1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2011 raptor I bought it used .
It has a 6.2 liter engine.
The previous owner sent it to Hennessy
So it is supercharged and has the big exhaust.
But in the last year I've had to replace the #5 coil 3 times. The dealer or my mechanic can figure out what's causing them to go out .
Has anyone had this issue?
Desperate it's my dream truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a 2011 raptor I bought it used .
It has a 6.2 liter engine.
The previous owner sent it to Hennessy
So it is supercharged and has the big exhaust.
But in the last year I've had to replace the #5 coil 3 times. The dealer or my mechanic can figure out what's causing them to go out .
Has anyone had this issue?
Desperate it's my dream truck.
Do you have headers?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you have headers?
If you have headers, you might be generating a lot of heat, and cooking the coil. I cooked a couple of coils, spark plugs and wires because of the headers. I had to quit pushing the engine so hard until I could get some heat shields.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have headers, you might be generating a lot of heat, and cooking the coil. I cooked a couple of coils, spark plugs and wires because of the headers. I had to quit pushing the engine so hard until I could get some heat shields.
No headers but who ever owned it before me sent it to Hennessy. It was running at 605 hp when I bought it . The call it a 600 velociraptor but I've put a larger supercharger on it. It's now at around 850 hp . I've had it to several performance shops in Phoenix and the ford dealer. They can't figure it out . Except that the next step is a new engine wiring harness.

·
Registered
285 Posts
How long does the coil last before it goes bad? Did you try putting a scan tool on it and do a cylinder contribution test? Maybe you have a weak injector or a bad intake gasket causing that cylinder to run hot?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long does the coil last before it goes bad? Did you try putting a scan tool on it and do a cylinder contribution test? Maybe you have a weak injector or a bad intake gasket causing that cylinder to run hot?
It varies on how long the coil lasts. But it's almost always #5 . And that's at the front of the engine. It's got everyone scratching their heads . I've checked all the cylinders for temp and first checked the injectors then replaced all of them . Changed the plugs and wires twice. And replaced all the coils twice. But #5 atleast 5 times . I'm not ready to give up . It's my dream truck .

·
Registered
285 Posts
There's a capacitor on the front of each cylinder head. It's a little square thing comes off the coil harness. It's for radio noise suppression. I think it's called an ignition transformer capacitor. It's supposed to filter ac voltage(noise), but if it's going bad, it might pull down the 12volts going to the coils. You would think it would affect the whole bank. They cost about $20, it's something cheap to try. There's one for each bank

·
Registered
210 Posts
bro, change the plug, the wire, and that little capacitor in the tip of the plug wire connector. Something is drawing a load on that coil pack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts