F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a nice orange raptor at a dealership today...stopped in and drove it

The orange was ALOT nicer in person, almost a candy apple with gold/orange metallic.
The extra 7" width comes from flared fenders...looks damn tough .
Salesman comes out with the keys, I fire it up, it sounds ok at idle but looses most exhaust note when goosed.
The truck had the navigation which was pretty sweet ! I'm a bit of a gadget nut- it had alotta gadget factor and was pretty easy to use.
LOL..I wheeled out of the dealership with the salesman in the back and mashed the pedal to the floor....................................:shakehead: (guess I'm used to the V10 in my f250) There seemed to be more interior engine noise than I thought--not bad though. Steering was quick ! Suspension..well, it is a truck- and it rode better than my F250 (read lumber wagon here)
I saw this cool button that said "off road mode" or something:thk:, so I asked the salesman what it did..he had no idea, soo... I stopped and pressed it..
I floored at, that tach ran straight up to 5k and shifted quick !:woohoo:
Next thing I know I'm doing 65 in a 35 on a back road..oh, the breaks are pretty good too. The motor pulled pretty good, I bet the 6.2 in offroad will be a tire burner.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I really tried to like the 5.4 because i really wanted to buy the truck. But when your coming from a bigger motor in my case the 6.4 diesel, it`s just hard to give the low end and HP up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I really tried to like the 5.4 because i really wanted to buy the truck. But when your coming from a bigger motor in my case the 6.4 diesel, it`s just hard to give the low end and HP up.
2nd that. I am missing the low rpm/torque of my 6.0.

·
Registered
126 Posts
... I bet the 6.2 in offroad will be a tire burner.
Ford will need to do something about the tire spin axle hop if it is a tire burner.
I did 4.88 gears and run E85. When I mash it from a light or brake-torque it, the rear end starts spinning OK but almost immediately, it starts wrapping the springs and severe axle hop starts.

One of my techs saw it and said the rear tires move forward about 3 inches as the spring wraps and releases.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ford will need to do something about the tire spin axle hop if it is a tire burner.
I did 4.88 gears and run E85. When I mash it from a light or brake-torque it, the rear end starts spinning OK but almost immediately, it starts wrapping the springs and severe axle hop starts.

One of my techs saw it and said the rear tires move forward about 3 inches as the spring wraps and releases.
the result of a light rear end and grippy tires?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think that what they learned with the 500hp Raptor R in Baja will be applied to the 6.2 Raptor that will hit the show room floors, i think there will be slight differences between the 5.4 and 6.2 platforms.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As soon as I waste these tires, I'll probably get the BFG KM2 that I had on my Tundra. They didnt grip as well on the street so it was more fun to drive on pavement. If you push the truck really hard, you could spin smoothly and drift and slide. They didnt last long though.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Funny that the sales guy didn't know what the off -road switch did. There is no excuse for these people being so ignorant. How can you sell a car without knowing it inside and out? The internet allows buyers to be more informed. This makes it even more laughable that he didn't known what the switch was for.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny that the sales guy didn't know what the off -road switch did. There is no excuse for these people being so ignorant. How can you sell a car without knowing it inside and out? The internet allows buyers to be more informed. This makes it even more laughable that he didn't known what the switch was for.
I guess I shouldn't tell ya he thought the 6.2 was a diesel

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I guess I shouldn't tell ya he thought the 6.2 was a diesel
Bwa-haaaa! I sold cars for a while when I was younger and took pride in knowing what I was selling inside and out. Serious as a heart attack here.......I watched a salesman trying to sell a diesel to a couple (their first one) and when asked what's different compared to a gas motor, he replied...."Oh, they don't have pistons"........I don't make this **** up. And what's really bad is that he was one of the top salesman at the dealership......just makes no sense. You'd be surprised at what the ratio of people who go in there not knowing anything and just hoping to get a deal on a vehicle is to those who actually now the details of what they're looking at.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I drove an Orange one with all the options (including the decal) except the bed extender and tailgate step. The thing looks awesome, sounds good and rides great for a truck. It only had 13 miles so the engine was still tight, but it was raining and the tires broke loose easily when punching the gas pedal. Seemed like it had good power (but I am driving a 5 spd, 4 cyl Tacoma right now!) and pickup with that engine.

Everything I'm reading about he 6.2 makes it sound like it will eventually replace the 5.4 but have more horsepower and torque at the same fuel economy. I also read that they will use the ecoboost 3.5L in the f150 to replace the 4.6 and that it will get 17 mpg city and 23 hwy. I would wait for that engine since it has higher HP, but unless they tune it for more torgue in the truck application, you'd be giving up 15% torque (350 v 390 for the 5.4) with that engine. Does anyone know if they will retune the engine for the trucks, and if so, will it become the base engine in the Raptor??

·
Registered
101 Posts
I drove one today finally. The dealer was willing to make me a "deal" by selling it to me at $2500 above his invoice, but the thing had several expensive options that I won't use and don't want to pay for...i.e. Nav. Radio, Moonroof, reverse camera, and the fake mud on the side. I made him an offer to ORDER one a good while back for $1000 above his invoice...thought that was fair, and I wouldn't be paying for stuff I don't want. Looks like my dealer for many years will probably lose my business because of GREED! I've found another dealer about an hour away that is willing to order one just like I want it for $1500 above invoice. I plan on ordering an Orange one without graphics, with Luxury Package, trailer brake, tailgate step, bed-extender and orange seats. I really don't like the orange trim around the radio or around the shifter...I hope to be able to get the standard ones somewhere to replace them. I thought the truck (5.4) had decent power and I really liked its sound when I got on the gas. The Sony sub under the rear-seat takes up a LOT of the storage room...that and the jack don't leave much room under the rear-seat for anything. I really like the way the seats feel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
After actually seeing one, I thought of a question...I currently have a standard front-of-the-bed tool-box. In giving up 1.5' of bed room, the Raptor really doesn't leave room for one of those. Before I saw one, I thought I might be able to keep most of that stuff in a bin under the rear-seat...now I know that'll never happen. What ideas have y'all come up with for storing stuff? I know all of our needs may be different, but I'd be willing to bet that we'll all need tow-straps, a come-a-long, assorted hand-tools, an air-compressor, etc. or we wouldn't be wanting THIS truck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know a guy with a 2009 with a 5.5' bed with a toolbox in it, that is unacceptable to me, that leave lesss room that my sport trac had!

I use a plastic box I found in the auto section of Walmart to store all my tools, tow ropes, chains, gas can, etc. It works great because in a pinch I can move it to the back seat, whcih I have done on several occasions when I needed the full bed space. I have a rubber bed mat right now and the box sits nicely at the back of the bed so it's easy to open up and grab what I need. Only problem I have is when I get a come along it will not fit in this box, so I may need to move up to a larger box. My main goal is to still keep it small enough to move around easily by myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts