F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Great site. I've learned more about the Raptor here then I could at the Dealer. :smileup:

Right now I'm waiting to see the final numbers on the 6.2 Raptor before I do anything. My current ride is a 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche. It just never had the power I needed, but I love the SUV ride it had for long trips. For those who have driven the Raptor what would be the biggest changes going from the Avalanche to Raptor that would make the jump worth while? I know they are two different beast. I was thinking changes like space inside the cab, gas milage and how the sony speakers sound? Also do we know when the 6.2 will be ready for orders? Thanks.

Here is a photo of my current truck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

How much miles on ur chevy? and did do any up grads? i could tell u have up lifting there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just over 50,000 miles on her. Alot of good memories in many states and back roads or lack of. ;)

The list of mods are way to long to list here. I do know back in 2002 I was the first to make my own white face gauges and dials for the Avalanche. I think I hold alot of "firsts" for that frame. :smiley_thumbs_up:

She's got a lift and a body lift. Rockford Tranny and rear end housing. I busted one trans on some rocks and sand down in Mojave in like 2006. So I rebuilt it strong. Engine has a few mods, but I never got around to choosing a supercharger or turbo for it. the truck really needs one to get it out of trouble. A great trail blazer at high speeds, but she didn't like slower speeds climbing rocks or hills. Chevy didn't have a clue what gears to put in this truck.

Alot of what I used the AV for is what the Raptor was built for. I think it will be a perfect upgrade from what I have now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since u have good momery with ur lady, then i think if spend around 10.000 us dolllars u would be better off. good super charger, long travel shocks with dampers, recondition the elctronics & engine and squential gear ****ting. by this up grades u will have lovely lady that capable of going up and down sand dunes, taking sharp off road corners and do some airbornes.

Think about it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it took me this long to realize I had the wrong truck to start with. I was sold on the folding bed and suv ride and I hardly use the folding midgate. She is just to heavy and long. The wheelbase is a killer.

She has jumped a few times. Got wicked video of it someplace, it was a small jump into a stream. big splash. :smileup:

I need something realiable. I've been reading how SVT has been testing the new motors to the max and how the shocks are good for 10 years. Things like that have grabbed my mind and thoughts. Plus it will be a small step up in MPG.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome. Nice Avalanche. I think the Raptor is built for what you built your Av to do. May still need a few changes if you plan on hitting the rocks with it, but not as many as your current ride needed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah. I've made up my mind to wait for the 6.2 Raptor :smileup:

I do wish I had not seen the 4 door coming out, but the shocks and motor were custom tuned & made for the supercab so why would you take a chance on the 4 door right?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've owned mustangs my entire life...so a truck with 2 and a half doors is still and improvement. Personally, i like the way the raptor looks now...i'm not a huge fan of the four door.

·
Registered
58 Posts
IMO the 6.2L Raptor will smoke an Avalanche in the engine performance. Even with similar modifications the 6.2L will perform better, being an OHC design. Four valve heads are sure to follow in the next couple of years, this engine will have a ton of hotrodding potential.

No matter what it's rated, I fully expect the 6.2L Boss engine to perform like a 450 HP (or better) Chevy just because of the superior torque curve. I think Ford is generally pretty conservative on the ratings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IMO the 6.2L Raptor will smoke an Avalanche in the engine performance. Even with similar modifications the 6.2L will perform better, being an OHC design. Four valve heads are sure to follow in the next couple of years, this engine will have a ton of hotrodding potential.

No matter what it's rated, I fully expect the 6.2L Boss engine to perform like a 450 HP (or better) Chevy just because of the superior torque curve. I think Ford is generally pretty conservative on the ratings.

I feel the same way. The Avalanche is a dog off the line. No low end power at all. :smiledown:

I will say... I've never had one problem with the motor, EVER.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts