Opinions On Options...

Discussion in 'Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum' started by Chris Johnson, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson New Member

Vehicle?:
    1990 Centurion C350
    Color?:
    Lightning Blue
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Hello folks,

I'm seriously considering a Raptor as my next vehicle, specifically because I want to go off-road and I can no longer build vehicles to do that with any more.

However, some of the options are beyond the number where you say "oh, sure, let's have that too". Is the sunroof of any real value to the driver? Is a tonneau cover really worth $1100?

Then I have some more general questions. Like does Ford really not offer a winch mount for a truck designed specifically to not be on paved roads? In fact, does anybody build a "behind the bumper" winch mount for an '18 Raptor?

Ford does offer a center console. Does it (or any other spot) provide a place to mount a CB radio?

We are way out in the boonies here; it's nearly 100 miles to the closest dealer so making trips to see new trucks is rare.

Would folks post their thoughts on different options? I'm interested in why you wish you had gotten something that you don't have, as well as what you've got, but find of little use.

TIA

2. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Not sure I'm qualified to answer this since I've only had my 2014 Super Crew, called a SCREW here I believe, for just over a month. I'm really liking the truck! It is all I really need at this point in my life--truck-wise. I didn't have a chance to choose my options since I picked it up used but...
    -Sunroof: Mine has one and I really only use it to vent the Arizona heat when I park it. We live in the mountains but still get a few weeks a year of 100 degree days; we make several runs to Phoenix a year also. When driving the wind noise is a bit much. Given the choice of having to pay for it on a newly ordered vehicle I doubt I would get it. A couple benefits of it might be re-sale value if that arises and driving at night with the cover open but the glass closed.
    -Tonneau cover: Don't have one but have looked around for one in the aftermarket. I'm sure there are some out there that cost that much but you can get them cheaper at anyone of several aftermarket sites. I'm considering one of these so I can store stuff in the bed as opposed to in the cab.
    -Bed liner: You don't mention it but I suspect they offer one. Mine has a Line X spray in liner and I like it. My previous F150 didn't have one and I scraped off most of the paint hauling concrete blocks and other things around.
    -Bumper(s): I haven't checked into this too much yet but have seen them at some of the sites I've visited while looking for other things or poking around here and clicking on sites others have included in their posts. I'm not sure I'll go down that road yet. I suspect once I bury it to the axles and have to pay someone to pull me out I'll see the value in it.
    -CB Radio: I don't know if our consoles will be the same due to the 4 year difference in model years. I know a CB would fit in the locking console but the controls would be difficult to reach while driving. My cover locks, not sure if that is an option or standard, so you'd have to unlock it before you started out. The cover doesn't stay up well when driving so if you are on your own it can be difficult to do much. I'd recommend a different location.
    -I remember doing some research but not sure where I can find it again. In order to get some things you need to order a larger option package. Just saying that in order to get something you want you might have to buy something you don't want. I vaguely remember 801A package is required for some things.

I didn't look real hard at the latest model as I can't really afford the price. I got a low mileage 2014 6.2L and like it. I'm also not so much of a Baja runner dude. I've been drawn for elk and will drive to a camping spot or two in December and hopefully haul an elk out of the woods. None of that will need high speed. I thought the turbos would be out of place as they make high RPM power and may not kick in at my low speed use. However, I haven't studied the charts to see where the new motor makes its power but generally speaking turbos are spun up by the exhaust gases. I do wish my 6.2L got better mileage but I've made my bed and have to deal with it. On flat ground and lower altitude I can get about 15 and maybe higher if I keep my foot out of it.

Good luck on your truck! I don't think you'll have any regrets. I'd recommend comparing the price of an option from Ford to something in the aftermarket and add it later. Obviously a sunroof isn't something for aftermarket unless the shop is very skilled. The other stuff can be sourced at various places online though. I looked at your profile and saw SW Colorado so I assume you are in the Durango area. Not familiar with it but since you are 100 miles from a dealer maybe shop around www.Edmunds.com or AutoTrader.com and see what's near you and do some test drives. Maybe you could stay a night or two to gather information; perhaps pick up some supplies you need while you are at it. Maybe some of the vehicles will be loaded to the gills and you'll get an idea of what you should order when you make your purchase.

Just some thoughts,
    Larry

3. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson New Member

Vehicle?:
    1990 Centurion C350
    Color?:
    Lightning Blue
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Hello Larry in Prescott,

Thanks for your comments.

One of the big considerations is having the 4.10 gear ratios and, as far as I can tell, that is available only in package 802A. Granted, you get leather and major electronics goodies too, but it's a $10K package (arg!).

I intend to use my truck off-road, but principally on slow stuff. No race running for me! It's my experience that leather is not the greatest surface to keep a butt from sliding around. The cloth would be better in that regard. Additionally, I don't need turn-by-turn navigation up on some remote mountain pass.

Having thought about though, partly because 802A also includes the front LSD in addition to the 4.10 gears, I'm willing to step up for it. Then, it seems, once you've bought the most expensive option available, other options become less difficult to swallow. Doll it up and be done with it.

Thanks for your comments about the CB mounting, I really would have thought that Ford would have come up with a better idea. . . On the winch, it's just going to have to wait a while to see if somebody comes out with a better mounting system than what the aftermarket currently has available. Apparently, the '17 and later require a different arrangement than the earlier trucks (which allow for a slick "hidden winch" arrangement).

Still working on getting out to see more trucks!

4. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Chris,
    I've been communicating with a dude, Rene Perez, on another thread that wants to replace his driver's seat with a cloth seat. You can check that thread for the stuff we discussed but I'm thinking if you pull the seat it might set a code and a dash light. He didn't get back to me if he'd contacted a dealer/shop with a current scanner. I don't have one and don't want to set a code I have to pay someone to clear. But, to keep from sliding around you might try a set of seat covers. Not sure what is near you but Cabela's some offers nice covers; I've looked into a set or two but haven't moved on them yet.

A thought on the navigation out in the sticks: I think I found it in the Settings but turned on breadcrumbs. In the event you get "out" there and are unsure of the way back the breadcrumbs can be followed to get back to where you know where you are. Is it worth the price they are asking? Kind of a rhetorical question but it gives peace of mind to know you are on the right path after a long day in the bush.

I'd like a lighter colored interior option but I guess the dark colors add to the mystery and mystique of the Raptor. It just "feels" hotter inside with a black interior and only stays clean for about ten minutes after its cleaned. I see a lot of black vehicles in Arizona and wonder "what were they thinking?" Somebody did some research and found it adds somewhere near 20 degrees to the interior when parked in the sun on a hot day. Got some experience with that--bought a used Navigator in black but the interior is tan so it gets tolerable quicker.

I didn't look at the '17s hard due to the price so I went "cheap" with a good used truck so I didn't know about the winch bumper being different. You can try this site: Shop 2017 Ford Raptor Front Bumpers at ADD Offroad and see if they have something for you. I'm not sure if that link is active so just copy and paste it into your browser address line, it should work. The site is run by a guy that worked with Ford to help design the Raptor. As I understand it he use to run the Baja and won it five times or something like that. They might have something for a CB radio mount as well.

Didn't mean for it to be so long,
    Larry

Rene Perez likes this.