F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This all started when my buddy picked up a '19 Raptor last week. He let me take it for a spin the day after getting it home, as I've never driven one, Gen 1 or 2. I had a tuned and lifted '11 F150 that was a rocket ship for its time (400whp 500wtq on light metric 35s), and my current '20 Lariat with the gen 2 3.5 is miles ahead of the '11 in every single aspect.
I was blown away at how the Raptor drove. So much so that I am still convinced it may be tuned. It felt like the same all around improvement over my truck as my '20 was over my '11.
The transmission was more responsive to gear changes requested by the paddle shifters and even felt like it had way more line pressure than my truck in sport mode. Gear changes were solid, no slippery or rubbery feeling between the 1-3-5 shifts to be found.
Apparently there was a big update to the TCM in the raptors for '19, which his truck is, and I am just dumbfounded as to why Ford didn't extend the olive branch to us 150 folk. My truck would have paddle shifters installed yesterday if the trans had the same characteristics as that truck.
I apologize for the rambling, but I do have a point, or a question really. I understand the differences between the 3.5 HO and 3.5 well, but this does not seem like a power on tap thing. This feels like an entirely different transmission. Has anyone looked into trying to flash the Raptor TCM strategy onto these gen 2 3.5 10 speed trucks? Does the limited with the same power train drive similarly to the 19+ Raptor? Is a tuned truck going to respond more quickly to gear selections made at the console shifter?
If anyone has any insight I would welcome it. I did not think there was that much difference between 10 speeds in the 150 and Raptor.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I need the same info. I’m going to call 5 star tomorrow. I have a SCT tune. I have also been wondering the same thing. Stay tuned. Lol. No pun intended

1 - 2 of 2 Posts