F-150 Raptor Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
No one has a 5th wheel on a raptor because there is no point to do so...but i bet you see quite a few on f250, f350, dodge and chevy HD's. Wait we might be on to something here...wonder why?

So to sum this all up. Don't take any of this advice given about getting a HD truck which by the way would be a no-brainer. Stronger frame, tow rating, multiple benefits of a diesel truck, improved MPG while towing might be a big one, etc. etc.

Buy a raptor, tow whatever the *&^ you want with it, including 747's...and keep that gene pool going.
I know that a raptor is not ment to be a tow verhicle
It was more like a question if any one ever did so

I would never do so. As i see no use for towing over 4tons metric

I rather abuse the raptor for creating a smile on my face
and fear on everyone else

·
Registered
35 Posts
no one said it before ... and couldn't find any reference to it

but wouldn't a 5th Wheel setup increase pay-load / tow-capacity ?
and why does no one have it on a raptor

not sure but from what i understand of it
it is like the grade A of towable way's to go
In trucks like 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks yes, you can tow more weight safely with a fifth wheel or gooseneck.

On a truck like the raptor the (relatively) tiny brakes, soft suspension, and weaker frame are your limiting points, not the safe carrying capacity of the hitch.

The reason you see very, very few fifth wheel trailers being towed by Raptors is because they have a very short 5.5' long bed. When you take a sharp turn with a fifth wheel trailer attached there's a very good chance you'll run it into the cab on a raptor, since the cab is so much closer to the center line of the axle vs. a truck with a longer bed.

Many people run sliding fifth wheel hitches to help combat this problem. In a tight turn you unlock the hitch so the kingpin is centered further back in the bed (closer to the rear bumper) to hopefully prevent the trailer from striking the cab.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Actually you have been misinformed about the short bed, there are hitches available for towing with a 5.5' bed see this thread: http://raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=19200

Im not sure i buy your comment about the tiny brakes and weaker frame, its better than or equal to any of the current regular F150's which can tow alot more but yes the suspension is much softer and is the limiting factor here but can be addressed for a couple hundred bucks.

dc

In trucks like 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks yes, you can tow more weight safely with a fifth wheel or gooseneck.

On a truck like the raptor the (relatively) tiny brakes, soft suspension, and weaker frame are your limiting points, not the safe carrying capacity of the hitch.

The reason you see very, very few fifth wheel trailers being towed by Raptors is because they have a very short 5.5' long bed. When you take a sharp turn with a fifth wheel trailer attached there's a very good chance you'll run it into the cab on a raptor, since the cab is so much closer to the center line of the axle vs. a truck with a longer bed.

Many people run sliding fifth wheel hitches to help combat this problem. In a tight turn you unlock the hitch so the kingpin is centered further back in the bed (closer to the rear bumper) to hopefully prevent the trailer from striking the cab.

·
Registered
10 Posts
for those who jump to comment, have you ever towed more than 8000k?

I owed an 03 f-150 then a 05 f250 then now an 11 crew cab raptor.

yes a 30+ foot tow hauler would be much better suited on a f250 or bigger.

however I am a firm believer that the towing rating on the raptor is under rated. Ford likely did this to cover their butts because there is alot of power on tap and low gears perfect for towing campers and other motorized toys.

I pulled a well balanced skidloader trailer loaded to the ballpark of 10000lbs and it was very stable at 65-70 there was no sway and minimal suspension sag... im sure the truck will pull way more then it can safely haul down the road so you are going to want to be smart about it.

I have no intent of starting a war here, but have you ever seen a 09 or newer dodge with the real coil springs towing 5000k or more , practically pulling a wheelie, one of the few trucks out there I would NOT even think about exceeding ratings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
At that rate for towing only way to go would be a diesel. I've had them all my life this is my first raptor even though it's got plenty of juice it's not designed for heavy loads over long distances. I will buy another Diesel to pull the toys have my Raptor for my toy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thought i'd update this. 2011 6.2 screw and been towing a 24' enclosed car hauler full of tires, gas, tools, and corvettes all day long and it is so far within its comfort zone it is a nonevent.

I am wanting a shower/crapper with a water tank, generator and ac and was thinking of going gooseneck or maybe 28 bumper pull and main question is, who has been running a gooseneck, how do you have to handle the height of the bed, and how tight is the turn radius?

·
Registered
74 Posts
All I tow is my 24' Powerboat to Parker, Mead, and Havasu. While it's not that heavy, truck acts like it's not even there....

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you are willing to give up the superior desert truck (Ford F-150 S.V.T. Raptor) and can compromise to a superior trail truck, a Ram 2500 Power Wagon,

not a superior truck at all, just a 2500, my buddies 2011 power wagon is sluggish and rough on any road. the raptor is far supperior. the only thing the 2011 raptor doesnt have is a front locker, which is solved with the 2012. dodge is so far behing on everything. power wagons only come with cloth seats?! ur in a ford forum, not a dodge forum.
Agree 100% djchoma, I don't like people to be advertising anything else than a raptor on a raptor site. I own three beasts (rubicon/SRT/Svt). Two are with Chrysler, who own the cut and paste power wagon, but you don't see me hating. Let's just admire peoples wishes and encourage and help them find a way to make it happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Regarding the 5th wheel not working on a 5.5' bed. There are now several 5th wheel manufacturer's that are building specific trailers for just that application. Open Range has one that is designed to work with a 5.5' bed that will allow 90 degree turns without a slider. The hitch weight is 1,200 lbs and the trailer weight is around 7,500 dry (it's about a 27' 5th wheel). With the new airbag systems out there and some conservative loading in the trailer, I am considering hooking this up to my 2010 Supercab.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is reviving dead threads but thus is sheer stupidity. I have to adhere to all of these safety guidelines because my truck is registered commercial. These guidelines were created because of idiots like those in this thread. My 45hp tractor pulled out a tri-axle dump truck 300ft up the road to get it to a safe place to fix it. Horsepower has absolutely nothing to do with towing capacity. In fact the best combination for capacity it's the lightest driveline with the heaviest components. Example, all things being equal a gas equipped truck can haul more weight then a diesel one because the diesel engine weighs more. The engine doesn't tow the trailer. The chassis does. A 17k trailer would almost certainly require a Class A because the truck towing it would be limited to 9k gvw and would require a 26k gcwr. No truck exist with those ratings. The first time a strong wind hits your huge camper, that raptor will be tires up in the ditch. I wouldn't haul any anything over 16k with out a dually. You people are endangering everyone's life's. I'd probably be alright having unprotected sex with a one night stand but I think I'd rather wear a condom

61 - 71 of 71 Posts