F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'm the first to ask this question, but whatever I buy will be my daily-driver as well as my hunting/hauling truck, and I really want to make sure before I commit. I know that it will do well in Baha, but how well will it do in the MUD and on log-trails that have dirt piled up across them to prevent wash-outs (about as big as a 2 ft. culvert)? Also, if I haul a 10,000 lb. 5th wheel camper, will air-bags be sufficient? Another thing, why didn't they use Nerf bars instead of an aluminum step that's SURE to get bent-up into the body? I actually use my Nerf bars to get over a lot of stuff in the woods. One last thing (I think) What's y'all's guestimate on the Raptor's MPG? I currently have a 4.6L Triton (single valve), a 5-speed Automatic tranny, 355 gears, 35" tires and get about 12.5 MPG. With 33" tires, I get about the same mileage, but is a little faster to accelerate. Your opinions?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Forget about the 5th wheel, Fords own numbers are 6000lb towing capacity, even if you use air bags the brakes might not be up to the task along with other aspects of the truck. I also feel that this truck will be more suited to west coast off-road use than east coast style of off road use. Lots of trade offs with this truck, it`s not going to push thru two feet of mud like a diesel powered Super Duty.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My current truck (99 F150 Supercab 4x4) wasn't supposed to be able to haul that much either...added Superlift springs, and it handles it just fine. The camper has its own brakes, as should anything being hauled that heavy. The brakes on the Raptor are FAR superior to the ones on my current truck. I only haul the camper on occasion, but haul normal loads fairly often...well within the specs of what the Raptor should haul.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I would not be hauling a 10,000 pounds camper with a 1/2 ton truck. Period. It's not safe, not to mention illegal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In 1999, when I got that truck, they were still offering an F-250 and a Super Duty 250...they were 2 completely different trucks. The F-250 was nothing more than an f-150 with more leaf-springs...so that is what mine is like now...not illegal in Louisiana by any means. Here, you run what you brung. Here, the only thing really illegal is marrying your first-cousin...then again, that one slips by sometimes as well.;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
dont ever try to pull 10K with a f150, its just not safe and you are also risking the lives of others by doing it. get a 250 or better yet a 350 if you want to haul that kind of weight... and most people in LA are idiots when it comes to common sense. ive lived here for over 2 years and some of the **** ive seen people tow with under classed trucks is just stupid... run what you got is a stupid way to look at it. that kinda thinking will get your ass in deep ****.

all the raptor is, is an f150 with better damped suspension and 4x4. nothing more...
even 6K is alot of weight for that truck.

·
Registered
802 Posts
dont ever try to pull 10K with a f150, its just not safe and you are also risking the lives of others by doing it. get a 250 or better yet a 350 if you want to haul that kind of weight... and most people in LA are idiots when it comes to common sense. ive lived here for over 2 years and some of the **** ive seen people tow with under classed trucks is just stupid... run what you got is a stupid way to look at it. that kinda thinking will get your ass in deep ****.

all the raptor is, is an f150 with better damped suspension and 4x4. nothing more...
even 6K is alot of weight for that truck.
I hope you're talking about the difference between a 250 SRW and a 350 DRW because the 250/350 SRW differences are very minor and they tow the same...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts