River Crossing W/ 2017 Raptor

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor General Discussion' started by Erickk, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Erickk

Erickk New Member

Vehicle?:
    2017 ford raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    I have a 2017 Raptor, that went thru river w/ water over console. I am now rehabilitating it.
    So I need an OBD2 scanner that will help now and in future, also go to forscan, any ideas?

2. rock1966

rock1966 Member Military

Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Terrain
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Great question, because my old boss had a truck that fell thru the ice and it was totaled. I know cars and trucks are fixed after flood damage but no clue what it takes. Sorry

RAPTOR2 likes this.
  3. guardrail

guardrail Member

Vehicle?:
    2011 Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I used to rebuild flood cars, First thing is take out the seats, carpeting and insulation under the carpeting, then the door panels. Throw out the insulation because it will always stink. You can pressure wash the carpet, then dry it with a shop vac and lay it out in the sun to completely dry. I would put a dehumidifier in the truck, close all the doors and windows and let it run for a day or so. After that, any switches or electronics that got wet, I would take apart and clean with contact cleaner and a brush. Takes a lot of time.

4. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member Military

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Erickk,
    Kind of struggling with a response to your question regarding an OBD 2 scanner. A lot of answers and none of them might be what you want to hear. I was an automotive technician for a number of years and can tell you there are about as many scanners available as there were words in your posting. A lot depends upon what you want it to do. To simply read codes you can go to Amazon.com and search for OBD 2 code readers; read some of the reviews until you find one you like and does what you want it to do. You may have a local Harbor Freight store that has a couple options and they might suffice. Might be easier to return it if it doesn't do what you want.

If you want to add various tunes to your Raptor there are many options listed in this forum. Using the Search function here should reveal the models and opinions of the users. I don't know if they read codes though. I've looked around but don't have the bucks to play around with too many upgrades to my '14 SCREW just now.

However, based on my past experience you might need a high-end scanner such as offered by Snap-On, OTC, and others. It depends on what you need it to do. I can remember a sensor, in the A/C circuit I think, that had the resistance just a few Ohms off from the specs so the system didn't work until that was replaced. That vehicle wasn't flooded but it illustrates the kind of problems you may run into. The high-end models have graphing capabilities that are key to diagnosing whether a device is working properly. Otherwise you may be replacing a device based on guessing and that can get real expensive.

Another thought is just because a sensor throws a code doesn't mean it has failed. I can't think of any good examples but will try this one: an O2 sensor reads the exhaust stream is rich. You replace the O2 sensor but it still throws a rich code. Something is making the vehicle run rich by pumping too much unburned gas into the exhaust. The O2 sensor is just telling you to find the rich problem and it will stop throwing a code. This paragraph is to tell you that you might need some experience to determine what is really going on. My son-in-law doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to use and wanted to get a scanner to buy-fix-sell cars that had a check engine light. He changed his mind.

In closing, I don't mean to cast aspersions on your abilities but you don't specify what you want to do or your skill level. I purchased an '80 Bronco someone had put in deep water; don't really know the details but I found a lot of sand on the intake manifold and under the carpet. After I did some repairs it seemed to always have a musty smell and I'd done a lot of what Guardrail suggests above. I suspect you've checked with your insurance company; not my business but do they have anything for you? If they total it you could look around for a new or used one to purchase. Your rates might be high for a year or so but you are looking at a lot of work.

Sorry I don't have anything good to tell you and best wishes on your project,
    LZinAZ

5. Erickk

Erickk New Member

Vehicle?:
    2017 ford raptor
    Color?:
    Magnetic
    Engine:
    GEN2 3.5L-TT H/O
    Well
    this is a salvage vehicle, so
    This is a savage vehicle. First thing dealer told me is to replace BCM then use scan tool to program key fob to the body control module BCM so computer can access all other Other Modules. So I am stuck, must find a scann tool that will gain access and make changes now and in future. I have called and talked to scan tool companies and ford to find a good one with out spending 4,000$ want to find one in about 1,000$ range if possible. If anyone has a suggestion, please me know, or who should I ask?
    I am trying to as much as possible be for taking to ford. THANK You For Any ideas. Erik Anderson