F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 with the 6.2L is now starting poorly and idling roughly everytime I fill up. It starts fine the rest of the time. Its only at the service station it does this. Its a little embarrasing when its turning over for a bit and when it finally does start sits there and shudders and shakes. Any one have ideas for a fix?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Tank Top Off

My 2010 with the 6.2L is now starting poorly and idling roughly everytime I fill up. It starts fine the rest of the time. Its only at the service station it does this. Its a little embarrasing when its turning over for a bit and when it finally does start sits there and shudders and shakes. Any one have ideas for a fix?
If you top off the tank excessively, you may be forcing raw fuel into the vapor recovery system. I haven't seen the size of the recovery tank. Maybe Wiz1500 can chime in.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Same gas station every time?.. if so it could be water in the tanks. If it happens at any gas station, forget what I said.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I am leaning towards some kinda contamination from the station...If it truly is isolated to the same station every time. I would defiantly avoid them and look to see if you can get the problem to occur at a different facility..
Or have you already done this???
How long does the problem last for? Is it for just a few miles after filling up or does it take till the tank get's down to 3/4 or something like that?
I just subscribed for an E-Mail reminder on this thread so I can get back to you quickly.. We don't need a Raptor coughing and sneezing in the gas station..
I'll look in the manual to night and see what I can find there..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It isnt the same gas station and it is as soon as I try to start it right after filling. If it was bad fuel I wouldn't have a problem until I drove it for a while and no its not a over fill problem. I'm doing everything the same as I have done since I bought it. I have a 2006 F350 and recently had a problem suddenly with it taking the fuel very slow. I was surprised when it turned out to be a wiring problem. I didn't realize Ford has a solinoid that opens the vent and the wire broke off. I don't know if the problem with my Raptor has some little quirk like this starting to be a problem.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I must say i had a similar issue happen to me twice now. After fueling up, not to the top even, the truck wouldnt start. It took 2 or 3 tries to get it going. Once it started everything was fine. No engine light went on either. Wasnt even same gas station. Weird.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Have you tried leaving the truck running while fueling? It would be way interesting if it started coughing and sputtering while you fueled.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
The truck will have to go in to the dealer but the problem you are facing is getting it to repeat when they have it. It's hard to fix it if it's not broke kinda thing..
Try and use your gas tube in the drive way to simulate a gas fill up...I'm referring to the white funnel that's in with your jack. Take it and insert it in the gas hole as you would when the truck has it's problem. At least then you can do this at the dealer to show them whats going on..
There are just to many things that can be going on...
One thing .. Is the metal dirt door in the gas hole closed all the way and locked? Try and push it open with your finger. You should not be able to. ( That's what the white funnel does )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update... The fix. The problem was a electronically controlled vent from the fuel tank to the intake. It was opening instead of closing during fueling and letting fuel vapours from the tank up and into the intake causing a flooded motor. New valve and all is good again in Raptor Land.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Update... The fix. The problem was a electronically controlled vent from the fuel tank to the intake. It was opening instead of closing during fueling and letting fuel vapours from the tank up and into the intake causing a flooded motor. New valve and all is good again in Raptor Land.
Great news...Do you no where said valve is located? In the tank or under the hood?
Thanks.

·
Registered
445 Posts

This is interesting. How did you figure this out? Give me a heads up if this was a dealer fix because I want to hang on so I don't fall out of my chair when I hear it!:att:

:gun:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine did the same thing last year. But in addition to the hard starting after a fillup it collapsed the tank and bent the pump. New tank, pump, and fuel vent solenoid, no problems since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes my dealership figured out it was the Purge Valve and fixed it first try. They even removed it from a truck on the lot and had me on my way so I wouldn't have to drive back another day to have a ordered one installed.:smileup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts