F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from my dealer today my raptor will be in soon. They asked me if I would like a protection package which is undercoating, paint protection, and rust protection for $1650. The price just seems pretty high in my mind and im not sure if any of the stuff is really gonna make a difference.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got a call from my dealer today my raptor will be in soon. They asked me if I would like a protection package which is undercoating, paint protection, and rust protection for $1650. The price just seems pretty high in my mind and im not sure if any of the stuff is really gonna make a difference.

It is all profit for the Dealer. No way. I was offer the same plus window etching, and wheel insurance. Turn it down and started to get up and walk away from the Finance guy cuz he wouldn't let up about what a great deal this was.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have always been told that it is a waste of money. The standard warranties cover a lot of the same items as a protection package.

I don't have it on my Raptor.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I figured its just a upsell thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yep, not worth it the way they (the dealer) mark things up.
I always get the vehicles under coated though.
Electro galvanized, e-coat and the paper thin paint job are not enough especially in Michigan.
I may have this one reapplied again this year just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
802 Posts
They all come with undercoating all ready. And the paint protection is usually just a gimmick (AKA a guy with a 10 dollar wax bottle).

·
Registered
8 Posts
SuperRaptor is right. I used to work in makeready at a local Ford dealer and the "protection package" they offered for an extra $600 only involved us putting on some fabric sealant (basically some scotch guard) to the carpets and some cheap paint sealant that didn't do more than any other wax. Definitely not worth the money at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I paid $600 for the undercoating and the paint protection (I think the paint protection was a joke...) but I was more than happy with the unercoat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Former Ford Service Manager here, Stay away from the Dealer add-ons. All they are designed to do is add Clear profit to the bottom line for the Sales Department. In most cases the Items like Sealants and Finish protectors are low cost, high margin items that are Sold based on Profit not on how well they perform. Further most of the items sold in these packages do not meet Ford Motor Company's warranty requirements.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you want additional protection as Dealer stated, you can DIY for penny's to the dollar. Keep your truck washed after getting it dirty, spray the underside as needed and/or ratlle can it yourself with undercoating you can buy @ NAPA, hand wax it now and then, and scotchgaurd the interior yourself - or use the same rule my wife and I use - NO EATING OR DRINKING IN THE TRUCK!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I DID pay the 600.00 for the tire and wheel insurance, it will pay for tires AND rims... Here in Vegas i ran over a, what looked like a "mini" I beam and it cost me 375.00 for a new tire for my old Infiniti FX35 so I figured, if I do damage to the tires of rims it will pay for itsefl first time out!!

mattbcnv:bananalama:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Please everyone! Don't fall for this crap!!! If the dealers were smart, they would offer genuine accessories instead. At least you can see what your dollars just purchased.

·
Banned
6 Posts
undercoating is ok, paint protection is the Simoniz application and it wears off in a year and you have to keep applying it. and the truck is already warrantied against rust....so it's a rip off. buy the truck and if you decided you want the undercoat or paint protection then go to Ziebart and get their undercoating and Diamond Gloss package for 1/3 the money.!!!
(yes i realize this is an old post but for future reference)

·
Banned
6 Posts
I DID pay the 600.00 for the tire and wheel insurance, it will pay for tires AND rims... Here in Vegas i ran over a, what looked like a "mini" I beam and it cost me 375.00 for a new tire for my old Infiniti FX35 so I figured, if I do damage to the tires of rims it will pay for itsefl first time out!!

mattbcnv:bananalama:
the same protection can be had for $40/ea tire from a tire shop that sells BFG road hazard warranties.

·
Registered
71 Posts
the same protection can be had for $40/ea tire from a tire shop that sells BFG road hazard warranties.
does that include the RIM??

If it does, well i will start to cry....

LOL

mattbcnv:shy:

·
Registered
44 Posts
buy the truck and if you decided you want the undercoat or paint protection then go to Ziebart and get their undercoating and Diamond Gloss package for 1/3 the money.!!!
(yes i realize this is an old post but for future reference)
DO NOT GO TO ZIEBART!!!!

Just went there and asked them to undercoat the truck and wheel wells and install mudflaps while they were at it. Also ended up getting front windows tinted as they offered a really good deal.

This afternoon, went to pick up truck, no mudflaps installed and undercoating all over those beautiful Fox shocks! Also had the undercoating on outside of wheel wells and front skid plate! Not like they coated it on purpose, just did the sloppiest job I've ever seen.

Tint actually seems ok but a week or so will tell there.

To add to it all the Ziebart manager was a total jerk when I asked him about it. It was almost like I inconvenienced them by bringing the Raptor in to pay them to perform services.

So, just spent about 30 minutes cleaning that crap off the shocks cussing like a fool the whole time.

Save your money, more importantly; save yourself the aggravation. Don't go to Ziebart!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts