F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this Gen 1 because well, it’s a Gen 1. I do plan to use it as my daily driver which includes pulling an Everglades 253cc which, I estimate, weighs right at 7500#’s loaded on the trailer.

So far, limited towing around town. Still have yet to adjust the trailer break controller. Plan to weigh the rig and set up the controller in the am after I fill with fuel.

Here are a couple pics - some sag in the back. I’ll measure tomorrow as well. The springs definitely show the weight in their tension. Certainly feels like some upgraded springs would be a good investment.

Anywho - to oorow I’ll adjust weigh, road and highway test and then launch the boat (sun, drink beer, and wink at the wife). Once I have the full skinny I plan to make a plan for my total build. Including what, when, who and how much.

Look forward to input along the way. Here’s some initial (total stock) pics of the rig.

92AA01C7-C1E9-49FF-8723-EFFA2CF4FF02.jpeg
217377E1-D718-4635-AF0C-300EDB65C82E.jpeg
7A023F53-8589-4494-91D3-08529F4F6E08.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So here’s the math. After weighing the Raptor is 7,520#’s the Everglades 253cc w/ full supplies (Fuel, groceries, gear) came in almost exactly the weight of the Raptor. The Everglades alone was 7,560.
Total rig weight was 15,080#.

My previous tow vehicle was a GMC 2500HD Denali. It obviously could tow a mountain. The Raptor obviously feels softer and sluggish. Because it’s a boat it has hydraulic brakes that operate separately from the Raptors trailer brake controller. I never felt however that the truck was overloaded or over matched. i kept the tow/haul mode running and was really impressed by how that helpEd manage gear shifts better. (Can only imagine what a CAI,exhaust, and 5 Star Tune would do.)

I failed to measure the front fender raise created by rear sag. My estimate is the Raptor is 3” lower in the rear with the max load. The rear sags below level but not by much (see earlier post and pictures). That said I would rate the rear sag as my primary concern. The stock springs seem to be taxed too hard and while the ride was fine at highway speeds and around town, an inspection of the rear suspension show significant pressure on the springs at rest. In the event of significant road event (Hump, bump, or pothole) pressure from these springs can transfer to the truck frame via bump stops. I feel like I proved springs that are progressively stronger along with improved bump stops would solve my sag issue and shore up the rear suspension. My goal would be to keep as much of the Raptors travel to maintain character and ride.

I still have stock brakes and to my knowledge stock pads. The truck has 40k miles and all parts seem to be working well. The Origiinal tires were still on the truck so I replace the tires with Nito Grappler 2 35”. The brakes were strange at first - very, very firm when stopping either quickly or normally. After several miles in traffic the brakes softened and, while still struggling somewhat to stop the load, did give you confidence that they were up to the task.

Appreciate any comments on rear suspension and brakes. Am I right to focus on suspension first or should I upgrade the exhaust and CAI before any suspension work?

Here are puctures of the weigh record:

·
Registered
5 Posts
So here’s the math. After weighing the Raptor is 7,520#’s the Everglades 253cc w/ full supplies (Fuel, groceries, gear) came in almost exactly the weight of the Raptor. The Everglades alone was 7,560.
Total rig weight was 15,080#.

My previous tow vehicle was a GMC 2500HD Denali. It obviously could tow a mountain. The Raptor obviously feels softer and sluggish. Because it’s a boat it has hydraulic brakes that operate separately from the Raptors trailer brake controller. I never felt however that the truck was overloaded or over matched. i kept the tow/haul mode running and was really impressed by how that helpEd manage gear shifts better. (Can only imagine what a CAI,exhaust, and 5 Star Tune would do.)

I failed to measure the front fender raise created by rear sag. My estimate is the Raptor is 3” lower in the rear with the max load. The rear sags below level but not by much (see earlier post and pictures). That said I would rate the rear sag as my primary concern. The stock springs seem to be taxed too hard and while the ride was fine at highway speeds and around town, an inspection of the rear suspension show significant pressure on the springs at rest. In the event of significant road event (Hump, bump, or pothole) pressure from these springs can transfer to the truck frame via bump stops. I feel like I proved springs that are progressively stronger along with improved bump stops would solve my sag issue and shore up the rear suspension. My goal would be to keep as much of the Raptors travel to maintain character and ride.

I still have stock brakes and to my knowledge stock pads. The truck has 40k miles and all parts seem to be working well. The Origiinal tires were still on the truck so I replace the tires with Nito Grappler 2 35”. The brakes were strange at first - very, very firm when stopping either quickly or normally. After several miles in traffic the brakes softened and, while still struggling somewhat to stop the load, did give you confidence that they were up to the task.

Appreciate any comments on rear suspension and brakes. Am I right to focus on suspension first or should I upgrade the exhaust and CAI before any suspension work?

Here are puctures of the weigh record:

View attachment 29069
I tow a tritoon and a trailer with 3 or 4 atvs. I installed airbags on the back of my 2010 and got rid of the sag. Hauls like a boss

1 - 3 of 3 Posts