F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I started researching/looking for a nice used truck about 3+ months ago. I've considered alot of makes/models and mfg's. For about the last month I narrowed it to a FX4 Super Crew. $20k range. The prices on the used ones discouraged me to the point that I went out this past weekend and started shopping for a new 09 model with the Ford Year End Incentives.

Friday night I started mapping out the dealers I would hit and ran across the Raptor on Ford's site (how did I miss that before?) and then Saturday I sat in one at the first dealership I visited. I fell in love! :doh:

So now that I've switched horses in mid stream I have a slew of common questions that I would prefer to ask this group since the salesmen that I spoke with Saturday at various dealerships were so full of it I coulda........ :box2:

Speculate

1: Whats the chances of incentives or better pricing closer to Christmas?
2: Do you think the prices on the the 5.4L will drop when the 6.2L arrives?
3: I'm assuming no official announcment on the Supercrew version yet?
4: Since this would be a daily driver as well as hauler, would you advise changing the gearing for better fuel economy?
5: Do you think the 6.2 will get similar mileage as the 5.4 on the highway if you drove conservatively?
6: I'm wanting an all in one truck. Daily driver, hauling kids, work, trail riding, hauling a travel trailer. The Raptor isn't totally impractical for these things is it? :thk:

Facts

7: The Raptor requires E85 fuel?
8: They widened the F150 frame. But the interior's dimensions are the same?
9: If 'm reading the charts correctly, the Raptor has a towing cap of 6000lbs?
10: Whats the Raptor's specs say for mileage? The 2010 FX4 SC 5.4L specs say 14-18. Seems like the Raptor's was very similar?
11: Last but not least and VERY important! Whats the total height of the Raptor? Ground to the peek of the roof? I'm wondering if it will fit into my garage. I think I have 81" to 82" if I remember correctly. :thk:

Thanks!

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
1) Quite good.
2) Yes.
3)Yes.
4)No.
5)No.
6)Yes.
7)Up to owner.
8) Same frame as pedestrian F150.
9)Yes.
10) Same.
11)78". 18.3 ft long

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6: I'm wanting an all in one truck. Daily driver, hauling kids, work, trail riding, hauling a travel trailer. The Raptor isn't totally impractical for these things is it?
Thanks for the reply gasgasman. Can you elaborate on this one? Also, if the FX4 SC and Raptor have the same gas mileage, would you also consider the FX4 SC impractical for my needs? Asking for personal opinon so don't be shy.

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
Thanks for the reply gasgasman. Can you elaborate on this one? Also, if the FX4 SC and Raptor have the same gas mileage, would you also consider the FX4 SC impractical for my needs? Asking for personal opinon so don't be shy.

I think you will do better with a King Ranch Crew Cab.
It costs less, will tow more, gets better mileage, bigger bed, and more room for the family.
The Raptor is a niche vehicle, it is limited to what you can do with it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
They widened the frame for the spare, I think the rest is the same width. The fenders and wheel track are wider but the interior and bed are the same as std f150.

At 82" height the antenna will scrape in and out. I went with a shorty antenna to solve the problem. I hated having white paint on my antenna top and it was making a nice mark on my grage door opening.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They widened the frame for the spare, I think the rest is the same width. The fenders and wheel track are wider but the interior and bed are the same as std f150.
Gotcha

At 82" height the antenna will scrape in and out. I went with a shorty antenna to solve the problem. I hated having white paint on my antenna top and it was making a nice mark on my grage door opening.
I was guessing it was going to be close and thats pretty close. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you will do better with a King Ranch Crew Cab.
It costs less, will tow more, gets better mileage, bigger bed, and more room for the family. The Raptor is a niche vehicle, it is limited to what you can do with it.
Sound advice that I can't argue with. But there is also the cool sporty factor of the Raptor. It's almost like choosing between a station wagon or a sport coupe. Technically you could fit the wife and two kids in the sport coupe. They may have to hold the grocieries in thier laps though. :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
129 Posts
There have been some spy shots taken of a Raptor crew cab if you prefer a larger cab. I think I would prefer the crew myself, but have to reserve 100% certainty until I see one in person and compare it with the super cab. The crew cab will likely not be out for another year though.
As for the fuel mileage question, I don't think there will be much, if any difference between the 5.4 and the 6.2. The extra power the 6.2 will provide will make it easier to accelerate the truck and push it through the air at highway speeds. This has been proven with sports cars and trucks alike, where the V8 gets almost identical mpg as the V6 version. Plus the new 6.2 will have cylinder deactivation that will turn it into a 4 cylinder at cruising speed and throttle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I've seen the spy shots and put alot of thought into it. As I said above I originally set out to buy a Super Crew FX4. But after seeing the Super Cab on the Raptor and test driving a Super Cab FX4 today, I think I can make do with the Super Cab. Not to mention a Super Crew Raptor is going to cost even more. Then the 6.2 is another upgrade cost. The two together would put it out of my reach.

As for the fuel mileage question, I don't think there will be much, if any difference between the 5.4 and the 6.2. The extra power the 6.2 will provide will make it easier to accelerate the truck and push it through the air at highway speeds. This has been proven with sports cars and trucks alike, where the V8 gets almost identical mpg as the V6 version. Plus the new 6.2 will have cylinder deactivation that will turn it into a 4 cylinder at cruising speed and throttle.
I didn't know about the cylinder deactivation. Now that could be a deciding factor for me between the two engines. What sucks is that means more waiting. :)

As for the 6.2 having the same gas mileage as the 5.4, I've heard the same thing from some while the opposite from others. I dunno what to believe. Another reason to wait I guess.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've read the same thing about the 6.2 and having the 'active fuel management' feature...hopefully it's true...that would be an added bonus to the engine!

·
Registered
36 Posts
That would be interesting if they get the same mileage out of that engine. You can buy a lot of gas for $3000 though, so I'm guessing most that will wait will be doing it for the better HP and torque.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but what is the height of the antenna?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts