F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a very nice toy hauler and be able to travel the country with my sport bikes in the back hitting lots of tracks, doing some mountain biking, hunting, basically a huge 1month "mancation". If I can get the raptor it will become my daily driver and tow this trailer when needed then when I get to a place where there is off road/desert I'd also play with my hauler!

I know what im going to ask is way out of the factory range but from what I found in my research is that the raptors limiting factor is the soft suspension. I found some helper rubber bumpers that replace the stock bump stops and are quick change back to off roading again but lost the link.
I want to haul this http://voltagehaulers.com/index.php?p=specs&model=3950

fully loaded mine will range around 17.5klbs. I know this is almost 10k over what is factory rated but 434lbs of tq is plenty to haul this on flat ground.
The hitch weight will be less than that by having about 800-1000lbs way in the back of the trailer behind the axel.

I MAY be able to downsize the trailer but can't see living in anything smaller than a 30ft which will be around 12k fully laden. Is THIS do-able.

A vw touareg can pull a f'ing 747, why can't a raptor pull a big toy hauler?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zRyoBbcfI

I really don't want to have to buy and drive one of these...ugh
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...a8fQQitemZ150607678095QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

·
Registered
877 Posts
Sounds like its HD time! The regular F-150s arent even rated for that. A few years ago thats all the HDs would do

·
Registered
252 Posts
Why too big.. you will probably tear up the rear end of a raptor even though its beefed up, its not built for that much weight. 30 ft might work if you get some airbags but its guna be really hard on your truck... Let me know if u find airbags for a raptor ive been looking

·
Registered
239 Posts
I towed 9500 lbs in Raptor Supercab that was rated for 6000lbs and I think that would be about max weight. Maybe 11000 lbs in a Crewcab. Even then it is not something you would want to do cross country. It's not safe or legal. If you're in an accident your insurance co is bailing out and you will probably face criminal charges if there is an injury. Don't mean to be a buzz killer but 17000 lbs would require a SD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info guys!

I need to look at some 30ft's and see if I can live with something that small and if theres anything I can do to get a fully laden trailer to be down to around 10kish.

Also, for the hitch system most of the nicer trailers are that bottle neck style. What is the deal with the system that fits in the bed of the truck where it attaches?
this should help with the weight being ONLY on the rear shocks of the raptor since the weight will be between the wheelbase rather than behind the bumper trailer hitch?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Search for towing and weight distribution hitches or look through my posts. I posted several times explaining in detail how best to tow heavy trailers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers won't fit the 5 1/2' bed used on a Raptor. A Raptor is a cool truck, but just not designed for your needs, get an SD. Like BajaBob says, your insurance will bail on you if you are involved in any mishap, even if you are only a couple hundred pounds over the advertised capacity. Also, you will go to jail if you can be proven guilty of being overloaded and causing an accident

·
Banned
321 Posts
With the questions your asking it sounds like you have little or no towing experience ? I fully agree with most comments to go with a superduty. If you REALLY want the Raptor and the 30-40 ft toy box, hire a professional to move it where you want it then you wont find out how dangerous towing really can be.

Towing is not all about having the horsepower to get it rolling, it's about keeping the towed vehicle(trailer) under control in ANY situation that may arrise unexpectedly !

·
Registered
78 Posts
These are your choices:

If you have a Raptor SuperCab: You best stay below 6,000 pounds (fully loaded) on your trailer & toys.

If you have a Raptor SuperCrew: You should not exceed 8,000 pounds.

Maximum payloads/towing weights are set by the manufacturer for good reason.

If you are willing to give up the superior desert truck (Ford F-150 S.V.T. Raptor) and can compromise to a superior trail truck, a Ram 2500 Power Wagon, then you can safely tow a trailer (loaded with toys) that weighs no more than 10,300 pounds.

If you insist on towing more than 13,000 pounds, safely and legally, then as others have stated, you need a Ford F-350 Super Duty or a Ram 3500 Heavy Duty.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would definintely look at a weight distribution hitch. It will transfer the downward force at your hitch evenly across the wheelbase of your truck. This offers unparreled
stability and peace of mind. You'll be amazed out how much it helps out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just drove my first raptor today. Felt like a solid truck just was laughable how quiet it is for how agressive it is. South florida dealer told me it will be impossible to get me a orange fully loaded 11' scab. Is this BS?

BTW I searched for a weight distrib. hitch and only found stuff for an f150 not the raptor

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I have a weight distribution hitch on my raptor for what I tow, when you buy your trailer they can sell you all the goodies you need (get them thrown in for free, seriously). That trailer still looks a bit big for the Raptor. I've been looking to upgrade my trailer for a toy hauler and the max I think is safe is a 24', you never carry them empty, you have to always carry some water, gas, toys, food, etc, it's amazing what you accumulate, shit just the propane can weigh 100 lbs, adds up quick. The Raptor can pull just about anything out of the hole with it's torgue and gearing, but even with the hitch on mine I always over inflate the tires to 55psi, to stop some of the sway in the truck. You need lots of experience and patience to tow something that big, just saying, be carefull :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers won't fit the 5 1/2' bed used on a Raptor. A Raptor is a cool truck, but just not designed for your needs, get an SD. Like BajaBob says, your insurance will bail on you if you are involved in any mishap, even if you are only a couple hundred pounds over the advertised capacity. Also, you will go to jail if you can be proven guilty of being overloaded and causing an accident
I thought the same thing until I looked at the Reese & Draw tite websites. Both list hitches for the 5.5 bed. Why you would want to pull a 5th with a Raptor (or any 5.5 bed) is beyond me, as your turing radius is going to be tricky-even with a slider hitch.
And, yes towing overloaded is great way to end up in jail with a M/S charge.
Why does everyone want to try to pull a dog sled with a Greyhound?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Stunt... I was looking at doing the same thing awhile back. In fact, if you've done the research on this site, you've probably read threads with my posts in them.

I was looking to buy a 26-ft toy hauler for my motorcycles. No can do with the Raptor... too much weight.

The only toy hauler I saw worth considering was a small 19-ft Jayco, with a GVWR of 7000 lbs... but I decided it wasn't going to meet my needs. Too cramped & confined for what it was going to cost me.

Finally I ended up ordering a customized 7x14 V-nose enclosed Haulmark trailer. I had it built with 30 amp service, extra height, and all finished inside with vinyl walls, fluorescent lights, and electrical outlets.

GVWR is still 7,000 lbs, and the empty weight is just a tad over 2,500 lbs. I am installing Moduline aluminum cabinets in the V-nose for a workbench area, and a fold-out combination couch/bed along one wall. Total weight of those items is only 250 lbs... leaving me over 4,000 lbs of cargo capacity.

http://www.modulinecabinets.com/

When loaded, I use a Reese Strait-Line trunnion bar weight distribution hitch, rated for 800 lbs of tongue weight, and everything works great.

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1600&catID=1665∂=66083

Bottom line... I don't have a dedicated LR, kitchen, or bedroom area... but it does what I need. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So to beat a "dead horse" a vw touareg with a v6 has a 7700lb towing capacity and the raptor with a wider wheelbase and everything is only 6000lb for scab.

What is this deal with going to jail. I read something on here about just buying for $25 with registration of your trailer to say its whatever weight or something.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The engine can handle the load fine... as well as the remaining parts of the drive train (probably). It's your special Raptor off-road type suspension, and the shorter wheel-base that limits your towing weight capability.

Your comparison to the VW is apples to oranges.

My 2009 F-150 Lariat Super Crew with the towing package had a 13,000 lb GVWR limit. Same truck class (F-150) and even a smaller engine (5.4)... but a longer wheelbase and a heavier-duty suspension.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts