F-150 Raptor Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took mine through the bank drive through with no problems. My son's H2 also has no problems with the bank or fast food drive thru's, so I don't anticipate any issues. Just go slow and be careful the first few times.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I mostly just pressure-wash mine...get it too muddy too often and I find that mud on a truck helps it NOT get scratched by limbs. On special occasions (i.e. Easter Sunday, etc.) I may run it through an automatic car-wash...I like the roller kind better. My 11-year-old truck has probably been hand-washed 5 times. I figure that it will probably fit through the auto-wash I usually use, but I will measure first.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I thought about this even before I recieved mine, and sure enough, it's mentioned in the owners manual. If you think about it, if the track was say on the left side, you'd be ok on that side, but would be 7" wider on the right side. I'm not gonna risk it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
U know I was wondering the same thing with this. I mean going through bank tellers, McDonalds and other drive through or pull up window. Now the Washing thing. I like to wash my own vehicle. I can get in there deep and learn new things about the vehicle. I know I did on my bike when I took of all the fairings and scrub the engine and all.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I diff. would NOT bring the Raptor to tracked car washes. Reg. size cars and trucks seem to be squeezed into the tracks with alot of rubbing and popping noises, wouldn't take the chance.......plus once your in there and it dosen't fit correctly.......you have to back out , which is worse!!...:shakehead:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have taken my Avalanche through Mike's Car wash for years and it still looks great. I talked to them the other day about me getting a Raptor and they said it would not fit. It is 8" wider and riding on one track would push it all to one side which would probably crash it into a sprayer or dryer vent.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I wouldn't do it. listen to the manual. they say not to for a reason.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just my two cents here...I worked at a car wash for 4 years when I was 15 and speaking from experience I highly doubt the Raptor will most car washes AND the manual says not to do that AND pressure wash it if you have the decals. I hand wash mine and total time, wiping down the interior (no protectants), takes 1.5 hrs. It's well worth the outcome. Love the machine and it'll love you back

·
Registered
130 Posts
someone correct me if I am wrong but the truck itself is like 7 inches wider than a regular F-150.. and i think the flares give it like another inch.. so your looking at about 8 inches and thats not including the mirrors.
the cab is the same width as a standard f150 and the flares add about 3.5 inches on each side so the flares make it 7 inches wider

·
Registered
87 Posts
I took mine down to Cobblestone and the manager saw me comming. He came over just to assure me that they could do it no problem. He knew the question i was going to ask before I asked it.

I have been back a few times now and never had an issue.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A friends dad popped his tire in the track at a carwash, was a older f-150 with bigger tires so maybe thats the concern, some "tracks" that guide you in may not be wide enough for the tire

·
Registered
75 Posts
Folks, it would seem that Ford's advice errs on the side of caution because they can't know the specs of every automatic car wash in the world. That said, the tires of the Raptor are the same make and size as those of the Hummer H2. The track width of the Raptor however, is wider even than the H2 and so it is possible that even if the car wash can accept an H2 with no trouble, a Raptor could be a problem.

I'm fortunate in that many (if not most) of the car washes around here all had to deal with H1 Hummers when those were the rage. The Raptor's track width is actually two inches wider than the published specs for the Hummer H1 but, the Hummer ran larger, 37-inch tires which almost evens things out. The overall width (excluding the mirrors) is about the same at 86 inches. So the question I always ask is whether or not a full-size Hummer H1 will fit or has been through the track with nor problems. If the answer is yes, then my truck is good to go. The one thing you can be sure about though is whether or not something gets ripped off or out of the car ahead of you and is then used by the brushes as a wrecking bar or wrecking ball on your paint and body panels. As a result, I try to avoid the soft-touch car washes unless the truck is really dirty and I'm in a hurry.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have taken mine to the single track wash I use all of the time with my vehicles with no issues. Would never just go through one without knowing if the truck would clear the width (this is the lowest truck I have had in 30 years lol). In my case they have several Raptors that go through plus I took the “go fast” stickers off of mine so that is not a worry.

The go fast stickers come off real easy on the side so be careful!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I NEVER go to the car washes that have the mops that beat the crap outta your vehicle..YIKES.. TOUCHLESS only for me.. those have tracks also, but not all of them thankfully :)

There was some punk kids who clipped Fishing sinkers to those mops in a touch carwash and it looked like a hail hit that car that was in there :-0

·
Registered
233 Posts
Seeing as how the truck ITSELF is NOT WIDER than the F150 as a WHOLE, I would guess that it's ok. Just because the fenders are flared does not mean the entire thing is wider. The mirrors are still in the same spot. Same frame. Same cab. Same bed. Different fenders.

If it says so, do it. I NEVER EVER EVER take my vehicles to auto washes.
The wheel base is 7 inches wide, that is why it won't fit in the track type car washes. I went to Mike's car wash and they told me they will not fit.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts