F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 2018 801A. I am in Europe with the truck and since I will not be bringing it to the US, I did my own phaser replacement. When I started the engine, everything ran fine, but I keep getting p0521 low oil pressure 7-8 seconds after start up. I confirmed oil pressure is good. If I keep RPM above 1500 everything runs fine, and I don’t get the error. Connections to the oil switch behind the alternator was confirmed. Do you guys have any ideas?

One observation that I have is that when I turn the engine off, the passenger bank timing chain solenoids continue to click. Could the new cam phasers I installed be bad?

Any suggestions you guys have will appreciated.

Thank you,

Ivo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a 2018 801A. I am in Europe with the truck and since I will not be bringing it to the US, I did my own phaser replacement. When I started the engine, everything ran fine, but I keep getting p0521 low oil pressure 7-8 seconds after start up. I confirmed oil pressure is good. If I keep RPM above 1500 everything runs fine, and I don’t get the error. Connections to the oil switch behind the alternator was confirmed. Do you guys have any ideas?

One observation that I have is that when I turn the engine off, the passenger bank timing chain solenoids continue to click. Could the new cam phasers I installed be bad?

Any suggestions you guys have will appreciated.

Thank you,

Ivo
I know this sounds basic, but have you changed the oil and filter? Check for any bits in the oil. If the timing chain guide broke, then bits of it will be in the oil and could clog the filter or pickup tube.

Did you use Motorcraft phasers? If not, that could be the problem. Also, there is a specific procedure for replacing the phasers in the workshop manual, make sure you follow it. Lastly, if you are able to get the Motorcraft parts, then replace the timing chains and the lower sprocket when you replace the phasers. Inspect the timing chain guides and tensioner for breakage or wear.

Check timing chain alignment

Organism Font Rectangle Electric blue Pattern

Use new bolt for the phasers and torque them to spec.

Font Circle Auto part Electric blue Pattern

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yes, OEM parts were used. The issue is not with particles in the oil. It is an oil sensing or pressure control issue. Does this engine have a second oil sensor other then the one behind the alternator?

also, could you tell me why my timing chain selenides continue ticking after the engine is turned off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is an oil pressure control solenoid under the front engine cover, an oil pressure sensor on the oil pump, and each cam has an oil control solenoid.

Reactions: Black Hawk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this sounds basic, but have you changed the oil and filter? Check for any bits in the oil. If the timing chain guide broke, then bits of it will be in the oil and could clog the filter or pickup tube.

Did you use Motorcraft phasers? If not, that could be the problem. Also, there is a specific procedure for replacing the phasers in the workshop manual, make sure you follow it. Lastly, if you are able to get the Motorcraft parts, then replace the timing chains and the lower sprocket when you replace the phasers. Inspect the timing chain guides and tensioner for breakage or wear.

Check timing chain alignment

View attachment 29502

Use new bolt for the phasers and torque them to spec.

View attachment 29503

Hope that helps!
Well said - thanks for this

1 - 5 of 5 Posts