F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Ford truck guy. I've owned four Raptors (2-Gen 1's and 2-Gen 2's) plus two King Ranch 4x4 F-150's and other Ford cars, trucks and vans.

The best of them? Hands down the Gen 1 Raptor. My Gen 2's are/were certainly the best looking truck ever built by any manufacturer, followed closely by the Gen 1's. But I'm just not happy or excited about the Gen 2.

First, the V-6. It get's exactly the same highway mileage my two Gen 1's got, 17.5 mpg at 55-60mph. I know they say the V-6 is more powerful than the 6.2 V-8 but it sure doesn't feel that way to me, and it sounds...well...anemic.

Second, that insanely stupid auto stop/start thing. What morons at Ford thought that was a good idea. Let's face it, a Raptor is a hot rod truck and who cares what the fuel mileage is. The default for the Raptor should be that auto atop is disabled and the button should be pushed to turn it on. And why doesn't it remember the setting? My BMW X5 M does. Like I said, morons.

Third, the transmission on the Gen 2 is a piece of crap. I had my '17 Gen 2 for about four hours before I sold it and bought...shudder...a '17 Ram Rebel...which aside from the terrible air bag suspension and the stupid dial shifter, was a really good truck, and fast. But after a year the Raptor's siren song was calling me and I ordered an '18. Surely in a year Ford fixed the transmission issues right? Nope. Still just as clunky, banging and jerky as ever.

Fourth, the engine light that keeps coming on and going off and coming on for no known reason. A "communication" issue Ford says, with no idea how to fix it. Fortunately it drives fine light on or off. But give me a break.

Fifth, how about the mysterious "my key fob isn't recognized" glitch. Boy the first time that happens is a bit freaky. An '18 Raptor that you can't start, and the nearest dealer is three hours away. Of course you find out that if you take the cover out of the bottom of the forward drink holder there is a slot specially made just so you can bypass this glitch. REALLY? Don't you think fixing the glitch is a better solution then creating a hack around it. Hire some better engineers for heaven sakes!

After 10,000 miles on my '18 Gen 2 I'm done with it. For me it's lost its mystique, it's charm.

I just ordered a '19 4x4 F-350 Dually. Never had a big truck like this before. Looking forward to driving something that isn't and won't remind me of my former love of Raptors.

God I miss analog cars and trucks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My wife bought a 18 expedition and I agree with you that dial turner for park reverse and drive is lame! Thanks for the scoop on the front cup holder secret. Sorry you had a bad experience it stinks to get your dream truck and be disappointed ☹

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe you could find a nice gen1 and mod it out the way you want it. Put that smile back on your face.
Funny you would say that cause I actually thought something similar for folks that ask me about how to get a great Raptor. Certainly something for me to consider, get the clean example of a Gen 1, then redo the interior and repaint the truck and drop in a new motor and nearly have a new truck. Something to think about for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know man how you feel. I don't typically write on forums. But I felt like the world should know the truth before even considering to buy something that's full of shit.

So I have about 44000 miles on mine and I had nothing but terrible time with #gen2. Its clunky. Rear suspension squeaks all the time. Transmission is a piece of ****. If you wanna go from Reverse to Drive quickly in some parking spots, go have a cup of coffee cz it will take some time to shift.

And to top all that Ford service department is full of crappy people. I am sorry but that's true.
Recently I started to have IWE vacuum valve assembly issue. I took it to the dealer they kept the truck for 25 days and did not provide me any loaner. I paid close to 78k for it and no loaner. Damn you buy a BMW or any other euro brand for 40k and you still get loaner. Anyways the dealer said it's the transmission issue that's causing the noise. It felt like something will break on highway. Huge rattling sounds from front wheels under body.

25 days later I get the truck back and its the same damn noise from front end.
I called dealer back and they said bring it back and we will have a look at it. I said well I will be without a car for next 25 days again let me do a little research and found lot of other f150 owners had this issue and its caused by a 9 bucks bad harness. If Ford service department can't figure that out I am sorry all I can say is f*** Ford. I can't wait to sell it now. Really pissed on the quality and customer service. Kept 5 Ford cars till now and won't recommend it to my enemy either.
So before you die hard ford fan boys jump on me and act like your so damn brand loyal. I have paper work to prove that what David McDavid Ford in Fort Worth did to the truck for 25 days and that's where the truck was purchased and serviced. Yes I can drop it off for warranty issue again but if someone buys a truck and of this caliber you expect it to last and have some better quality parts used. I don't have time to be always making trip to dealer and leave my work. My friend kept making fun of me since his 3500 cash car with 183k miles have 0 issues but Ford in 40k miles is having issues. I think I will be collecting its remaining parts off the street at 100k miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a Ford truck guy. I've owned four Raptors (2-Gen 1's and 2-Gen 2's) plus two King Ranch 4x4 F-150's and other Ford cars, trucks and vans.

The best of them? Hands down the Gen 1 Raptor. My Gen 2's are/were certainly the best looking truck ever built by any manufacturer, followed closely by the Gen 1's. But I'm just not happy or excited about the Gen 2.

First, the V-6. It get's exactly the same highway mileage my two Gen 1's got, 17.5 mpg at 55-60mph. I know they say the V-6 is more powerful than the 6.2 V-8 but it sure doesn't feel that way to me, and it sounds...well...anemic.

Second, that insanely stupid auto stop/start thing. What morons at Ford thought that was a good idea. Let's face it, a Raptor is a hot rod truck and who cares what the fuel mileage is. The default for the Raptor should be that auto atop is disabled and the button should be pushed to turn it on. And why doesn't it remember the setting? My BMW X5 M does. Like I said, morons.

Third, the transmission on the Gen 2 is a piece of crap. I had my '17 Gen 2 for about four hours before I sold it and bought...shudder...a '17 Ram Rebel...which aside from the terrible air bag suspension and the stupid dial shifter, was a really good truck, and fast. But after a year the Raptor's siren song was calling me and I ordered an '18. Surely in a year Ford fixed the transmission issues right? Nope. Still just as clunky, banging and jerky as ever.

Fourth, the engine light that keeps coming on and going off and coming on for no known reason. A "communication" issue Ford says, with no idea how to fix it. Fortunately it drives fine light on or off. But give me a break.

Fifth, how about the mysterious "my key fob isn't recognized" glitch. Boy the first time that happens is a bit freaky. An '18 Raptor that you can't start, and the nearest dealer is three hours away. Of course you find out that if you take the cover out of the bottom of the forward drink holder there is a slot specially made just so you can bypass this glitch. REALLY? Don't you think fixing the glitch is a better solution then creating a hack around it. Hire some better engineers for heaven sakes!

After 10,000 miles on my '18 Gen 2 I'm done with it. For me it's lost its mystique, it's charm.

I just ordered a '19 4x4 F-350 Dually. Never had a big truck like this before. Looking forward to driving something that isn't and won't remind me of my former love of Raptors.

I hear ya! ANALOG TRUCKS RULE!

But.. that’s enlightening. I’ve wondered what the gen 2 was like to own And I’ve never loved the looks of the 2. It’s a Chevy design for Christ sakes.
The gen 1 is the ONLY raptor. Like a sequel to anshitty movie, you only remember the first one, and from what I’ve driven, if you put a supercharged coyote 5.0 in it, and you’re ecoboost woes are
Over. The coyote lightens the front of a gen 1
6.2, and becomes more nimble with the 600+HP.
THats my plan, at least. Coyote:

But Sorry dude. And for ford to have such entitled incompetent service in all dealerships I’ve been to, is ridiculous. I get the whole “it’s a new design and they’re not all schooled on it yet” excuse, but they had 2 years off for R&D!!, and schooling service centers! And like the guy said, even Audi gives my lady a loaner and bends over backwards to serve her. Ford is rude and charges $250 to diagnose, $150 first hour, $250 second hour, $350 third hour... ya better have a warranty!

I love my GEN 1 2013 ecoraptor. First turbo raptor. 2 years before ford. It has a rad tune, gen 2 turbos, exhaust. Everything you could do except rods and pistons. Over 500HP and 600TQ.
It’s certainly way faster than my friends 6.2. Nimble and snappy. EXCEPT THE LAG!!

Next move is to swap for a V8 supercharged coyote with 700hp and (WAS gonna try having a 10 speed trans race built. Maybe not now that you’ve posted this) Maybe the 6R80 after all.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just in case Ford is listening...

Sixth, we finally have snow, so for the next 5-6 months I'll be driving in 4A and Snow mode. Actually probably only 2.5 months as by then the F350 4x4 Dually should be in. Sure would be nice if in addition to remembering the setting for the auto stop/start the Raptor would remember what mode is was left in.

You know, somehow for the last 51 years I managed to successfully use 4WD trucks and Jeeps that just had Hi/Lo transfer case and 2WD/4WD and locking/unlocking hubs- and I did it in desert, sand dunes, mud, snow and ice- all without a "thinking transmission" and "traction control". It's a wonder I'm still alive I guess.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Put 80k miles on a 2010 Oxford white 6.2L extended cab and loved every minute of it.Treated it good but drove it hard. Not one single issue. Loved the white face gauge cluster, playing DVD on built in screen, super cushy suspension, shorter wheelbase, no 6.2L badging and a couple other small things that slip my ancient mind. Had the tailgate extender/divider.

Traded that in for 2013 Race Red SCREW, actually got a deal on the new one and old one had held value even with 80k miles. Liked the pause feature on running time and data displaying gallons consumed in addition to remaining range. Seems like this one had built in WiFi that occupants could connect to as a hotspot. Really was in to the new headlights and bead-lock rims. Loved the Red too. Heated steering wheel was missed since I had it in most all other vehicles. Turn signals were return to center default, which was kinda weird. Only rolled 30k miles in this one, in such good shape that when I traded it in, they kept asking me what was wrong with it. There had been zero issues with this Raptor, just like the 2010.

Currently, 2018 Leadfoot SCREW, traded in for only $7k less than what I paid for the 2013 Race Red, crazy good hold on value. Have nearly 30k miles on 2018 in 14 months. Have extended warranty to 125k. The 2018 feels more refined overall. I got to drive some 2017 at the Raptor Assault Driving School and the updates between those two years seemed evident.

In hindsight, I should have kept them all.

Things I do not like on 2018:

Do not like the huge sunroof. I would not have ordered it but settled for it since the only Leadfoot without any graphics I could find at the time, had it. Thing prolly weighs far more than it is worth. Ford is so proud of shaving the weight off that there is 200 pounds of ballast needed over the rear axle to really balance out the truck. Driving a properly setup Raptor with proper tire pressure 38/32 is a sweet feeling indeed. Oh but lets stick in this huge sun roof with glass and mechanisms!

Plastic oil pan? Seems kinda suspect to me. And a corresponding plastic drain plug? Buying an extra just to carry in the glove box.

B&O sounds great but not loud enough for a deaf old dude like me listening to Slayer...

Wifi is for updating SYNC - only? Uh, Houston, we have a problem. Seems like a step or two backwards.

Sound of V6 vs V8

Not sold on aluminium durability

Collision avoidance has randomly gone off when it shouldn't

Mileage worse or same as V8

Things I do like on the 2018:

Color

New bead-lock rim design

SYNC and Android Auto work great

Heated steering wheel

Heated rear seats

Adaptive Cruise - love it

Lane Keeping Assistant - love it

AWD setting

Great snow/weather mode, rock crawl works great

Cameras work great, backup assistant screen improved

It does feel faster to me. 6.2L V8 felt better for towing.

Better interior layout throughout

If I order a new one, it would be non-SCREW, no sunroof. All in all, I'm still a Raptor buyer aspiring to be a Raptor collector. Might buy a couple to rent out on Turo...

There do seem to have been more recall issues including a couple I need to go in for. I suppose expected from a digital truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only have had my 2018 for about 5 weeks and I really like it. Being an older person, it is thrilling to drive a truck like this to get the feel back of driving an old muscle car but with modern features. Mine is Race Red and I get a lot of looks. Thinking of changing the cold air intake and doing a retune to get a couple miles more in mpg as well as power boost. I had to tell my wife I am keeping it 5 years before I trade it in. I normally trade within 3 years but, this is a pricy truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Ok this is my take on this.. Had a new 2011 for 7 years. 135 k miles when sold. Yeah had a few issues such as the AC and sunroof but i really used this truck for everything. Sold it for another Superduty. Sold that 7 months later because I missed my Raptor. Bought a new 2018. Phaser had to be fixed, AC broke, sunroof countless times and its still messed up. Installed a Corsa Extreme and CAI. Worse decision ever. The “ exhaust tone “ sucks when going traffic light to traffic light. 74-81drones bad. I had this exhaust on my Gen 1 and it was perfect. Not so much on a Gen 2. I hate the jerkyness of the turbos. Fast yes, but nothing like a normal gas engine. Sold it for a nice 2014 with 29k miles. Doesnt look as nice as my Gen 2 inside and out but it feels like home again No turbo BS, no lag, just power when I need it. Actually feel like I got my man card back. Nothing wrong with a Gen 2 if you are a person who likes updated and fancy things, but the Gen 1 is nothing short of the beat 1/2 ton performance truck ever. less crap tp go wrong. I had29k miles on my Gen 2 and I was afraid that I needed to buy an extended warranty. Yeah the Gen 2 does not have a warranty but it hasa heavy ass gas guzzler V8 that makes me smile again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts