Votes: 70 27.2%
  • Stubby antenna

Votes: 187 72.8%
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would you opt for the stock antenna or a stubby to replace it? I saw a wonderful pick EXCEPT that there was a big black stripe that was the antenna slicing the Glacier in the back ground. Just from this picture I am going to see what I can find as a stubby replacement. I use sat radio anyway...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't care about the looks so much. I actually think my stubby antenna looks kinda wimpy. I had to choose between a short antenna or a scuffed longer antenna since it hit my garage going both in and out. I chose the short antenna. Mine is either 9 or 12", but I think the 16" would look better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd go for a nub. I'd prefer the thing be deleted to be honest. Power would have been OK but something else to break so my vote is the shorter the better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had to switch to a stubby with my current truck because it was hitting my house each time I pulled into the carport. I guess I'll see what the stock Raptor one does before making that decision. If I need to, I'll replace it with a stubby.

·
Registered
187 Posts
On my mustang I just shorten the orginal one to the length I wanted. I took off the top ball and just cut the base to the length I wanted and then a drop of JB Weld and I got a free shortie.:i_redface:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Keep in mind that if you do this, you need to cut it to the right length. A proper "half-wave" FM antenna is 57". You can definitely cut it down more than that, but it needs to be with that same ratio...half of that would be 28.5"; half of that would be 14.25", etc. One of the benefits of a store-bought shorty antenna is that they usually use antenna wire wrapped around an insulated core, so in effect, you have a longer antenna than it would be if it had just been straight wire...the longer the antenna, the better the reception.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have to agree with the stubby. I am pretty sure I will get rid of mine all together. or try to find a Cap with a signal amplifier so its almost gone

·
Registered
403 Posts
here is a picture of my mini antenna, way better than teh stock one.. i swear that thing was like 10ft lol

my autozone was a small store (and small selection) and i went to pep boys and they had the perfect size and cheap cheap 7$

·
Registered
290 Posts
What I don't like about those thick rubber ones is after you drive on the hwy for a while they end up all bent back. I prefer a thin "normal" looking shorty. Kinda hard to see in this picture but it's all I have handy.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts