F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So unfortunately I just bought this truck Friday before last and next day noticed what turned out to be the IWE grinding sound. I brought the truck back to the dealer and explained what was going on. They vacuum tested the system and said it was all fine but noticed my driver side hub was damaged which was causing the vacuum leak. Picked the truck up yesterday after being assured it was fixed and it started making the noise again.
It does seem like this happens primarily when I’m on the freeway and try to accelerate, almost like when the truck is going into boost the IWE system is losing vacuum?
At this point I just drive around in 4A so I don’t have to hear it and I’m about ready to tell the dealer to give me my money back and I’ll go buy a truck somewhere else

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any insight or help would be appreciated, there is definitely a vacuum leak somewhere in this system that is affecting the IWE that their tech is not picking up

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have warranty on it, I'd keep taking it back to them. I did my IWE and it's easy. Mine somehow cracked perfectly where it still held vacuum but was engaged to the driver side axle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I’m going to make them pick it up from my house and drop a rental. I’ve spent enough of my time driving to and from their dealership. When I purchased the truck they delivered it and picked up my trade in, I think they should do the same now. They had this as a CPO vehicle but apparently never even test drove it before selling it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there has to be a correlation between this system and the turbos, I know the IWE pulls vacuum from the intake and it seems like when my turbos are spooling it’s pulling vacuum from this system

·
Registered
6 Posts
Def have them work it out. I just jacked up the truck enough for the wheels to be off the ground, turn the truck on (to pull vacuum) and spin the wheels. Driver side turned the axle. Replaced the drivers side IWE and all good. Good luck!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey Nick it’s the one way vacuum check valve. There is a right side and a left side. You will hear the premature engagement upon inclines and declines on freeways or roads at speed. It’s your check valve not holding. Also. Do not drive all over in 4 automatic. Your gas will suffer and you will prematurely wear everything out. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It sounds horrible and like it’s the turbos or transmission. It’s not. It’s the hub as you suspected. If there is damage. Get a new check valve and a new hub.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had the same problem with my gen 1 put the IWE delete kit hubs always connected. Eliminates the vac system and the guess “oh did they lock or not. Easy to install grease fittings and all. Good luck be safe

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks Echo. Good to know if mine go out again. Hopefully Nick gets it fixed. I agree with him. Buying a truck from a dealership new or used it should work and have some type of warranty. At least 30 to 90 day. I guess it is dependent on his state and their laws. Thanks again for the aftermarket tip. Good info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They basically ended up having to replace the entire IWE system, but it is now fixed and I haven’t had any more issues with it. Unfortunately it is now back at the dealer getting the cam phasers replaced lol. I haven’t even put 1000 miles on the truck yet or made the first payment

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey great news. Good job. Glad they fixed it. Look up all of the Rapdav18. Cam phaser timing issues. I’m on the 3rd set. All of my posts on here show photos and dealerships invoices of the work. Yes. Both of your issues have been mine and everyone’s issues too. They will install the updated parts. You should have smooth sailing once it’s back in your possession. Good luck and post when you get it back. 👍👍

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks man, I am definitely looking forward to actually being able to drive the truck. I have a 4 year 48k mile extended warranty so I am trying not to let it all bother me. I had a tundra that I sold to buy the raptor and I had it for 4 years and put 50k miles on it without a single issue so this stung a little bit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts