F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shade tree mechanic here. I have been skimming google for the past hour looking for answers. I found a bunch that had lingo outside of my vocabulary..

Fist time the truck acted up was leaving the beach. I had it in 4H but didn’t drive hard or anything as I had kids and coolers in the back while in the sand. After leaving and driving about an hour we stopped at a convenience store. Leaving there it wouldn’t shift out of 3rd. No lights or wrenches.. pulled over turned truck off and back on ... no more problems the next 1200 miles.
Today I pulled a small pressure washing trailer without issue. Once I took it out of tow haul I had a wrench symbol on the dash and rough shifting if and when it comes out of 3rd gear..

I just need to know where to start. I can’t find the tranny dipstick, but have read these trucks don’t have them, but no one was clear as to the generation that were referring to.

Can the Shift Solenoid (E) be replaced? How hard? Where is it? Are there any other steps that can be done?

Ford dealers out here were no help. “Just bring it in to us, 12-16 days before diagnostics can be run along with a $250 fee before ever making a repair. Said it could 45 days before the truck is ready depending on repairs.

This truck is my job and livelihood so that route is outta the question!!!

2011 6.2L 91,200 / miles on the Odometer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Being frustrated as hell and worrying about downtime and cost.
Ford was absolutely no help from the service department. Believe it or not it was a parts guy who helped me the most in pointing me in the correct direction. So...

I sweet talked a transmission shop into scanning the truck for free.

Upon arrival a young kid (mid 20’s and cocky) comes out and scans the truck. Pulls a P0770 code with Shift Solenoid E malfunction and intermittent failures. He says “Dude your [email protected]$&ed.. it’s an electrical issue so your going to have to take it to a different shop and have them trouble shoot the electrical”

So at this point not knowing much about transmissions and nothing about electrical, I’m kinda thinking how much is a new transmission gonna cost me....

At this point an old man walks up (late 70’s - beard to his waist, no teeth) he asked the kid what was wrong with the truck. Hearing his response he takes the scanner from him, looks at me and said let’s go for a ride. I hopped in the passenger seat and he in the drivers seat. He cleared the codes and off we went. It took a few miles for the truck to act up. He immediately laughed and said bud, the fluid is low or needs to be serviced.

He went in his shop and brought me an industrial dawn dish soap bottle and said use this, to pump the fluid into the transmission. Works Amazing by the way!!

Fluid and transmission filter has been changed, levels adjusted and the truck is shifting smoother than the day I purchased it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update: Being frustrated as hell and worrying about downtime and cost.
Ford was absolutely no help from the service department. Believe it or not it was a parts guy who helped me the most in pointing me in the correct direction. So...

I sweet talked a transmission shop into scanning the truck for free.

Upon arrival a young kid (mid 20’s and cocky) comes out and scans the truck. Pulls a P0770 code with Shift Solenoid E malfunction and intermittent failures. He says “Dude your [email protected]$&ed.. it’s an electrical issue so your going to have to take it to a different shop and have them trouble shoot the electrical”

So at this point not knowing much about transmissions and nothing about electrical, I’m kinda thinking how much is a new transmission gonna cost me....

At this point an old man walks up (late 70’s - beard to his waist, no teeth) he asked the kid what was wrong with the truck. Hearing his response he takes the scanner from him, looks at me and said let’s go for a ride. I hopped in the passenger seat and he in the drivers seat. He cleared the codes and off we went. It took a few miles for the truck to act up. He immediately laughed and said bud, the fluid is low or needs to be serviced.

He went in his shop and brought me an industrial dawn dish soap bottle and said use this, to pump the fluid into the transmission. Works Amazing by the way!!

Fluid and transmission filter has been changed, levels adjusted and the truck is shifting smoother than the day I purchased it.

That’s awesome!!!!
My dad (now retired) was an industrial engineer working on the robotics field and he said these young kids nowadays only know how to “read codes” and adjust parameters. They don’t learn or understand the old school ways of trouble shooting and problem solving.

Glad to hear you are running again. Mine is a daily driver too and I can only imagine how frustrating it would be if it went down.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hope it keeps working for you. But, I had almost the exact same problem with around the same mileage. It felt like it was low on fluid. It would rev and slam into gear on the 4th to 5th upshift. Did the same thing you did. Changed fluid and filter.
It worked for a couple of weeks and started doing it again. Getting a shift solenoid code again. I used to rebuild transmissions years ago. I talked to friend who still has a shop, and he said, these valve bodies wear out. They have steel valves in an aluminum body. What happens is, the solenoids pulse, they're not just on and off. When the solenoid pulses, more like a buzz because it does it really fast. Anyway, the valve spins in the valve body causing wear over time.He suggested trying a Sonnax Zip Kit, to try and rebuild it, or just replace the valve body. So, I did the rebuild. It lasted about 5k miles then I started having problems with the lockup on the torque converter. When I was on the highway with the cruise control on, the rpm's would jump 500rpm's and then drop 500 rpm's. When I scanned it I was getting a lock up solenoid error. So, I replaced the valve body and never had the problem again. So, if it happens again, and you need it fixed quickly. Get the calibration code off the drivers side of the transmission and order a new valve body. It comes with trans computer.
So, even if you change it yourself, you will have to have it towed to the dealer to get the new computer flashed, with the new calibration for the new computer and solenoids. Also, if you just try to change the solenoid. You need the serial number off of the bad one. They aren't all the same, and I believe the serial number determines the amount of range the computer has to compensate for different driving conditions. Ford must be aware of the problem, because the new valve body looks a lot different than the old one. Also, if you end up changing the valve body, there are 4 transfer tubes between the valve body and transmission. They're basically just rubber tubes, different sizes,that act like a gasket. I would change those also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts