F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was looking at the undercarriage of my truck and noticed, at best, it appears that the underneath of the rear wheel wells got a coat of primer and an overspray of Molten Orange paint. Wouldn't have even noticed if it weren't for all the rocks I heard hitting the metal of the undercarriage when I went down a gravel road. (Sounded like someone was shooting a BB gun at me!)

Is this the typical build or did my truck miss "undercoating" on the assembly line? Being a former GM owner, I don't recall seeing non-undercoated metal in the wheel wells of a chasis since my 1970 Chevy C-10.

Still love the truck, but Ford can't make the claim for the quietest ride when off the pavement.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was thinking of doing some kind of undercoating in my wheel wells. Just haven't decided yet. I would rather take it in, but I don't one them spraying the undercoating all over everything like I've seen.

When I bough my 2005 F250 new, it was the same way. I didn't get it undercoated cause the dealer told me no one really does that anymore. But after 4 years.... there were little rust colored spots in the rear wheel wells. probably from rocks hitting it and wearing away at the paint?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Undercoating rear wheel wells

I understand Ford cutting costs, but just like folding mirrors, off road/ fog lights or better undercarriage protection, I think they should have made some of these things standard (I sort of expected an off-road capable vehicle to be equiped for the task; I could live without "Sync", since I doubt I'll ever bother to learn to use it anyway!). Simply put, the truck should appeal first to "off-road" enthusiasts before adding all of the "techno crap"!

I will try and see if Line-X can tape things off and coat the wells (minus any over-spray hopefully!)

A truck designed for "off-road" shouldn't have the owner paranoid about getting off of the pavement because of all the dings and dents to the undercarriage from rocks flying out of the tire cleats (just my opinion).

I would be interested in hearing other member's opinions. I don't see as to how eventual rust under the wheel wells will be a good thing!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Most all trucks these days are just like yours, without any type of undercoating in the rear fender wells. Even my 07' GMC has no undercoating in the rear fender wells. I prefer the Line-X or Rhino lining and will be one of the first things done to my Raptor when it gets here. Just my .02

·
Registered
73 Posts
I like your Line-X suggestion, I was thinking Rhino as that is what I had done in my bed. I may have to call my Rhino dealer and see what he would charge to do the rear wheel wells minus the fox shocks of course

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do not like the visible white paint above the rear tire makes the tire look small.Mabe some rino in the wheel wells will give a better look.Watcha think?

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
The Rhino lining may not last.
Once it chips, water will get trapped between the liner and the sheet metal. Rust will be next.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Almost all new trucks come with thick plastic lining in the wheel wells, all of my Super Duty`s have for the last decade, why the Raptor does not is a good question.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Line-X is a very durable product that does not suffer from the chipping associated with Rhino liner. I have Line-X where my fender flares were at on my '91 Landcruiser and my brothers '94 Landcruiser.

It's the best choice if you want it professionally installed. Use Hercu-liner if you are crafty and trust yourself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where is gasgasman when you need him?

Almost all new trucks come with thick plastic lining in the wheel wells, all of my Super Duty`s have for the last decade, why the Raptor does not is a good question.
Thought you might know the answer (or solution) to the question. Maybe I'm just too busy critiquing the truck, but has anyone else "flown" down a gravel road and felt the need to inspect the wheel wells and undercarraige for dents, dings, or other damage afterwards? Hell, even with the stereo cranked and the windows closed, I can't think straight because of the noise from flying gravel crashing into the wheel wells!

SVT may have spent a lot of time on the suspension and other details, but I think they neglected taking into consideration how long the wheel wells will hold up against "rust through". 5 years? We'll see!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
BTW, was considering doing the Line-X to the wheel wells until my dealer reminded me that modifications could void the warranty.

Also just got off the phone with the only Line-X dealer within 200 miles of me and he advised since he didn't have a vehicle lift, he couldn't do it.

I guess a good reason to just enjoy the truck, ignore the noise, and not worry about it until just before the warranty is up. (wonder how Ford would replace the fender wells if they did rust through?)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had mine done at an extra charge from my dealer, I was worried about the salt if I take it on the beach. My dealer ended up farming out the job (something to do with their lift). When I got it back, I found they even sprayed the big skid plate!!! I freaked out, but have since settled down.

·
Registered
485 Posts
BTW, was considering doing the Line-X to the wheel wells until my dealer reminded me that modifications could void the warranty.

Also just got off the phone with the only Line-X dealer within 200 miles of me and he advised since he didn't have a vehicle lift, he couldn't do it.

I guess a good reason to just enjoy the truck, ignore the noise, and not worry about it until just before the warranty is up. (wonder how Ford would replace the fender wells if they did rust through?)
You're dealer is an idiot......in no way, shape, or form could lining the inner fender wells affect your warranty, PERIOD!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You're dealer is an idiot......in no way, shape, or form could lining the inner fender wells affect your warranty, PERIOD!
^^^^This^^^^

Maybe I'm missing out on something here but, I have yet to see any newer Ford trucks suffer from the rusting out of fenders. We have a few different brands of trucks over here, some being here for years now, and it's gravel all over the place......still haven't seen any rust or fender problems. I've had my Ranger out in sand, dirt and gravel in the desert numerous times and aside from obvious markings, no problems. The F-150 is known to have one of the quitest cabins of all trucks, I think some of you just need to accept that there's going to be some noise when driving down a gravel road though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^^^This^^^^

Maybe I'm missing out on something here but, I have yet to see any newer Ford trucks suffer from the rusting out of fenders. We have a few different brands of trucks over here, some being here for years now, and it's gravel all over the place......still haven't seen any rust or fender problems. I've had my Ranger out in sand, dirt and gravel in the desert numerous times and aside from obvious markings, no problems. The F-150 is known to have one of the quitest cabins of all trucks, I think some of you just need to accept that there's going to be some noise when driving down a gravel road though.
I agree, its a real quiet truck as long as you are on an asphalt road. I've owned Dodge and Chevrolet trucks and never had an issue with flying gravel achieving higher decibels than spoken conversation!

As for rust through, I guess I'm not qualified to say it is a problem until it happens, but I've seen what salt on the roads in the winter can do to unprotected metal in a very short time.

As one member has already posted, The F250 has plastic shields that not only make it quieter, but also eliminate surface damage to the undercarriage from flying debris. To who's advantage was it for Ford not to do the same for the Raptor?

Call me a skeptic but with gravel and debris "sand blasting" the primer off, what happens to bare steel after a winter of salty, snow and slush?

BTW, check out what Toyota is dealing with!
[URL="http://jalopnik.com/5232946/toyota-truck-owners-clamoring-for-recall-over-dangerously-rusted-frames"][url]http://jalopnik.com/5232946/toyota-truck-owners-clamoring-for-recall-over-dangerously-rusted-frames[/URL][/URL]

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yeah, I saw that Toyota deal, lol. Of course it would be nice to have some lining back there...............I'm wondering if Ford maybe cut little corners here and there (rear fender liner, fog lights for example) to keep overall cost down. I think maybe they knew they were taking a gamble with this truck and while making sure they got the big things right, they cut down on the little things to keep the cost down........offering it in the high 30k's when alot of people were saying it would start way higher.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agreed. I could still live without "Sync" and instead gone for some factory undercoating/soundproofing!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts