F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to pick out the options I want and for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would pay so much for the Navigation System! I there something I am missing? I can get a Tom Tom for a couple hundred dollars and save a fortune. Other than the tiny music jukebox that's included and the fact that you can see the backup camera much larger...what am I missing? I don't plan to pay for monthly services, so the little news update and weather update thing(y) really don't appeal to me. Can anyone with actual experience with one of these throw me a bone?:wavey:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, you make valid points and one I didn't think of until now would be damaging the nav system by putting it through so much stress ie offroad. With saying that, here are a few pros to having the unit even though it is expensive:

-Integrated features...important new car investment
-Blue-Tooth
-As funny as it sounds, harder to steal b/c it's stationary as opposed to a tom tom on the dash BUT on the flip side you can remove the tom tom every time you exit if you wish
-Re-sale value...important new car investment
-Re-sale marketing...important new car investment
-Wow factor
-The feeling that your new ride is a part of the 21st century
-Listen to Sat radio in the middle of no-where
-Weather update is kinda cool but also kinda lame in a Raptor...it's made for DIRT!
-Bigger Screen than a tom tom
-Touchscreen
-It's Cool Dude
-And last but not least Chicks dig it b/c they don't know how to use it which makes us men feel smarter + keeps 'em from messin with your radio settings. :git:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The navigation systems that come on the Ford trucks are out dated even the one on the Raptor, I have the factory nav. system on my 08 450 Super Duty and it`s really out dated, compared to the Tom Tom ect. The display on the portables along with the information and downloads far surpasses the Ford factory units. I bought a portable and never use the factory unit. I told myself that i would never buy the factory unit on a Ford truck again. Today on Amazon they were having a Gold box deal on a portable that retailed for $800, todays price was $169. The navigation system is the one option that i will not buy, i have learned my lesson.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agreed with you until i got in and played with the rators nav. Yes it is exspensive, But i thi its worth it. And if you think its outdated, try the dodge Nav units....

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
All I have heard is that it's awesome. I like the fact that it's a dvd player also and that everything is intergrated through it, sync and bluetooth for example. Something else I just remembered is that you can "breadcrumb" your route.....which means it will put dots every so often on your route, that way you can see exactly which way you came from and can just follow that back out. Very helpful for finding your way back out of a neighborhood, downtown city and especially for a Raptor, a trail that you took off-road. That alone is standout reason for me. I don't know if the aftermarket units do it or not.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got to see and drive a Blue one today that also had the Navigation setup as well as EVERY option available. After seeing the Nav., I don't think I will be getting that option...just NOT worth that kind of money for some novelty I'll rarely use. I think I will spend the same amount of money on a good winch, which I know I'll definitely use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The navigation systems that come on the Ford trucks are out dated even the one on the Raptor, I have the factory nav. system on my 08 450 Super Duty and it`s really out dated, compared to the Tom Tom ect. The display on the portables along with the information and downloads far surpasses the Ford factory units. I bought a portable and never use the factory unit. I told myself that i would never buy the factory unit on a Ford truck again. Today on Amazon they were having a Gold box deal on a portable that retailed for $800, todays price was $169. The navigation system is the one option that i will not buy, i have learned my lesson.
i may be wrong but i read somewheres that the ones coming in the raptors and maybe other fords as well are different than what would be in your 08...i think it was on another F-150 forum....i think it was a guy asking if he could swap out his 08 navi for a 2010 navi...like i said, i may be wrong and wouldnt doubt it..but i thought id share

·
Registered
41 Posts
So the navigation player in the Raptor is also a DVD player? However it can only be played in park correct?

·
Registered
126 Posts
All I have heard is that it's awesome. I like the fact that it's a dvd player also and that everything is intergrated through it, sync and bluetooth for example. Something else I just remembered is that you can "breadcrumb" your route.....which means it will put dots every so often on your route, that way you can see exactly which way you came from and can just follow that back out. Very helpful for finding your way back out of a neighborhood, downtown city and especially for a Raptor, a trail that you took off-road. That alone is standout reason for me. I don't know if the aftermarket units do it or not.
It also has the back roads and forest trails out here in AZ.

The steep parts flash purple too.

I can tell it to map a route, avoid certain roads and it will map the route through the back country. Really neat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts