F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For no load street use is everyone running 44 lbs like the door jam says or has someone figured out something better in terms of ride quality, tire wear, gas mileage ? Again this is for an empty bed on the street use . Yea I know off road is different .

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm running 50 psi (cold) as per whats on the tire. I just hit 27,012 miles and rotate evey 3,000. The tires are wearing pretty evan.:D

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm in the woods alot with mine, potted rutty roads and shallow mud. Mine are filled to 45 psi.
Reddog...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've been running at 42lbs. Dont know why, it just feels better then 44psi.

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
Theres no need to run anything different then what is recommended on the door, not the tire, for street use.

Ford spends millions in R&D, Id say its safe to trust them.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Theres no need to run anything different then what is recommended on the door, not the tire, for street use.

Good point on trusting Ford R&D. But in the same sense BFG spends probly the same. I was always told to go by what was on the tire. Not saying what is on the door is wrong. But do you think you get better gas mileage with more or less air pressure? I have dropped my air pressure when mudding and off road for a better tracking. This what I love about this forum I still can learn a lot from other posters. Old dogs can be taught new tricks.LOL

·
Registered
387 Posts
Good point on trusting Ford R&D. But in the same sense BFG spends probly the same. I was always told to go by what was on the tire. Not saying what is on the door is wrong. But do you think you get better gas mileage with more or less air pressure? I have dropped my air pressure when mudding and off road for a better tracking. This what I love about this forum I still can learn a lot from other posters. Old dogs can be taught new tricks.LOL
Woof! Tire pressure ratings are generic since they will fit more than one model truck.

Your Raptor pressure ratings are for your truck with those tires on the road.

More pressure = better mileage because of lower rolling resistance. Might not be as safe though.:str:

·
Registered
955 Posts
Woof! Tire pressure ratings are generic since they will fit more than one model truck.

More pressure = better mileage because of lower rolling resistance. Might not be as safe though.:str:
Thanks for the info:smileup:.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Totally correct . That same tire could be on a 3200 lb Jeep or a 6000 lb Raptor . The door jam is the right one .

·
Banned
1,122 Posts

Yeah, you always go by the door because it takes into consideration the weight and payload of the vehicle. Took me a while to believe that one myself, I was always a - go by the tire guy. your definitely right about dropping it for mudding, you will increase contact area and improve traction. To bad we dont have the remote fill system like the hummers.

- and going with a higher pressure may get a little better gas mileage but you will certainly affect the wear pattern of the tires in a negative way.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah, you always go by the door because it takes into consideration the weight and payload of the vehicle. Took me a while to believe that one myself, I was always a - go by the tire guy. your definitely right about dropping it for mudding, you will increase contact area and improve traction. To bad we dont have the remote fill system like the hummers.

- and going with a higher pressure may get a little better gas mileage but you will certainly affect the wear pattern of the tires in a negative way.
I agree, always gone by the door due to weight of vehicle.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thanks for some great info

Thank's guys. Like I said before old dogs can learn new things. I just readjusted my air pressure to 44 psi.:smileup: :rep:

·
Registered
36 Posts
the truth is that they must post psi for how the truck CAN be used which means higher pressures than necessary when not used for towing or carrying load. I have reduced the rears to 35 psi which has made a huge difference in ride quality, trouble is need to defeat tire sensor warning every time get in vehicle. Worth it though based on ride. Think about how little load on the rear tires and to run 44 psi plus, may as well be solid!

·
Registered
174 Posts
the truth is that they must post psi for how the truck CAN be used which means higher pressures than necessary when not used for towing or carrying load. I have reduced the rears to 35 psi which has made a huge difference in ride quality, trouble is need to defeat tire sensor warning every time get in vehicle. Worth it though based on ride. Think about how little load on the rear tires and to run 44 psi plus, may as well be solid!
A variety of considerations go into the factory settings for psi, certainly load is an important one, but handling & control is a huge consideration. Normal driving no doubt it rides a bit better with 35 psi in the rear, but all platforms are also looked at in accident avoidance situations which a 10 psi difference between front & rear can be quickly become the difference between surving some fool pulling out in front of you when you least expect or a visit to the body shop or worse. From a control stand point you'd likely be safer @ 35 psi in all 4 tires. It will just meet minimum load needs based on that alone, it will also cost you fuel economy. Not what I would do unless I was getting off the pavement, then it depends on the surface conditions & the speed I'm going to be running.
LT315/70R17 load capacities
50 psi=3195lbs.
45 psi=2915lbs.
40 psi=2685lbs.
35 psi=2535lbs

·
Registered
877 Posts
HAHA I haven't even check the PSI.... but thats probably due to getting some Nitto Mud grapplers next weekend!!! :naughty:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts