :Na_Na_Na_Na:

And anyone who understands snorkels understands that they also can help with dust (putting the intake point up above the cabin lessens the chance that dust will get in, especially since the engine bay usually fills with dust) and especially help keep your intake from getting hot engine air, unlike most "cold air intakes". The SVT cutouts seem like a perfect place to route a snorkel setup.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've been searching these 'snorkel' and 'intake' threads, trying to see if anyone figured out a good snorkeling system for the Raptor.

I don't plan on taking mine onto the open ocean but I will be exploring enough in the trails of the northwest and there are plenty of streams and water crossings.

Is there a good aftermarket system for the Raptor that anybody has found?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've been searching these 'snorkel' and 'intake' threads, trying to see if anyone figured out a good snorkeling system for the Raptor.

I don't plan on taking mine onto the open ocean but I will be exploring enough in the trails of the northwest and there are plenty of streams and water crossings.

Is there a good aftermarket system for the Raptor that anybody has found?
I will be looking for one as well! Snow plugged my filter and box up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would also be interested in a setup like this.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm still searching on and off over the internet for a snorkel set-up. Perhaps I'm being too unrealistic but I'm looking for a more low-profile kind of look. I appreciate the performance of Safariland-style snorkels (http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/cruiserconnection_2140_22278864), but don't think it would look good on a Raptor.

Another option is one like this (http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/cruiserconnection_2140_21662086), obviously more low-profile, but again I don't care for the look.

The search continues..........

·
Registered
253 Posts
In my opinion - a Snorkel is a great bit of insurance.

When crossing water - 99% of the time it's not clear enough to see in to, so unless you've waded through it first on foot, you're going by gut feeling. If there's a large pot hole or dip that you blindly stumble into - the front of the car is suddenly a lot deeper.

There's really two ways water can kill a car - 1 is to hydrolock the engine through water ingestion - the other is through damaging ECUs and wiring connectors... now ECU's these days are pretty well sealed and can probably handle a quick dunk... but when it comes to the air intake... if you get water in your engine and hydrolock it, you're looking at instant shut down and probably a VERY costly repair.

So like I said - Snorkel - cheap insurance.

I love the idea of something molded in to the fender vent indentation and running up the A-pillar.

If anyone does it and makes a mold for it please let me know.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I believe that is one of the reasons Land Rovers are so expensive. The engine, electronics and mechanicals are waterproofed for water crossing. I wouldn't think the Ford is, it would be nice if it was.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts