F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI
Just had my pump replaced under warranty.
The receipt stated "Checked Oasis and found SSM 21828"
They replaced the pump with part number BL3Z 3A696 A Pump ASY

·
Registered
257 Posts
A hose right on top of the radiator just came apart while driving and blew all the fluid out. The crazy thing is that on the hose next to the factory clamp was a cheap radiator hose clamp... It is a brand new truck that has only been in to the dealer for an oil change, where the hell did that come from? Because it is late I can't get the right mercon v fluid only dex/merc now it whines like a bitch and the engine bay is covered in fluid. Anyone have this issue? I am on vaca and have to find a dealer in the morn.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yep... Mechanic was at a loss as to where the clamp came from. New pump should be in tomorrow. Driving this truck without power steering is like driving with a trailer, you must plan your moves 2 steps ahead.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Yep... Mechanic was at a loss as to where the clamp came from. New pump should be in tomorrow. Driving this truck without power steering is like driving with a trailer, you must plan your moves 2 steps ahead.
I'm surprised they let you take the tuck with the power stearing not working. That's a liability on there end if you get in a accident.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I was at Silver Lake when it happened. Drove it to Luddington the next morning, they flushed the system and put in new fluid. They test drove it and it was working fine, only with a whine. The pump was irreversibly damaged, but working, at the time and I had to get home somehow as it was the holiday weekend and they couldn't get a pump for a week. It worked for about 40 miles, but now I have nothing. Pump should be here today and it is going in tomorrow for replacement.

Is there anything else that can be negatively affected from driving 400 miles without power steering?

·
Registered
257 Posts
yeah, but i don't live near there, and i had my family and associated accoutrement so, i could have left it with them and then have to move all luggage and stuff into a loaner, drive that home, then drive 3 hours back to get it when it is done. i chose to drive it home instead. it really isn't that bad.

·
Registered
469 Posts
does anybody know if this is a common prob??
Yes.......the factory reservoir is not large enough to handle any "aggresive off roading". It works fine for daily use on the highway and around town. Use the search button up top and type in "power steering reservoir"....you will find several post discussing this and the remedy.

XIT

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
The problem is the factory put no baffling in the reservoir..
What you are looking for is a horizontal baffle NOT a vertical one. This will keep the fluid from climbing the walls when the truck is rocking back and forth and jumping threw the air. This is when air will be aloud to reach the bottom and enter the system...
If you take a 1/4 full water bottle and move it side to side while keeping it perfectly vertical you will understand what I mean.
Be careful when looking for your new reservoir. There seems to be a lot of claims out there but horizontal baffling is the correct answer..
I went with the Howe unit...Baja and Dekkar tested and proven..
I left the fluid low so you can see the upper baffle.. There are two in this unit.

I just went 800+ miles of wicked off roading on the Raptor Expeditions run and never herd a peep out of the Power Steering..

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Just to add for clarity..
Here are a few You Tube vid's
If this was your reservoir connected to the truck and you were rocking and rolling down a trail you can see how the fluid would start sloshing and climbing the walls....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glqYfVNe0Bk&feature=related
Here is a video with vertical baffling..
As you can see this will actually create more of a problem as you have now created more walls for the oil climb up and off the bottom of the vessel plus there only effective in one direction anyway..A vertical system will help in a very shallow slow movement NOT 60-70-80 MPH flying down a trail and jumping your truck threw the air..Or 5- 10 MPH climbing a nice hill for that matter..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Mzw8aDlL0

All though I couldn't find a video readily available to demonstrate the effects that a horizontal baffle will have. You guy's can plainly see what is going on in this system under hard off road use and how horizontal baffles will rectify the problem..This is why the pro's have these systems on there trucks..

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yes.......the factory reservoir is not large enough to handle any "aggresive off roading". It works fine for daily use on the highway and around town. Use the search button up top and type in "power steering reservoir"....you will find several post discussing this and the remedy.

XIT
My mistake.........no baffle.

XIT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts