Recommendations For Tonneau Cover For 2018 Raptor

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor General Discussion' started by DarienJim, Jan 8, 2018.

1. DarienJim

DarienJim New Member

Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    I am looking for help and recommendations for a new tonneau cover for my newly purchased Raptor. I am leaning towards the Retrax PowerPRO MX Tonneau cover as I like the automatic retraction and it appears to get good reviews. Retrax PowerTrax Pro Tonneau Cover

I am a little concerned with the room it takes up in the bed at the head of the cover but it does not look like it takes up too much.

Any one have one and can also comment on the pros and cons?

Is there anything else I should also look at. I am not too much a fan on the BAKFlip Rolling tonneau (although a colleague of mine loves his) as I don't like how it looks when it rolled up but would note on the positive side that it does not take up bed room. Revolver X4 Hard Rolling Tonneau Covers Overview

I do see they have a retractable cover but it is not powered and it only has a 2 year warranty: RollBAK Tonneau Cover Overview

2. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member Military

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    A caveat here: Don't have a rollup cover of any make. We've seen soft covers stretched over the bed but still flapping in the wind on the freeway; afraid they'd blow away. We'd seen some rollups consume an abnormal amount of space at the front of the bed. All that being said...

In December we purchased a BAKFlip MX4 and am quite happy with it. It installs in about 30 minutes; didn't time it but it wasn't long and requires minimal tools. We went on a 1500 mile round trip on freeways and the bed was loaded to the gills. Didn't worry about things at rest or refueling stops. I'd seen it reviewed in a magazine article last summer. They gave it high marks.

I haven't purchased it yet but they offer a tool/cross box that somehow hangs under the cover offering more storage. I haven't seen that anywhere; just in pictures on their website.

I didn't install the drain tubes for my MX4. I wanted to see if they were necessary so hoped for rain. At our destination in CA we had high humidity so dew was on the vehicle and cover early in the evening but no leaks. We had a day of rain here in AZ and no significant leaks. Just opened it to check and think it might have been more condensation on the inside of the cover. The items inside were dry. Unless we have weather coming thru our humidity rarely exceeds 30% so dew and leaks aren't an issue. Still debating the need for the channel drain tubes.

Before the purchase I spoke to a guy with a regular Ford truck that had a Leer fold up cover; I don't remember the model number. The cost was about the same as my BAKFlip but he had someone install his Leer. He really liked his cover as well. As I understood it, Leer didn't offer any drain tubes with their model and the guy said it didn't leak so far as he knew. Like the BAKFlip MX4, it folded up against the back window so you are reliant upon using your side mirrors if you have a large item in the bed.

I see you are in CT, have a friend in Windsor Locks, so I suspect you get more wet weather than we do. I'd suggest reviewing the websites of the model(s) you are considering and checking their customer reviews and FAQs. You might find a couple that pertain to your specific location or application needs and make your purchase based on that. BAKFlip had an install video specifically for a Ford truck, wasn't a raptor though, so it helped a lot plus you can see what it might look like.

Hope this helps,
    Larry

3. DarienJim

DarienJim New Member

Vehicle?:
    2018 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Thanks LZinAZ but I have decided to go with this (but not in glossy black, but in matt black.) I am going to order this week and then find someone in CT to install for me:

Retrax PowerTrax Pro Tonneau Cover

4. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member Military

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Hope it works out for you! Just reviewed the instructions at the link you sent. Odd they don't have anything specifically for a Ford but I couldn't look at the video; some kind of error. Maybe there's nothing special needed for the Ford installs but it looks a little more complicated than the BAKFlip model; it doesn't have anything electric though. I like the light inside the cavity on the Retrax. It can get pretty dark inside unless there it is at least partially opened.

5. Helimaster

Helimaster New Member

Vehicle?:
    2011Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Congrats on your purchase! I checked the Rollnlock A-series retractable cover the other day on Ram1500 and was impressed with how well it was put together. It opens with a pull strap though but it doesn't take much space. I think it wouldn't be a problem to unscrew it whenever you need to use the full bed length on a rare ocasion.