Mechanical Rubbing Sound... Metal On Metal

Discussion in 'GEN 1' started by I DRTY I, Oct 13, 2017.

1. I DRTY I

I DRTY I New Member Military Public Safety

Vehicle?:
    2010 6.2L Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    2010 SCAB 6.2... sound at first made me think rotors/calipers rubbing, but brake application doesn't take away the noise. Occurs after letting off throttle and coasting, happens at all speeds. Sounds like poorly lubricated metal on metal. Read a lot about transfer case issues but I'm rarely ever in 4 wheel drive. Also read about a driveshaft recall I'm sure the truck hasn't had. I'm at 85,000 miles, any ideas or people with similar noise? It's definitely a new sound and not normal.

2. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    -Have you checked all your fluids? I'm thinking differential, especially rear, and transmission but it doesn't hurt to check all of them.
    -Can you tell if the noise is coming any one particular side of the vehicle or front/rear?
    -Do you know when the noise started? Recent off-road adventure? Bottomed out somewhere?
    -Can you get it up in the air, on jackstands maybe, and spin wheels and shafts manually? You should be able to determine if the noise is mechanical or motor related. I don't recommend starting it and spinning up the wheels unless it is on a shop type lift. If it falls off a jackstand at high speed a very dangerous situation would develop quickly.
    -Can you have picked up some debris from somewhere and are hearing it rub? Maybe a limb or piece of brush from the afore mentioned off-road adventure.

I've only had my 2014 about six weeks so not sure what else to ask but as a former auto technician I'd ask the questions above. Running out of ideas so we'll need more from you as you have a chance to reply.

Best of luck doing your inspection,
    Larry

3. guardrail

guardrail Member

Vehicle?:
    2011 Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I've had a U-joint make some weird noises like that