F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owners (or people with actual knowledge like gasgasman) - With the additional width of the Raptor, will it fit through most commercial car-washes? (the kinds that have the metal "tracks" and a device to pull the car through) Or am I stuck at a DIY joint?

Thanks,
Sean

ps - did a search and didn't locate results - point me in the right direction if this has been covered. Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have never taken any of my vehicles to the machine type washes... but... the hand wash place I have been going to for years still has a tunnel they run the cars down with one of those tracks as they hand wash it and dry it.... and I went there last week with my raptor and they didn't even want to try to see if it will fit... so they just did the hand wash out side for me...

hope this helps a little bit... I am actually going to the car wash today after work... I can ask them if there is a specification on what can fit or is it just a judgment call that they make.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The special booklet included with your owers manual with the Raptor says to stay away from tracked car washes.

·
Banned
534 Posts
Owners (or people with actual knowledge like gasgasman) - With the additional width of the Raptor, will it fit through most commercial car-washes? (the kinds that have the metal "tracks" and a device to pull the car through) Or am I stuck at a DIY joint?

Thanks,
Sean

ps - did a search and didn't locate results - point me in the right direction if this has been covered. Thanks.
Seeing as how the truck ITSELF is NOT WIDER than the F150 as a WHOLE, I would guess that it's ok. Just because the fenders are flared does not mean the entire thing is wider. The mirrors are still in the same spot. Same frame. Same cab. Same bed. Different fenders.

The special booklet included with your owers manual with the Raptor says to stay away from tracked car washes.
If it says so, do it. I NEVER EVER EVER take my vehicles to auto washes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seeing as how the truck ITSELF is NOT WIDER than the F150 as a WHOLE, I would guess that it's ok. Just because the fenders are flared does not mean the entire thing is wider. The mirrors are still in the same spot. Same frame. Same cab. Same bed. Different fenders.

If it says so, do it. I NEVER EVER EVER take my vehicles to auto washes.

someone correct me if I am wrong but the truck itself is like 7 inches wider than a regular F-150.. and i think the flares give it like another inch.. so your looking at about 8 inches and thats not including the mirrors.

·
Registered
208 Posts
yup its perty much that much wider thats alot.. i think a stocker is 78'' the raptor 86'' someone should measure the track with a tape out side tire to outside tire just to compaire to the normal f150

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was looking at the specs that gasgasman posted and it looks like a reg f-150 is 78.9 and the raptor is 86.3

·
Registered
145 Posts
I always wash my truck myself so I never gave this a thought, however it's a good thing to think about. Every now and then my wife will wash my truck for me, and she has taken it to an auto car wash. I better let her know the Raptor won't fit if I buy one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You have to measure the track of the rails at the car wash you are going to (if dual track car wash, that is). Raptor has 7" wider track than the standard F150, so it literraly will not fit the track of some car washes. Just check with the manager at your car wash before you get in line....

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
FYI.
There's an automatic brush type car wash close to where I work(at a gas station).
Someone in a pickup went through it and a 4ft long cable was sucked out the pickup bed and into the brushes.
While I was in the gas station, the car wash repair technician came in holding the cable shaking his head while explaining, "this is what did the damage"..........

Moral of the story?
Only use touch free washes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Personally, I have NEVER found an automatic car wash that can clean a vehicle as well as a manual one, so don't see it being an issue. Aside from that, I think all that is needed is a little common sense. If the shoe fits............

·
Registered
957 Posts
While we're on this subject----Can any of you lucky owners please tell me if you have any issues driving thru bank drive ups, McD's etc.. Some of these are pretty narrow. Any other issues with the width that hasn't been mentioned?
Reddog...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bank

I was thinking the same thing about the bank drivethrough. I guess you could pull up to one after hours and get out and look to see how much room you would have instead of tying up the drivethrough! Great question.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Switch, I thought about doing that, but 'pussed out'! I wonder how many photos they would've taken before the cops showed up at my door. HA!
Reddog...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I've taken mine through a bank drive thru. It was tight but I made it without scraping the tires on the curb. Sorry, I haven't been to any fast-food joints.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts