F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
With 4:10 gearing it will not be great with the 5.4 and with the 6.2 it could be in the gutter. Ford was real good in hiding the MPG when the new diesel motor came out in 08. MY F-450 gets between 8-10 MPG being conservative with the right foot, when the foot gets heavy MPG is 5-7.

Here in SoCal gas is going up quick, some stations selling ethel for 3.69 and will be over 4.00 by mid summer. I believe this could be why the 6.2 will not be released until winter when fuel prices drop a little.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nothing official yet, only guesses. Here is what I think. I know it’s 4.10 gears but the taller tires and 6 speed should help considerably. I also never use ethanol as it gives me lower MPG. With all of that in mind I hope to hit 18 hwy and maybe even 20. I see people with normal F150’s getting 20+ so I don’t think that’s too unreasonable. If not, oh well, I don’t really care one way or the other.

My sport trac easily gets above the 20 it is rated at so in my experience they are worst case scenarios. I always got great mileage in my Mustang GT too. So no matter what they rate it I should be able to get better.

Now if I’m romping on it and racing I won’t even look at the mileage for that tankJ I was 4 wheeling in my ST this weekend and spot checked it – the computer said I was getting 6 MPG, and I don’t doubt that at all the way I floored it through the mudholes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nothing official yet, only guesses. Here is what I think. I know it’s 4.10 gears but the taller tires and 6 speed should help considerably.
I've never seen bigger tires improve the fuel economy, especially 35's, and, in fact, quite the opposite. This truck is also wider, so has more frontal area. The current truck is 14/18 with the 5.4 and 6-speed auto. I think economy will be down 1-2 mpg, so perhaps 13/17 or 12/16.

Michael

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've never seen bigger tires improve the fuel economy, especially 35's, and, in fact, quite the opposite. This truck is also wider, so has more frontal area. The current truck is 14/18 with the 5.4 and 6-speed auto. I think economy will be down 1-2 mpg, so perhaps 13/17 or 12/16.

Michael
Well larger diameter tires helps by keeping the engine RPM down at speed. In my experience they can improve hwy economy and reduce economy in town. Larger rims and more tire mass can reduce the positive effect. Depends on a lot of factors though.

I also think the official rating will be about 13/17, which is why I am hoping to get 18 or more. I don't care about the economy itself, just the range limitation that comes with it. With such a tiny tank and no room for a bigger one I don't want to fill up every 300 miles, it would be nice to hit 450+ per tank. I have the unique ability to get great mileage while still having all my passengers tell me I drive too fast and wild :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
odd, I lost mpg in my f250 (v10) when I put 35" tires on it. Not only does more rotational mass make it harder to stop, but harder to get going. (thanks 8th grade physics;))

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does anyone have any idea what this thing is supposed to get for mpg's with either engine ?
Guys, I remember reading on one of the other forums from one of the pre production model test people for the (6.2), I believe he said 11 mpg in city with no estimate given on the highway. I will see if I can dig that back up!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
holy carp.. 4:10 ???

Any idea of what the redline for both motors are ?
I had a 69' mach1 SCJ with a 3:91 rear, only thing it couldn't pass was a gass station !
Sounds like this truck might be pretty squirelly on wet pavement

·
Registered
153 Posts
Guys, I remember reading on one of the other forums from one of the pre production model test people for the (6.2), I believe he said 11 mpg in city with no estimate given on the highway. I will see if I can dig that back up!!!
I remember reading that too, but don't look to hard for it, I think that the whole thread was removed....

·
Registered
12 Posts
holy carp.. 4:10 ???

Any idea of what the redline for both motors are ?
I had a 69' mach1 SCJ with a 3:91 rear, only thing it couldn't pass was a gass station !
Sounds like this truck might be pretty squirelly on wet pavement
35 inch tires will compensate for that, well, except maybe the gas station part.:smileup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Low gearing, big tires, huge front end. I'm guessing that the best highway mileage could be 16-18. Hopefully it has cylinder shutoff tech to help.

It's a play truck, with a side dish of practicality.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am just as confused about this Flex-Fuel this as everyone else is. I read throught the E85 Wiki and stumbled upon these comments:

"E85 consumes more fuel in flex fuel type vehicles when the vehicle uses the same compression for both E85 and gasoline because of its lower stoichiometric fuel ratio and lower heating value."

"E85 also gets less MPG, at least in flex fuel vehicles."

"Although ethanol contains about 65% by volume of the energy that gasoline does, the per gallon cost of E85 is 75% the price of regular unleaded gasoline. The overall consumer cost of E85 is close to E10, and any short term price advantage is usually lost because vehicles usually burn E85 quicker than regular fuel."

Now I understand that E85 is the future and all, but was it smart of Ford to make their new SVT Flagship High Performance Truck a Flex-Fuel vehicle?

I hope someone here can shed some more light on this subject as it's thoroughly confusing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well larger diameter tires helps by keeping the engine RPM down at speed. In my experience they can improve hwy economy and reduce economy in town. Larger rims and more tire mass can reduce the positive effect. Depends on a lot of factors though.

I also think the official rating will be about 13/17, which is why I am hoping to get 18 or more. I don't care about the economy itself, just the range limitation that comes with it. With such a tiny tank and no room for a bigger one I don't want to fill up every 300 miles, it would be nice to hit 450+ per tank. I have the unique ability to get great mileage while still having all my passengers tell me I drive too fast and wild :smiley_thumbs_up:
Dajohu (or anyone else)- Now that you have had your trucks for a while, what kind of driving are you doing and what kind of mileage are you seeing? Moderator: is there a 'sticky' or a 'poll'-type topic that you could post that would easily allow all Raptor owners to update their miles and MPG's? Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am waiting until I get it fully broken in and run a few tanks through it before I do my official assessment (and report for those interested). I barely have 1000 miles and have not used cruise or done any steady hwy driving since you're not supposed to until after 1000 miles. I don't drive as much anymore since I graduated and that was about 250 miles per week all by itself.

I don't have my sheet in front of me but I think it was between 15 and 17 for the first two or three tanks. This current tank (according to the computer) is just under 14 and is almost all in town, some racing and lots of full throttles:) Keep in mind I have been playing around with the off road mode, 4WD and the locker, pulled a trailer and car a couple times, and even burning out a bit.

I am quite happy so far but can't wait to drive some good hwy miles and see what I can get. I still hope I can hit 18 but I doubt I will ever get 20 from what I've seen. We shall see.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am just as confused about this Flex-Fuel this as everyone else is.
Now I understand that E85 is the future and all, but was it smart of Ford to make their new SVT Flagship High Performance Truck a Flex-Fuel vehicle?

I hope someone here can shed some more light on this subject as it's thoroughly confusing.
Here is the very little i know about biofuels. It wasn't a bad idea for Ford to make the Raptor with a 5.4l flex fuel engine. It's true that it does get less gas mileage when using E85, however, E85 usually costs less than standard gasoline. It's important to note that most of the ethanol obtained to make E85 is made from corn and various other grains...and by that i mean actual grains themselves. The US Department of Energy claims that soon, ethanol will be able to be obtained from cellulosic materials (i.e. grass clippings, wood waste, corn HUSKS, and a multitude of other fibrous plant materials and scrap agricultural plant matter)

What makes E85 cost so much at the moment is a combination of corn prices, fertilizer prices, transportation costs for the corn and fuel, and the non-renewable energy sources used to produce the ethanol. If everything goes as planned, in the future E85 can be cheaply made when combined with cellulosic materials and renewable energy sources used in it's production.

As for the performance/gas mileage aspect...E85 puts out 2/3 of the BTUs that normal gasoline does...which equals about a third less gas mileage when compared to gasoline. Like i said, it's a bit cheaper...but there are only around 2k gas stations that sell E85, and most of those are in the Midwest. Thankfully, the Flex fuel vehicles can run on standard gasoline with a marginal reduction in power output. The advertised HP and Torque for the Raptor, if i'm not mistaken, is when it's using E85...so i think when it uses normal gasoline that it's HP is closer to 310 and torque around 365 if i'm not mistaken. All i know for sure is that Flex fuel engines have higher performance numbers when using E85 because E85's octane is around 105 and allows for much higher compression.

Hopefully that answered your question...

·
Registered
433 Posts
What does the raptor rev at 60mph??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Raptor MPG 's

Dajohu (or anyone else)- Now that you have had your trucks for a while, what kind of driving are you doing and what kind of mileage are you seeing? Moderator: is there a 'sticky' or a 'poll'-type topic that you could post that would easily allow all Raptor owners to update their miles and MPG's? Thanks.
All you owners out there: Now that you've had your rigs for a while, what kind of mileage are you posting: City/mixed/highway??

Moderator: is there a 'sticky' or a 'poll'-type topic that you could post that would easily allow all Raptor owners to update their miles and MPG's? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts