F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres the one thing I dont like about the Raptor. The instrument cluster lights/steering wheel control lights, etc, work off of a sensor on the dash (top,center). If it's not dark out, the gauge cluster lights dont come on! WTF was Ford thinking? In a normal car when u turn on ur parking and or headlights, the gauge lights and stuff all come on and then u can dim them with the dimmer switch. doesnt work this way in the 09-10 f150s. cover that sensor in the middle of the day with ur lights on and you'll see wat i mean!

·
Banned
534 Posts
Really? The one I was in worked like a "normal" car, and my rental 2009 F-150 did the same. I wonder why the sensor is there, does the Raptor have Auto on/off headlights?

·
Registered
290 Posts
It does have the auto on/off but I've seen this odd thing as well. I did not play with it long enough to figure out why they finally came on, I just figured it was my own ignorance. Never driven it at night yet, but I just wanted to turn the dash lights on to show someone and had a hell of a time to get them to finally come on.

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
Ford did that because the white guages would "wash out" and become unreadable from the sun light.
Once it gets dark outside, the back lighting would turn on.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the problema nd researched it online, but of course NO ONE with a raptor would really have talked about it and most of the truck is the same as the 09, so I researched that. idk why they have the sensor on some and not the other, could be the luxury package. My truck does have the auto lamp feature, but you cn CHOOSE that feature over parking lights and headlights. If I can choose it, then I want the friggin lights to come on when I turn them on!!!!!!

The orange strip in the steering wheel is to show a race truck driver where center mark is on the steering wheel. Who knows, maybe they'll offer the blue/white someday

·
Registered
37 Posts
my wifes car is like that with the auto lights. sometimes she puts something over the sensor to get the lights on the dash to come on. it seems to only be a problem when its just not dark enough for the sensor to kick them on but your eyes want to see the gauges with backlighting.

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
Found this in the Ford shop manual:

Quote:
Instrument Panel Dimmer Switch Calibration
The instrument panel dimmer switch must be calibrated any time instrument panel dimmer switch is disconnected or the battery is disconnected or discharged. The switch is calibrated by rotating it from the lowest backlighting setting to the DOME LAMP position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts