F-150 Raptor Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Damn! And it's not even squatting excessively! How does it handle the load? And by that I mean steering and stopping it? The 6.2L is rated to tow more than that in the heavier, detuned SD so I'm sure it can accelerate it just fine...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Power wise it is amazing! Its like a diesel from a dead stop, you can roll into the throttle and light up the tires if you want. Obviously with the tall sidewalls of the tires and the suspension on the truck it is not ideal for pulling. I wouldnt pull cross country with it but for 60 miles each weekend to the lake it is just fine. I dont run over 70mph pulling.

You can here the tread on the front tires making a little noise if you stop hard with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Plenty of power but not much control

As someone who seems to have trailers behind my vehicles pretty often I have found you have to be careful with the Raptor. The suspension travel that makes it land soft really hurts when a semi passes while you are towing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Smart folks here. That said my 6.0 chevy 1500 pulled about 17000 lbs worth of enclosed trailer once, without trailer brakes, in an emergency I am pro level driver but still wasn't smart

My guess is with sway control bars, proper low hitch height and tongue weight, and good trailer lts and brakes you'd be relatively safe going a good bit over limit if you pay attention. But weight will definitely be a factor in the consequences if anything happens

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm sure if any Sate Trooper/Highway patrol worth His Salt would waste no time hanging any body by the short ones if they thought they were towing 10,000lbs over GCVW.
Secondly, stop watching those XX commercials.:wow:

·
Registered
2 Posts
What about this guys?

I have found a smoking deal on this Toy Hauler that is killing me right now to buy. I wanted to go with a Ultra Light Towy hauler but I can't rationalize the difference in the cost; almost 5grand used.

Check out this sticker 6890 empty, maybe 8500 with two bikes in it or 8900 with three quads? I never haul water toany site and I always fill up out in the desert or the camp site. Only Fuel for the stove and the bikes fuel.

I had a 2002 Excursion and I am a experienced individual when it comes to towing so i am not worried about my experience but about screwing up the long travel suspension.

Last question has anyone looked into availability or even fabbing up some custom Firestone Airbags just for the towing time?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Surprised I did not get any replies but still I had No problems, hooked my "New-old" toy hauler up leveled it out with the level hitch, it had flipped axles and it towed it like it was not even there. No issues whatsoever. Towed just as good as my 7.3 Turbo Excursion---no where near the fuel mileage but that was to be expected. I averaged around 8 miles per gallon. Not bad but I kept it under 70.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
why must dodge fans join the ford forumz????

If you are willing to give up the superior desert truck (Ford F-150 S.V.T. Raptor) and can compromise to a superior trail truck, a Ram 2500 Power Wagon,

not a superior truck at all, just a 2500, my buddies 2011 power wagon is sluggish and rough on any road. the raptor is far supperior. the only thing the 2011 raptor doesnt have is a front locker, which is solved with the 2012. dodge is so far behing on everything. power wagons only come with cloth seats?! ur in a ford forum, not a dodge forum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
update; towed my 28' enclosed trailer with the raptor. it has sway bars, and I probably only loaded 2000 pounds in it but the trailer itself is pretty heavy. circumstances required more tongue weight than i'd like but the sway bars really help that.

the truck towed extremely well. a little squat but the rear was very stable and i had no qualms in any situation.

7.3 mpg... not so great.

overall, the raptor tows as well as my 6.2 gas 2011 chevy quad cab with max trailering, which is pretty good.

the ford's brakes are not as good, they never are, but the trailer brakes made that issue essentially irrelevant.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Pulled my 20' car hauler trailer with one Rhino and three Brute Forces, averaged 7.5mpg running 80mph on an 1.5hr trip, we have made the same trip multiple times with different trucks my buddys 2011 F250 6.7 got 10.7mpg pulling the same setup.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts