F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Raptor is a year old and I had a couple minor warranty issues I wanted the dealership to address. The biggest being a squeak coming from what I thought was the leaf springs. From a dead stop when I accelerate I could hear a double squeak or chirping sound.

Picked the truck up last evening and the service manager said they used their listening devices and determined the noise was coming from the shocks. This is what he handed me and explained they cannot do anything about this "normal condition."

Special Service Message

SVT RAPTOR - REAR SHOCK ABSORBER NOISE OVER BUMPS
2010 F-150 SVT RAPTOR
VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH UNIQUE HIGH-PERFORMANCE FOX SHOCK ABSORBERS DESIGNED FOR SEVERE OFF-ROAD USE. SOME CUSTOMERS MAY BE CONCERNED WITH BOOM OR CLUNK NOISES FROM THE REAR SHOCK ABSORBERS MOST OFTEN HEARD OVER SMALL, SHARP BUMPS IN THE ROAD SUCH AS FROST HEAVES OR EXPANSION JOINTS. THIS IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC ORIGINATING FROM THE HYDRAULIC MOTION OF THE FLUID AND INHERENT TO THE UNIQUE DESIGN OF THE SHOCK ABSORBERS. IT IS NOT CAUSED BY CONTACT OF ANY SUSPENSION COMPONENTS, NOR WILL THIS CONDITION HAVE ANY DETRIMENTAL EFFECT ON THE LIFE OF THE SHOCK ABSORBERS OR SUSPENSION. DO NOT ATTEMPT SERVICE TO CORRECT THIS NORMAL CONDITION.

Really, normal? I know this issue has been addressed already on the forum as I've read and re-read posts . The service manager said "I know this is not what you wanted to hear." Well, that's an understatement.

Thinking the dealership's diagnosis was surely wrong, I gave the leaf springs a good coating of spray lithium grease. Squeak is still there.

I spoke to another dealership just to get their opinion and was told that if Ford has already addressed my issue with a SSM saying the shock noise is normal, then that's that. It doesn't matter where I take it because a warranty claim will be denied.

I have really enjoyed my Raptor but am bummed because as a daily driver, I'm going to hear the stupid chirp from here on out. Although my offroad experience has been very minimal I'm amazed at the Raptor's performance and capability.

I would prefer to enjoy the performance and capability without the shocks squeaking. Thanks for reading my rantings.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2010 Raptor is a year old and I had a couple minor warranty issues I wanted the dealership to address. The biggest being a squeak coming from what I thought was the leaf springs. From a dead stop when I accelerate I could hear a double squeak or chirping sound.

Picked the truck up last evening and the service manager said they used their listening devices and determined the noise was coming from the shocks. This is what he handed me and explained they cannot do anything about this "normal condition."

Special Service Message

SVT RAPTOR - REAR SHOCK ABSORBER NOISE OVER BUMPS
2010 F-150 SVT RAPTOR
VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH UNIQUE HIGH-PERFORMANCE FOX SHOCK ABSORBERS DESIGNED FOR SEVERE OFF-ROAD USE. SOME CUSTOMERS MAY BE CONCERNED WITH BOOM OR CLUNK NOISES FROM THE REAR SHOCK ABSORBERS MOST OFTEN HEARD OVER SMALL, SHARP BUMPS IN THE ROAD SUCH AS FROST HEAVES OR EXPANSION JOINTS. THIS IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC ORIGINATING FROM THE HYDRAULIC MOTION OF THE FLUID AND INHERENT TO THE UNIQUE DESIGN OF THE SHOCK ABSORBERS. IT IS NOT CAUSED BY CONTACT OF ANY SUSPENSION COMPONENTS, NOR WILL THIS CONDITION HAVE ANY DETRIMENTAL EFFECT ON THE LIFE OF THE SHOCK ABSORBERS OR SUSPENSION. DO NOT ATTEMPT SERVICE TO CORRECT THIS NORMAL CONDITION.

Really, normal? I know this issue has been addressed already on the forum as I've read and re-read posts . The service manager said "I know this is not what you wanted to hear." Well, that's an understatement.

Thinking the dealership's diagnosis was surely wrong, I gave the leaf springs a good coating of spray lithium grease. Squeak is still there.

I spoke to another dealership just to get their opinion and was told that if Ford has already addressed my issue with a SSM saying the shock noise is normal, then that's that. It doesn't matter where I take it because a warranty claim will be denied.

I have really enjoyed my Raptor but am bummed because as a daily driver, I'm going to hear the stupid chirp from here on out. Although my offroad experience has been very minimal I'm amazed at the Raptor's performance and capability.

I would prefer to enjoy the performance and capability without the shocks squeaking. Thanks for reading my rantings.....

wow thats funny cuz i just got my truck from the dealer today complaining about a clunk from the shocks, and they gave me the exact same SSM. I hear the shocks clunk when i back up in the drive way or driving slowly on minor bumps or just turning left or right. Its very annoying. Its starting to get louder and louder. I feel your pain cuz i use to have a 4runner and i striped the old suspension out and added icon's front and rear shocks. No noise at all.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
My shocks started to squeak a couple months ago,but I don't really care, nobody but me seems to hear it. My girlfriend says I'm just "anul" about stuff with my Raptor. She might be right :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have side by sides as well. One is a Can Am commander and the other is a Polaris Rzr. Both have Fox shocks and sometimes they make those noises.

It comes from getting dirt in the ends where they bolt up. On my machines I spray them down with a silicone lube after every ride. In this case you dont have to do it every time you drive the truck but I would clean them out good and lube them after every time you go offroad. Of your riding onroad mostly I would just keep them clean. They probably wont make racket.
These shocks are super easy to take off. If you want you can take it off and put grease in the ends. That will last a good while. It just depends on if your offroading or not. If your not offroading then it may never be an issue. If you do offroad alot then you may have to grease the ends once every 6 to 8 months or so.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Welcome to the club. Get ready for ALL suspensions noises to be blamed on the the shocks. Not impressed with ford technitians or customer service.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Special Service Message

SVT RAPTOR - REAR
SHOCK ABSORBER NOISE OVER BUMPS
2010 F-150 SVT RAPTOR

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 2010 raptor for a few good months now. I take it off road on a regular basis, definitely isn't my pavement princess. I use her as she has been built. My shocks chirp after driving on a dry dirt road. After I wash them down real well or drive and hydroplane on the freeway, it stops till I hit a dry dirt road again. It is annoying but if you wash them down real well in a car wash, it'll go away. Also, the grease thing I never thought of, I should do that. I don't know how to grease my shocks though. But yeah, It's annoying but nothing serious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts