F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I took the Raptor up a pretty steep dirt pile. When I got to the top a low oil pressure warning came on and the truck shut it's self off. Rolled to the bottom and started the truck. Ran fine. Figured I'd share...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I was going slow, but it was only like 50 feet. It was one if those dirt hills you see were land is being cleared for new houses...

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Yeah, i know the ones, I've gone uphill at the dunes like that lots, but usually revving high, lol, I wonder if the oil p/up is at the front of the oil pan??

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yeah, i know the ones, I've gone uphill at the dunes like that lots, but usually revving high, lol, I wonder if the oil p/up is at the front of the oil pan??
Let's hope that's the case. If you're going downhill with the descent control button activated, you don't want the low oil pressure cut off killing the engine. Somebody more limber than me please look underneath to see if the 6.2 has a rear or front sump oil pan. That would confirm.
I learned a long time ago to keep the rev's up when ascending a hill. That is, with a V-8 engine 4WD.(Had two Dodge Ramchargers, very heavy, like the Raptor.)
On the original Jeep's with a 4 banger, you could put them in low range first gear, let the clutch out, no additional throttle, and it would climb most hills, inch by inch. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same thing happen to mine, same situation. I was going up a 30 deg incline, low pressure warning came on, truck died. I lost power steering and power brakes. Had to really crank on the steering wheel and slam on the brakes for them to work. Rolled backwards in neutral for a little while, started her up and she ran fine. Didn't try going back uphill though. I'm taking in back in to the dealership (I just bought it a couple days ago), they're gonna take a look at it. I'll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not a good thing if you live in the mountains though, like I do. I had a 100 ft cliff right next to me. I'm just concerned because the truck is brand new. The thing is a BEAST though, really happy I bought it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just got it back from the dealership. Mechanic couldn't say for sure what the problem was. He said it was most likely due to low RPMs, which would make sense in my case because I was creeping up the hill pretty slow. I might try getting in touch with somebody from SVT.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ive talked to a few people and they are telling me rpms wont have anything to do with pressure and were the oil is building up on steep angles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
low rpm does have an effect on oil pressure
Yeah, I'm thinking it is the low rpm's. rpm's would definitely have an effect on oil pressure, since the oil pump is just another component powered by the engine.

I just didn't realize it could drop low enough to completely shut off the engine. However, i've never driven a vehicle with such a complex computer as this one has. My previous truck was an '01, so maybe these new computers are just really over protective of system components.

Another thought is that it might be the oil shifting to the back of the oil pan. I know the gas tank in this thing is baffled though, to prevent fuel from sloshing around or sitting at the back when the truck has a negative force acting on it (high forward inertia or gravity going uphill). Anyone know if the oil pan is baffled as well?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread but just happened to me going up my driveway (10-12 degree pitch). I took a left into the driveway, there was a slight bounce as I went over the curb then stopped waiting for garage door to fully open. Came off the brake as I applied gas and just started rolling backwards IN DRIVE!!!!!! hit the brakes, got the "oil pressure low" indication as the engine cut out.

Tried to start it but wouldn't start so I backed up a bit to get the truck a little flatter and started fine. Checked the oil (had it changed less than a month ago) and levels were normal; oil looked clean.

Anyone else still seeing this? 2014 w/roughly 30k on her.

Any help/updates are appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts