F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
What about putting a carrier on the roof with the spare in it, and then some extra lights in the front of the carrier for the evening off road trips?
My friend did a rooftop spare rack and hated it. It made the truck really really top heavy and it was damn near impossible to load and unload it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know FRPP says that their tiregate is for mounting the tire inward but on the Tiregate website it says you can mount it inward or outward. I would love to see a FRPP one mounted the otherway around.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Well, I'm just not into this one at all. My spare is in a great place; it's under the truck. If it was somewhere else I supposed I'd consider this. This tail gate replacement opens up the bed, takes up space and makes me lose the rearview camera. It doesn't secure anything in the bed (not like there's much room in there with this thing and the bed is already pretty short).

I'll pass but I'll be happy to see all the pics of the Raptors with this thing on it. I like the fact that not everyone likes the same things - that's a good thing.

Above pics are from TireGate's Raptor Web page:
http://www.tiregate.com/ford_raptor_1.shtml

Link to PDF on TireGate Web site:
http://www.tiregate.com/uploads/files2/Tiregate_Hero_card_web.pdf

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like the look of the tire gate, I think it really makes the Raptor into a Baja Raptor. But I agree with only a 5.5ft bed your really basically signing off on having a bed by putting that on there. Plus, I love my backup camera as well.

If I lived out or near the sand like some of you do, that would be something I would consider so i'm not laying in the sand when it comes time to change a flat, but in my neck of the woods it falls more into show and less function.... so its a pass for me, my spare can stay where it is.

·
Banned
468 Posts
I didn't give the truck being top heavy much thought- that's a good point.
I have a 1980 Jeep CJ-7 RockCrawler with a custom rollcage sitting on 38.5 inch Super Swampers.
The rollcage used to have a tire mount on top. While the spare looks awesome up there, You only need to try a serious suspension challenge once with a massive and heavy 38.5" bogger up top to realize that you're begging to flip.

The tire and rim were heavy enough to significantly alter the center of gravity. Based on my experience, I would not recommend mounting a heavy spare on the roof of any vehicle that you intend to climb or have some fun in the turns with.

I cut the mount off the rollcage and now my big spare bogger just sits in the garage where it belongs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts