Pulled the swaybar off

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Chassis - Suspension - Wheels & Tires' started by fordwop, May 28, 2010.

1. fordwop

fordwop Member

I know this has been covered in another thread, but I pulled the swaybar today and took it out for a drive. Like I suspected, the car handles just fine on the road and feels like a pre-runner should. It has just the right amount of body roll and driving over large speedbumps at different angles you can feel the suspension up front working more independent than before. I know some feel this is unsafe, but I have had a few pre-runners in the past and always took the front bar off. For those of you have been debating on doing this, give it a shot, if you don't like it, just put it back on.

2. quicksinner

quicksinner Member Military

Color?:
    Blue Flame
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    interesting....... might have to give it a shot.

3. fordwop

fordwop Member

It makes sense when you think about it. You won't find a race-car in the desert that runs one. The real test is when I go back out to the desert to see if its noticeably better????

4. Raptorguy21

Raptorguy21 Member

Color?:
    Blue Flame
    Engine:
    GEN1 5.4L
    I did this along time ago.........and I highly recommend it

5. Flounderstalker

Flounderstalker Ford Raptor Forum - Ford Raptor Club

Color?:
    Tuxedo Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 5.4L
    Sorry to be a bone-head, but what is it on there for if it works great without it? Is it like tonsils?

6. Red

Red Member

Same question I had Ray <G>.

Red

7. fordwop

fordwop Member

They most likely put it on because it helps reduce body roll on the street. But for off roading its kind of useless. when the right side hits a bump, you don't want the left side to be effected by the sway bar. When you remove it, the front acts as a true independent suspension. Now, if you are building a road car for the track, you want larger bars than stock to prevent as much body roll as you can, and it helps keep the inner wheel planted on the ground when cornering hard. Type in a google image search of trophy truck suspension, you won't see a swaybar near a purpose built off road truck. Honestly, the more I drive it the more I like it. I like a little roll in my truck...

8. fordwop

fordwop Member

9. fordwop

fordwop Member

10. cobrafun50

cobrafun50 Member

Albums:
    Color?:
    Blue Flame
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L

Welllllllll, bigger bar for the track car? Sometimes. It all depends on the setup and track. The same things can be true on the track as in the dirt. What's always true is changes to the front effects the rear and vice versa.

Big bar = flatter attitude. (body roll)
    Small or no bar = more compliance. (to the track)

After running a big bar with stiff bushings and links I tried a softer front bar setup and ended up with a more balanced car. Push vs oversteer. Now I'm wondering how stiff this Raptor bar is vs other F150s and if SVT made a bar change because of all the wheel travel.:3-smash:

For now I'm certainly curious but I'll keep the bar as is and my coffee in the cup holder, spill free. You guys thinking gimbal mounts for your frapachino? :thk:

11. fordwop

fordwop Member

Good question about the stiffness of the raptor bar vs the f-150. I would like to know this as well. Don't worry about your coffee, their isn't as much roll as some are thinking and the rear isn't trying to chase it self around the front of the truck.

Also, I should have clarified I was talking about the rear bars on track cars. I actually ended up doing the same thing as you on my last car. I put on to stiff of a bar up front and the car started to understeer real bad. Switched back to the softer bar and kept the bigger bar in the rear and it helped the car rotate a lot better. All setups are different, but I will say pulling it off is worth the effort. Its 3 bolts and done...

12. winvest

winvest Member

Vehicle?:
    '10 Scab
    Color?:
    Molten Orange
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    It might be worth looking into some sway bar disconnects so you can have the best of both worlds. I know that here in the mountains of Colorado the sway bar is nice to have to keep the body roll to a minimum when cornering.

13. fordwop

fordwop Member

Not a bad idea, but honestly the extra body roll is not bad at all. I would say the truck has about 10-15% more body roll than with the bar connected. Truth be told, the more I drive it the more I like it without the bar connected. I would say give it a try, takes all of 10 minutes to take it off...

14. Mitchellkeenan

Mitchellkeenan New Member

Vehicle?:
    2012 f150
    Color?:
    Oxford White
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I know it was a while ago but since you guys took yours off would anyone consider selling their OEM sway bars?