F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
If i wanted to go over some serious mud or through some swamps then yeah i would try these since i have seen what happens when even a purpose built rig gets stuck out there with their mud tires or super swampers. These would come in handy but the truck was built for dirt and sand so i do not think you will have much of a problem unless you lived in an area with heavy snow or a swamppy area and you needed to get somewhere quick without worring about getting stuck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Those track systems are pretty awesome, but you are limited in the speed you can travel. With the wide stance of the Raptor, they might make sense if you were using it at a ski resort or something. But that's where snowmobiles come into the picture.

·
Banned
0 Posts
The biggest adavantage these have is their contact patch; think snowshoes... They sprea the weight over a much larger area to sit on top of the snow, rather than knife thru it.

The same idea would apply in the mud, but to a much lesser extent I suppose. The mud would probably gum up the tracks, adding a huge amount of rotational weight. I'd be worried about the axles with these in the mud.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've played with the Mattracks on a Toyota Land Cruiser...

They are fun for a while because you simply cannot get the vehicle stuck. It's unstoppable and ridiculously smooth - the tracks act like a long hulled boat in choppy water.

But - that also takes the fun out of it.

The tracks are a great improvement if you need ultimate mobility - and do not want to get stuck - or have a job to do and can't afford to get stuck.

But if getting stuck is part of your fun, and you really just wanna go fast - stick to the 35" tires.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Except for the icy roads everything else in video shows him driving downhill. Nothing of Block driving uphill. If you put the Raptor on a ski slope pointing downhill it can certainly perform nearly identical to the Subaru.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Except for the icy roads everything else in video shows him driving downhill. Nothing of Block driving uphill. If you put the Raptor on a ski slope pointing downhill it can certainly perform nearly identical to the Subaru.

Yeah, it seems like he got the okay to drive on some slopes and used the roads to get up the hill. Not that impressive. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any REALLY impressive vids of those tracks. I think the best ones are the vids of quads and side by sides. I've seen vids of them in powder and going uphill and they work very well. The quads I've personally seen out in the snow get up hills pretty good as long as there isn't too much powder but you can buy a used snowmachine for what those Mattracks cost.

I won't speculate on a truck that weighs over 5,000 pounds with all-terrains performing "nearly identical" to a much lighter vehicle with more power and Mattracks (made for the snow) in any situation. That would be silly. I hope noone tries this.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
See I would think that the Raptor @ nearly 6000 lbs. would fare well on the downhill, especially with hill decent on. It weighs twice as much as the Subaru = more stability plus again, hill decent.

But yes, I would not want to try it out and I think someone would be foolish to give it a shot.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thinking about what you said makes me more disappointed in that vid. Unless the snow was deep enough to where the Raptor would get stuck, and it doesn't appear to be, you could probably make a "nearly identical" video without the Mattracks. Drive up the road and plow down the slope. Might have to choose your route carefully but it seems plausible. I expect more out of Ken Block and Mattracks. Hopefully, the teaser at the end results in some better action. Mattracks ads don't really make me wanna go out and drop thousands on their product. I've seen them on quads and side by sides and I know they work well on them but their ads are not overly impressive.

·
Registered
802 Posts
It seems like people on here a bit against tracks on vehicles but really with track kits you can go ANYWHERE. On side by side ATV's with tracks I've seen them go through some pretty knarly stuff that was no cakewalk on my snowmobile (m1000 162" track if anyone cares). These on a Raptor would be crazy good in the mud or snow. The only downfall is the price.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It seems like people on here a bit against tracks on vehicles but really with track kits you can go ANYWHERE. On side by side ATV's with tracks I've seen them go through some pretty knarly stuff that was no cakewalk on my snowmobile (m1000 162" track if anyone cares). These on a Raptor would be crazy good in the mud or snow. The only downfall is the price.

Interesting. I could see them having a bigger contact area but they also have a lot more weight and less power. I would think your sled, which is one of the best sleds for steep mountians and deep powder, weighs about 540#'s. A big quad is gonna weigh more than that without the trax. The quad probably has around 50 maybe 60 horsepower, I'm guessing. You're sled has about 170 stock. It seems to me that your sled should dominate anything on trax but I haven't seen them out too much. I've heard they do good and seen a couple little vids but I wouldn't think they would get a review as flattering as yours. Good to know and good for Mattracks, I guess. Thanks.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Interesting. I could see them having a bigger contact area but they also have a lot more weight and less power. I would think your sled, which is one of the best sleds for steep mountians and deep powder, weighs about 540#'s. A big quad is gonna weigh more than that without the trax. The quad probably has around 50 maybe 60 horsepower, I'm guessing. You're sled has about 170 stock. It seems to me that your sled should dominate anything on trax but I haven't seen them out too much. I've heard they do good and seen a couple little vids but I wouldn't think they would get a review as flattering as yours. Good to know and good for Mattracks, I guess. Thanks.
I didn't mean it was following me up a shoot or anything like that or actually comparing it what a snowmobile could do speed/performance wise, just it was back in some pretty deep snow pretty damn far from the parking lot. I kind of exaggerated on 'no cakewalk'. I just meant it wasn't simply hard packed snow but 18"+ of powder no tired vehicle would have ever made it up. This was an Arctic Cat Prowler that I saw. Heres another picture I saw on a snowmobile website (this picture was taken in McCall). Thats going through about 8" of fresh on top of a snowmobile trail.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like that pic.

I understand what you're saying about them now. Good to know. Thanks for elaborating.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts