F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not somebody that is going to be racing across sand dunes at 60mph any time soon (even though the idea sounds pretty cool), so I wonder, is the Raptor right for me? I live in Montana, and a lot of the roads I travel are washboard dirt and gravel. I don't expect I'll be jumping my truck anytime soon either, but rather driving through mud and snow. Also, I don't tow much (we have a 19 Foot Larson Boat that weighs about 3500 pounds). 90% of my driving is on pavement, to and from work, but I want a truck that can play when the time comes.

I'm looking at either a Crew Cab 6.2L Raptor (if they make a Crew Cab) or a 4th Generation Body Style Dodge Power Wagon. I know they are both different trucks, but both would suit my needs very well. The only thing the Power Wagon has on the Raptor is front and rear locking diff's and a Winch. However, the Raptor will offer a smoother ride, and I don't think Ford is going to be out of business forever any time soon (still lot's of rumors about Dodge/Chrysler being SOL). Plus I like the hill decent mode that was shown on a You Tube video about the Raptor.

Let me have it folks- you know the Raptor better than anybody else. Do you think a Crew Cab Raptor 6.2L will be the truck for me?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Personally I would not rank f/r lockers or a winch very high on list of options I'd look for from the factory. The aftermarket engineers and manufactures these particular accessories very well. These accessories also don't have issues with emissions testing or lift laws that can cause legal hassles. If used correctly they are unlikely to cause subsequent expensive mods to correct problems like computer glitches, front camber/castor handling issues or driveline vibrations. I'd put more weight on choices that are impossible to change/add after purchase, like cab/bed configuration, engine, towing/payload limits, etc.

Both the Raptor and Power Wagon packages seem to limit ones choice in cab and bed configurations, engine options, payload range, etc. Seems to me the choice is a toss up based on personal perference once you discard the differnce in payload/towing of a 1/2 ton based Raptor vs a 3/4 ton Power Wagon as a factor in the decision.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
80% of the reason you buy the Raptor is the looks.Not really what its made for.
I agree.......I drive a Rubicon now, it can do all the 4x4 stuff with ease. The reason I like the Raptor is the looks and the 6.2. The only thing that is worring me is the mpg , because its going to be my daily driver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess you may have to test drive each one. My Silverado is horrid on washboard with my 33's and a 4" lift. If the Raptor excels in that, it'd be a nice feature if you drive those roads alot. I can't imagine the straight axle in the 2500 Dodge PW to be very good there, but I haven't driven one to know. My Rubicon wasn't good on washboards either, straight axle, 3" FT lift and 33" a/t's...but they were E class load rated and I never got around to going bigger.

The Raptor has 35's, but the PW would fit 35's with a budget boost to the already longer coils and extra leaf it has over the normal 2500's. I know plenty of guys with 35's under 2500/3500's with a 2" lift. Also, the Raptor has the really short box, like 4.5' or 5.5'. The PW has a 6.5' box. If you haul a quad, you'll have to consider that.

I'm having the same debate in my mind now that the 2010 Ram PW was announced.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Raptor is for those of us that knew it was for us the 1st time we saw it. It has aggressive good looks and suspension to match. Hopefully the 6.2 will complete the package in the power department. This is what we expect from SVT. Either you get what the truck is about or you don't.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Raptor is for those of us that knew it was for us the 1st time we saw it. It has aggressive good looks and suspension to match. Hopefully the 6.2 will complete the package in the power department. This is what we expect from SVT. Either you get what the truck is about or you don't.
I knew what the Raptor was the first time I saw it- but that answer gives me little to no help. The question is for my use, is it a truck that I'm going to benefit from owning, or should I look at a different vehicle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Without doing a drive comparison between models you're interested in, how are you going to know?

Every forum will give you advice and saying "buy me, buy me" type of boosterism.

I live at 9,750 feet above sea-level. Immediately upon seeing the Raptor and then reading of it's capabilities I knew it was the truck for me.

Put your butt in the leather and give 'er a go! The decision process is not always easy, that's for sure....but, then again, sometimes it is.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Also, the Raptor has the really short box, like 4.5' or 5.5'. The PW has a 6.5' box. If you haul a quad, you'll have to consider that.
The bed is 5.5 and a quad will fit just fine with the tailgate down, but that's where the bed extender comes in handy:smileup:

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've been 'lurking' and reading most posts here to gather all the info I could to make an informed decision on buying a Raptor. You guys know much more than the idiots selling them, trust me!
Can someone please tell me if there's a problem with the extra width while going thru drive-thru windows such as McD's, banks etc.? Some of those are narrow. Also, I'm a disabled Vet and getting into my FX4 is a 'hoot', I'm hoping the Raptor's seat isn't much higher? Finally, does it steer straight and true without steering wheel slop.
My white one is due on the 2nd of December and wish they offered the orange interior and remote start, (why not??) but no fog lamps that I see? Come on Mr Ford?!
Keep it coming, Gentlemen, you ROCK!
HOOAH!
Reddog...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I haven’t had any problems getting through drive thrus (never even thought about the width being an issue I guess), but I haven’t gone through a bank drive thru in years. Those can be narrow and I never felt comfortable driving trucks through them. My luck I’d deposit 100 bucks and it would cost me 1000 if I hit something. I don’t think the seat is much higher than an FX4, maybe an inch or so, but you can lower the seat so that they are about the same, assuming you have power seats. The steering is great, no slop and I’ve noticed it goes straight on its own for a long time.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I've been 'lurking' and reading most posts here to gather all the info I could to make an informed decision on buying a Raptor. You guys know much more than the idiots selling them, trust me!
Can someone please tell me if there's a problem with the extra width while going thru drive-thru windows such as McD's, banks etc.? Some of those are narrow. Also, I'm a disabled Vet and getting into my FX4 is a 'hoot', I'm hoping the Raptor's seat isn't much higher? Finally, does it steer straight and true without steering wheel slop.
My white one is due on the 2nd of December and wish they offered the orange interior and remote start, (why not??) but no fog lamps that I see? Come on Mr Ford?!
Keep it coming, Gentlemen, you ROCK!
HOOAH!
Reddog...
Somebody who actually owns would know better obviously but, I wouldn't see the extra 7 inches of width causing any trouble. Dually owners probably worry about it more. As Dajohu said, I believe the Raptor sits just a bit higher than an FX4, but maybe lowering the power seat would make up for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i dunno, the raptor is pretty expensive, but is capable to do just about anything you need. im like you, most of my driving on the pavement, but its always nice to be able to tow whatever i want. and the looks are for sure the main reason people buy it. there is not many people who drive around the desert at 100mph which is what ford says its can do.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I haven’t had any problems getting through drive thrus (never even thought about the width being an issue I guess), but I haven’t gone through a bank drive thru in years. Those can be narrow and I never felt comfortable driving trucks through them. My luck I’d deposit 100 bucks and it would cost me 1000 if I hit something. I don’t think the seat is much higher than an FX4, maybe an inch or so, but you can lower the seat so that they are about the same, assuming you have power seats. The steering is great, no slop and I’ve noticed it goes straight on its own for a long time.
I don't notice the width at all.
I used to have a F250, and the Raptor seems like a car compared to it... maybe because it is not as long...

·
Registered
424 Posts
One thing about a previous post on Power Wagons. Try drifting or sidehilling a Power Wagon with 35s and a 2" lift. The insurance company won't be amused. Better yet, install a roll cage, the truck will need it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts