F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Been around since 2014, actually about to buy a used Raptor and officially join the family. Lottery didn't pan out back in 2014 or anytime since, and didn't have the $ for a new one.

Looking hard at at a 2012 at a Toyota dealer. Haven't gone by yet, just went over listing on web with a fine toothed comb for past 3 days. Exterior looks immaculate, just concerned about not missing any potential mechanical problems.

Obviously a sales person is not going to stand there while I ask 100+ questions, and being a non-Ford dealer they most likely wouldn't know the answers anyhow.

I have compiled a list of about 80-90 things that I need to check, but again, they are not going to have patience with me in doing that.

QUESTION: When I go and look at it and take a test drive, what would be a handful of the MOST IMPORTANT things to look for to make sure that this Raptor is not a lemon? What are the critical items or most expensive to repair/replace if it craps out a week after I buy it?

I will only have a few minutes to ascertain its condition on a short test drive, just want to make sure that things like 4wd, engine, A/C, etc. are all working.

Suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

Boz

·
Registered
199 Posts
whats the miles on the truck?
I have a 2011 supercrew with 150,000 miles. Let me pass as much information as possible. For sum reason, a bearing on the ring and pinion gear started to fail on me. It was noisy but there were no leaks from the rear end. Repaired the bearing and changed out the fluid and the cover itself. I had a crush/crimp style power steering line leak, easy fix. The A/C worked perfect for 149,000 miles, never charged. But inside the A/C condenser is a single line at the top for power steering fluid cooling. That ish cracked and starting leaking top of condenser passenger side. Easy to spot with hood open, easy fix.
I ran two sets of FOX SHOX 2.5, they both started leaking at 80,000 miles. They all gonna leak sooner or later. I recommend running either FOX 3.0, Kings, or ICONs. At 80,000, miles get new suspension. My leaf springs need to be replaced. I recommend DEAVER's at around 120,000 miles. Stock wheels heavy, I recommend lighter wheels with a +12 offset or less. I recommend 35" by 12.5" tires. Ridge Grapplers are amazing, highly recommended. Although, if you want an even better road tire with a killer warranty, try the NEW Toyo Open Country At III's. I'm running Black Rhino wheels with a +12 offset on 35" Ridge Grapplers, absolutely no rubbing at anytime and I jump the truck.
Vent Actuators, AKA: blender doors work but are noisy. Cycle the A/C from max hot to max cold upon start up. Listen for clicking sounds inside the dash, annoying loud plastic clicking sounds coming from behind the dash. The blender door actuator behind radio is easy fix. 2nd one is located under vents under dash and they are impossible to remove without removing the entire dash board.

List of issues:
Power steering hose leak
A/C Condenser leaking power steering fluid
A/C Blender Door Actuators
Ring and Pinion Bearing Failure
Heated Seats No Workie
FoX Shox, good for 80,000 miles then repair or replace
Rear Leaf Springs, good for 120,000 miles then replace
Noisy A/C and heater vent actuators, blender doors
Third Brake light replaced twice, $400 part
Rear Camera Glitches, inspect wires under seat for pinched wires, adjust seat
Rear defroster out, probably due to dirty contact points at sliding rear glass

Replace any and all bulbs with LED's including headlights
Front rotors good for about 70,000 miles, rear rotors about 140,000 miles but stock brakes suck and dump the MOST brake dust ever. Replace stock brakes with something better ASAP.

Ensure 4X4 works, both high and low, ensure locking rear end works, ensure offroad mode works, and never....never ever Hold the Traction Control Button down for five seconds or MOAR. Truck turns into a freaking animal and can not be controlled by non-professional drivers. Don't do it! Danger Follows!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a silver supercrew we saw online today with 130,000 mile ish going for $24,000
About the same as what I'm looking at. Just want to make sure I don't have to spend $10,000 2 months after buying it because I missed some critical issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts