F-150 Raptor Forums banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thought I'd add my two cents to the discussion. I pulled my 23 ft Weekend Warrior Toy hauler 3 hrs to Lake Havasu with my 2012 Screw Raptor. It handled it pretty well.

I did notice on one section of highway in Las Vegas there was a lot of bounce. I think the highway has something of a repeating ripple to it and the trailer and truck got into a sine wave like rhythm. I'd tried applying the trailer brakes to break out of the rhythm and that didn't work. Trying different speeds didn't work. Only leaving that section of highway got rid of the bounce. I never felt anything like that before when using the Toyota Sequoia as a pull vehicle. I'm assuming it's the softer longer travel shocks that caused the issue.

Overall, I was reasonable happy with how the Raptor handled towing my WW. It is a Superlite model. I had two quads in the WW. I'm planning on taking a much longer trip over July 4th weekend. I'll try to remember to take more pics of the Raptor on that trip. The pictures below were an afterthough on the way back from Havasu at a gas station outside of Lauglin, just to show the stance of the Raptor while hooked up to the trailer.

·
Registered
502 Posts
awesome!!! Nice looking truck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. Once I get the Raptor washed up I'll have to take pictures of it next to my other vehicle - A 2001 BMW M Roadster. That should make for an odd couple.

The WW has been a great trailer. Too bad the company went out of business.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK, I've got the beast washed up.

2001 M Roadster & 2012 Raptor.

The roadster community has very active online forums, looks like the Raptor community is pretty active too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
here's a pic of my setup. not as long as yours but I have a 3,000lb car inside. Since this pic was taken I adjusted my hitch height up a notch and added a couple washers to my WD hitch to bring the tongue down. Trailer rides level now and front only came up 1/4" loaded. Made huge difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see you have a WD hitch, which is good. Tongue weight looks a little heavy in the second pic, or did you do a perch adj? Cross your safety chains.

Looks nice!!
Thanks. Didn't know about crossing the safety chains.

No perch adjust. Tongue weight might be a little heavy. The trailer looked nice and level hooked up on the driveway, though. I've ordered some Timbren springs that I'll just use when I'm towing. See if that improves the situation.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks. Didn't know about crossing the safety chains.
I didn't either until NHP pointed it out :( The idea is if the trailer comes off the hitch, the tongue will be 'caught' by the crossed chains instead of going all the way to the ground and digging into the pavement, which flips the trailer. You can/should twist the chains a turn or two to loosen up the slack a bit. Finally, when you click the safety chain hooks onto your truck, make sure you come up under, rather than over, so the spring catch is pointing upwards. Maybe you're already doing this I couldn't tell. Anyways, the idea behind this is if you bottom your truck out on a dip, you clobber the tow hook instead of the spring clip, which will easily break off and the safety chain could potentially unhook itself. I hope none of this come across as a lecture, but you're probably better off hearing it from me instead of NHP/CHP ;):D:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't either until NHP pointed it out :( The idea is if the trailer comes off the hitch, the tongue will be 'caught' by the crossed chains instead of going all the way to the ground and digging into the pavement, which flips the trailer. You can/should twist the chains a turn or two to loosen up the slack a bit. Finally, when you click the safety chain hooks onto your truck, make sure you come up under, rather than over, so the spring catch is pointing upwards. Maybe you're already doing this I couldn't tell. Anyways, the idea behind this is if you bottom your truck out on a dip, you clobber the tow hook instead of the spring clip, which will easily break off and the safety chain could potentially unhook itself. I hope none of this come across as a lecture, but you're probably better off hearing it from me instead of NHP/CHP ;):D:D
No, not a lecture. I appreciate the information. I'm always receptive of good advice. When I first started towing the WW in 2006, I had a friend, who had been towing toy haulers for years, go over all the aspects of towing with me. Either I forgot about crossing the chains or he neglected to tell me. :doh:

·
Registered
34 Posts
\

Great advice!! thanks-

·
Registered
802 Posts
I want to buy a very nice toy hauler and be able to travel the country with my sport bikes in the back hitting lots of tracks, doing some mountain biking, hunting, basically a huge 1month "mancation". If I can get the raptor it will become my daily driver and tow this trailer when needed then when I get to a place where there is off road/desert I'd also play with my hauler!

I know what im going to ask is way out of the factory range but from what I found in my research is that the raptors limiting factor is the soft suspension. I found some helper rubber bumpers that replace the stock bump stops and are quick change back to off roading again but lost the link.
I want to haul this http://voltagehaulers.com/index.php?p=specs&model=3950

fully loaded mine will range around 17.5klbs. I know this is almost 10k over what is factory rated but 434lbs of tq is plenty to haul this on flat ground.
The hitch weight will be less than that by having about 800-1000lbs way in the back of the trailer behind the axel.

I MAY be able to downsize the trailer but can't see living in anything smaller than a 30ft which will be around 12k fully laden. Is THIS do-able.

A vw touareg can pull a f'ing 747, why can't a raptor pull a big toy hauler?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zRyoBbcfI

I really don't want to have to buy and drive one of these...ugh
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...a8fQQitemZ150607678095QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks
These people live among us. :doh:

·
Registered
502 Posts
That video is so funny. When I first saw it, it looked like a Chevy

·
Registered
118 Posts
no one said it before ... and couldn't find any reference to it

but wouldn't a 5th Wheel setup increase pay-load / tow-capacity ?
and why does no one have it on a raptor

not sure but from what i understand of it
it is like the grade A of towable way's to go

·
Registered
3 Posts
No one has a 5th wheel on a raptor because there is no point to do so...but i bet you see quite a few on f250, f350, dodge and chevy HD's. Wait we might be on to something here...wonder why?

So to sum this all up. Don't take any of this advice given about getting a HD truck which by the way would be a no-brainer. Stronger frame, tow rating, multiple benefits of a diesel truck, improved MPG while towing might be a big one, etc. etc.

Buy a raptor, tow whatever the *&^ you want with it, including 747's...and keep that gene pool going.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts