F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm eagerly awaiting the order-bank to open for the 6.2. I've driven a local 5.4 and enjoyed it but would like more...

Here's my question - anybody seen any reviews/drives off-road... other than desert-style? Down here in FL, we're unlikley to bomb over sand dunes often, but will have lots of fun trail-riding, mud-pluggin' etc.

What are your collective thoughts on this? I like to off-road, but am limited to muddy/water-logged trails, some mild rock-crawling in Ocala and tons of power-line trails etc. Other than an optional front locker (according to fordracingparts guys, not avialable currently, but under investigation), I'm assuming the raptor will suffice? If not, I'm left with the rubicon unlimited (power-wagon is far too big and ugly). The D90 is sold since we have an 18 mo/old that the wife won't allow to ride in.

For anybody interested, fordracingparts guys also stated the Raptor should be just fine up to 24 inches of water, but they only stated over the phone, I have nothing in writing. If anybody that has one already can let me know how high the axle breather tube's are routed, please advise.

Thanks for any commentary!

Sean

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello,
For anybody interested, fordracingparts guys also stated the Raptor should be just fine up to 24 inches of water, but they only stated over the phone, I have nothing in writing. If anybody that has one already can let me know how high the axle breather tube's are routed, please advise.
The rear tube was easy to find, it goes straight up to a brace for the bed, it is 31 inches to the ground.

The front one is hard to trace, I *think* I found the top of it right next to the master cylinder and it is about 44 inches to the ground. That may not be the right one but is definitely a breather tube of some sort, about the right size and about the right place that dead ends there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks dajahu - that's exactly what I was looking for!

:smileup:

I'm happy the front one may be that high up. Get a good "plow-wake" going and I'll be just fine around 5-10 mph. I'll likely extend the rear up between the outer fender and bed if I can work it there.

Otherwise, anybody with other thoughts regarding non-desert style off-road? As you can see from my avatar, we do mostly mud, water crossings and trails down here... with some light rock-crawling if you count parking stops! ha!

Thanks dajahu!

Sean

·
Registered
290 Posts
I can't give any experiences yet but I would think the Raptor would do well in the snow :smileup:

Guess that doesn't help you much in Florida. I think mudding, dirt driving and mild rock crawling should be great in the Raptor.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've never driven one...especially in the snow...but the Raptor website has a few pictures of it doing some work in some snow! It looks like it'll do alright haha

·
Banned
84 Posts
Can you guys talk more about the axle breather tube? Never knew about such things I guess.

Would someone mind giving me a quick lesson?

·
Registered
129 Posts
All axles have to have some way to vent pressure build up when the temp starts to rise from driving down the road, so some type of vent is installed to keep pressure build up from pushing oil through axle or pinion seals. Some vents are just a little cap on the axle tube while other have a rubber hose that runs from the axle up to the bottom of the bed. Of course the one that goes up to the bed is what you want if you plan on getting in deep water, or you'll end up with dirt and water in your axle housing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The axles seem to be taken care of at the factory. Don't forget the tranny and the t-case. Both are vented like the axles and probably dont have extended vent hoses on them.......

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The axles seem to be taken care of at the factory. Don't forget the tranny and the t-case. Both are vented like the axles and probably dont have extended vent hoses on them.......

Good thought! Dajohu, can you locate those as well? If not - no worries!

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
290 Posts
You know, I thought of that last night but I was too dang tired to keep climbing under the truck. Not sure how much I can see but I will try.

I did look the other night but I couldn't find the vents. I did find another hose that could be a vent but could not figure out where it goes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Some Raptors were being tested in Moab by SVT, so yes, they are good for more than just desert racing.

Once a body lift has been adapted for the Raptor, you'll be able to stuff some even larger tires under it, which should help you in the muck.

·
Banned
47 Posts
The rear tube was easy to find, it goes straight up to a brace for the bed, it is 31 inches to the ground.

The front one is hard to trace, I *think* I found the top of it right next to the master cylinder and it is about 44 inches to the ground. That may not be the right one but is definitely a breather tube of some sort, about the right size and about the right place that dead ends there.
Any info on the tranny and transfer case breathers?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nope, I couldn't figure it out, someone with some mechanical knowledge and more patience than me needs to look at it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hum - I suspect it rock crawls like a fullsize truck with a rear locker and moderate lift kit. Having watched many similar vehicles rock crawl (and H1 Hummers that has larger tires and more ground clearance, but are within an inch of a Raptors width) I've learned that it is very trail dependent. Most Rubicon and Moab type rock crawling trails are maintained to be Wrangler/D90 width and feature turns better handled with < 100" wheel bases. All but the most extreme can be run with a large vehicle but it will take a patience, lots of spotting, and you are much more likely to end up with body damage. Some people don't care about risking body work, others do, so it is hard to say what the "real" limits of any vehicle are with regard to rocks. Many of the more extreme trails feature rock squeezes that limit width unless you are essentially willing to put the vehicle on its side to get through them. If you are willing to eat a dent or two, winch, jack and/or landscape all day, you can get pretty much any truck up any trail.....

The stock tires aren't suitable for real mud, like the more aggressive Super Swampers would be. But the longer wheelbase, larger engine, etc. probably will it a better mudder than a D90 with the right tires.

As far a wading depth - my experience has been that ultimately it is determined by trial/breakage/then modification. I would note that hosing out a Raptors interior isn't a real option. (It was in D90.) No idea how well Ford's door seals work in 30"+ of water. Having sucked dirty water through a Ford alternator I know it is an experiece you really don't want to have. Though the sparks flying out of the hood vents make for a good visual. You also need to figure out where the computer(s) are located. Submerge them and you are in for lots of trouble down the road.....

For the record, my heavily modified '94 D90 made it into Four Wheelers top truck challenge. (Think it was the '97ish, I'd have to drag up the Magazine articles to remember the exact year.... ) I've also owned (and wheeled) a '90ish Jeep Wrangler, two different era Cherokees, and a Sportsmobile E350 with 7.3L diesel and a 4x4 conversion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looking forward to the fun

I'm down in Southern AZ and there are plenty of hills and streams here to play on (it's the high desert) the only thing that I might be looking to add to the front would be a winch system. That way I can help the poor Rubicons out of the ditch. :box2:
I will check the rest of the forum but any suggestions off the top of the head?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I should think the Raptor will perform just fine. I live in Colorado and mine is due in, in just about a week. We don't have a lot of baja type terrain out here, but rather alot of 4x4 trails, snow crawling and rocky,hilly terrain. When the snow melts, we get lots of deep water/mud holes in the spring and extending the breathers is something we all do on our 4x4's. And good point from someone above regarding the other breathers besides the differentials. I'll keep ya posted about the snow performance when it hits. I know the Raptor will be towing the snowmachines!!:smiley_thumbs_up:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts