MAF Sensor

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Performance Mods - 5.4 Triton V8' started by leadfoot1, Jan 5, 2015.

1. leadfoot1

leadfoot1 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2010 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 5.4L
    I take my truck off road every chance it get, its a pretty dirty truck. I just dropped $600 at the dealership getting a new Mass Air Flow Sensor. they said there was mud and dirt all up in there. How did it get in there!? If you know of any aftermarket stuff that could potentially keep this from happening again, let me know.

2. Big Bill

Big Bill Active Member Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2013 Whipple Raptor700+HP
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Lead foot sounds like you are enjoying your new Raptor and driving it the way Ford built it to be driven. Below is instructions on how to clean the MAF sensor. I hope this will save you a few $$. Next time you have that Bad Boy all muddy take a few pictures and post them for us to see.

The Mass Air Flow sensor is a very delicate sensor. It uses two wires to measure the amount of air flowing into the engine. The two wires are heated (by electricity) and the more electricity used to heat them tells the ECU how much air is flowing past them.

Between very fine dirt and the trend towards oiled filters it's very important to clean the MAF. Cleaning the MAF has so many benefits it's unreal. Between reducing pinging, increasing mileage, and preventing it from burning out (saving yourself $$$) as you found out the hard way there's no reason to not clean the MAF sensor once every 6 months.

Tools required to clean your Ford F150 MAF Mass Air Flow Sensor

You'll need a flat head screwdriver and Torx or Tamper Proof Torx bits. You can buy a whole set like I did or just get size T-20.

Now, it's time for an important note. It's ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. This is the only thing you should use to clean your MAF. Only ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. No windex, no carb cleaner, no brake cleaner, no rubbing alcohol, and no Q-Tips.

Step 1: Open the hood and locate your air box. If you can't find it...please stop right now and have a friend clean your MAF for you.

Step 2: Open the airbox and move the assembly up to give you room to work.

Step 3: Locate the plug on the bottom and move the grommet down to give you room.

Step 4: Take the flathead screwdriver and pop the four tabs holding the assembly in.

Step 5: Reach in and disconnect the wiring harness from the MAF. Don't rip the wires or anything!

Step 6: Remove the assembly. Locate the MAF and remove the two screws holding it in.

Step 7: Spray the living daylights out of the wires. Do NOT touch them. ABOSOLUTELY DO NOT TOUCH THEM. Those wires are very small and delicate.

Step 8: The installation is the reversal.

Do this once every 6 months and your MAF will continue to be clean and your performance won't suffer.

LZinAZ likes this.
  3. leadfoot1

leadfoot1 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2010 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 5.4L
    wow. You're awesome. thanks for the info.

4. Big Bill

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    You are welcome!:smileup:

5. Klavius Morph

Klavius Morph New Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2011 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ingot Silver
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but this really helped me out tonight. Got stranded a few days ago when she started sputtering and puking and lost power. Would re-start but only ran for a few seconds before quitting again, so ended up towing it home.

Pulled the MAF sensor tonight, cleaned it thoroughly with some CRC mass air flow cleaner from O'Reilly's ($8.99/can) - being very careful not to touch the element, plugged it back in and whammo! Running like a champ again.

Thanks Big Bill!

Big Bill likes this.
  6. Big Bill

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L