F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are others out there doing about oil changes? Are you going by the maintenance schedule and changing every 5,000 miles or doing it sooner?

The reason I'm asking is that my dealer also includes free oil/filter changes and tire rotations as long as I own the truck (included with every new car/truck purchase). These services are performed according to the maintenance schedule which specifies every 5,000 miles. It sounds like a pretty good deal seeing that the Raptor takes 7 quarts of oil for every service, not to mention the filter.

One more question...would you wait the full 5,000 miles for the first change or change it out sooner?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used to do the every 3000 miles like everyone else...I switched to 5K and it's worked out just fine. I do mine myself and use Mobil 1 Full-Synthetic oil and a Wix filter. If they're gonna' do yours for free, I think it'll be just fine every 5K. As far as the first change?...it's o.k. to wait until 5K. Your filter is gonna' pick up a lot the first time and it's not gonna' do any harm in there. Enjoy your oil-changes...my dealer only offered me the first change free.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will keep to the schedule. I wont be lucky enough to get all of mine for free but my opinion is follow the service manual until we are sure there are no kinks in the truck for the warrenty.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I always do my first oil change around 500miles and then 3000 to 4000 after that depending upon what I have put the truck through

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you run synthetic the oil changes can be done after longer intervals or more km. I know with ams oil supposedly you can change it ever 10000km.

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
Synthetic oil does NOT extend the oil changes.
Oil is changed due to the blow-by contaminants in the engine.

Even the synthetic oil bottles say to change the oil per the manufacturer's specs.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Synthetic oil does NOT extend the oil changes.
Oil is changed due to the blow-by contaminants in the engine.

Even the synthetic oil bottles say to change the oil per the manufacturer's specs.
Precisely.......which is why I could never justify the additional cost for the full-synthetic oil. Regular oil changes keeping CLEAN engine oil in service is the best thing you can do for your engine. Type of service also should play into your oil change interval. Severe duty in very dirty environments may require 3k services, but normal everyday driving, a 5k interval is probably fine.

Changing the oil in the first 1000 miles removes many of the break-in contaminents from things such as the rings seating and so on. Not 100% necessary, but if it makes you feel better, then by all means.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts