F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am new and have not looked deeply into this but is this block the same as in the GT500? If so I have a stock GT500 supercharger that with an intercooler would be an interesting possibility. Wonder if it would fit?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
This is my first Ford. What I can tell you is that Roush nor Ford Performance make a supercharger for the 09-10 F150s yet. I don't know if it is the block or the tuning that is holding them up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Doe any one know the weight difference between the 6.2 and 5.4?

The 5.4 has a lot of mods for the GT500 already out but I don't expect they just bolt on to this as that is supercharged from the factory etc.

Also any info on the guts? Forged rods, pistons etc? in the 5.4 vs. the 6.2? I expect both can gain a good amount of power with some pretty simple stuff like a less restrictive exhaust, intake and tune. Normally going to a high flow cat helps a lot on Ford's too. I wish they had an dual exhaust ou the reat integrated like the Dodge - it looks good to me and sounds good but clearly at least axel backs are needed to improve the sound. The aftermarket will boom I am sure for these as all svt creations. SVT Rocks by the way.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Doe any one know the weight difference between the 6.2 and 5.4?

The 5.4 has a lot of mods for the GT500 already out but I don't expect they just bolt on to this as that is supercharged from the factory etc.

Also any info on the guts? Forged rods, pistons etc? in the 5.4 vs. the 6.2? I expect both can gain a good amount of power with some pretty simple stuff like a less restrictive exhaust, intake and tune. Normally going to a high flow cat helps a lot on Ford's too. I wish they had an dual exhaust ou the reat integrated like the Dodge - it looks good to me and sounds good but clearly at least axel backs are needed to improve the sound. The aftermarket will boom I am sure for these as all svt creations. SVT Rocks by the way.
The 5.4 in the F-150 doesn't really share too much with the GT500. The main issue with modding the Raptor isn't really the engine itself....because it's the same as the normal F-150.....the challenge lyes in the tuning, due to the off-road mode and trans parameters. Here's an article on the 6.2 though, pretty much all we know for now........
[url]http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-blog/categories/fordbossengine/[/URL]

·
Registered
45 Posts
great link - thanks for that. So we know wa can get that 6.2 up to 500hp pretty safely if it manager to run the Baja by being calibrated (which I may wrongly assume just means tuned and maybe an intake). From the look of this engine it would be a great place for an aftermarket to drop an intecooler and S/C option on top and if the stroke is shorter the rods may be able to handle it too with cracking anything open. I doubt I'll be the test mule on that one though :)

I would say getting this to 500HP would be pretty sweet - throw in the 4.10 gearing and it shoud be able to make to the speed limit OK! I'll have to call into the guys tha I get GT500 stuff from and see if they will be able to get Raptor stuff. They do a lot of Ford Racing parts so I am sure we can get that there.

Good times coming or sure!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just may have found an answer. Per the "Smoking Tire":

the 6 speed introduced in 2009 really helps a lot with the performance, the 4 speed wasn't enough gearing. The F150 isn't designed to be a hot rod, and the Raptor can easily get to its 100mph limiter and stay there in 4th through 6th gears on pavement or sand.

And FYI, you can swap the heads and drop the blower on there directly off the GT500 and make 540hp all day :)

That would be interesting for sure but the heads are from the Ford GT and not cheap and you still need the intercooler. That said I have the blower with a 2.6" pulley on it sitting in the garage - Now about the engine internals.....

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Given that this is the first year for the Raptor I really want to maintain my bumper-to-bumper warranty. Since my Ford dealer is an authorized Roush dealer, if they install the Roush supercharger I still maintain that warranty. I've already got a round about price of under $6000 for the charger and install. This seems well worth it to me.

I prefer not to break into the internals of the engine also, at least not yet.

I have to agree with SOCOMech and believe it is due to the tuning more than the engine itself.

My ears are open to any information regarding the Roush supercharger since the Ford Racing/Performance charger only offers a 12mo./1yr warranty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would think if the roush charger would be covered then so would a ford racing TVS set up right :) But then if the TVS is build for th GT500 you still need the rest of the stuff.

I am going to hold out for the 6.2 but the point is the 5.4 is a good block and has a lot of potential.....How fast is an off road truck anyway? I would get a tune and remove the speed limiter for sure though. I bet you pick up 50HP from a good tune.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Given that this is the first year for the Raptor I really want to maintain my bumper-to-bumper warranty. Since my Ford dealer is an authorized Roush dealer, if they install the Roush supercharger I still maintain that warranty. I've already got a round about price of under $6000 for the charger and install. This seems well worth it to me.

I prefer not to break into the internals of the engine also, at least not yet.

I have to agree with SOCOMech and believe it is due to the tuning more than the engine itself.

My ears are open to any information regarding the Roush supercharger since the Ford Racing/Performance charger only offers a 12mo./1yr warranty.
I got about the same price when I inquired about having a SC installed on my 04 F150. $6200. Glad I didnt spend the money since I traded it on my Raptor

·
Banned
22 Posts
I am new and have not looked deeply into this but is this block the same as in the GT500? If so I have a stock GT500 supercharger that with an intercooler would be an interesting possibility. Wonder if it would fit?
No. The Raptor is a 3v the GT500 is a 4v.
And FYI, you can swap the heads and drop the blower on there directly off the GT500 and make 540hp all day :)

That would be interesting for sure but the heads are from the Ford GT and not cheap and you still need the intercooler. That said I have the blower with a 2.6" pulley on it sitting in the garage - Now about the engine internals.....
The castings for the 3v block and 2v/4v block are completely different. The oil and coolant passages don't line up. GT 500/FGT/Cobra R heads are all R-castings heads. The GT500 heads are slightly different in that the last bolt for the headers has a wider spacing then the FGT/Cobra R head.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Guys (and gals) - there's already an answer and it's a good one...

Whipple-charger! A Whipple Supercharger

from their Web site:

TECHNOLOGY MEETS INNOVATION

Whipple Superchargers have paved the way for forced induction applications over the years and truly set the industry standard when it comes to power, reliability and overall customer satisfaction. Whether your looking for a daily driver that needs a little more punch, towing heavy loads or craving a tire-frying, rubber shredding street machine, the Whipple Supercharger-Ford Racing SC package delivers like no other SC system today. Power from tip in to redline, the new Whipple SC system makes over 50% power across the entire rpm range while maintaining industry leading drive-ability.

The system boast a massive aluminum air-to-water intercooler designed and built by Fluidyne that mounts inside the cast aluminum long runner Whipple intake manifold that’s topped off with the W140ax Whipple Charger, the same technology that’s used on the Ford GT supercar. With 8psi of boost being forced through the intercooler, the stock engine produces nearly 475HP to the flywheel and 394 RWHP!

With years of OEM and racing experience, Whipple and Ford engineers have developed a unique PCM calibration that reconfigures all the necessary engine functions including fuel, spark, knock detection, torque management, transmission control and electronic throttle control.

Systems come complete with a high-flow cold-air intake system, aluminum intake manifold and air-to-water intercooler, Ford Racing PCM reflash tool, Ford Racing 0 range spark plugs, air-bypass system and all the necessary hardware for a simple installation.

EXCLUSIVE FEATURES:
Instant boost, zero lag time for incredible throttle response
Revolutionary W140ax Whipple twin-screw supercharger
Massive aluminum intercooler, heat exchanger and reservoir system
Twin screw supercharger is the most efficient SC on the market
Exclusive cold air intake system with high flow filter
Ford Racing PCM flash tool for industry leading reliability and operation
Self contained oil system, no tapping oil pan
Simple “do-it-yourself” installation

Source: http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1203

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Guys (and gals) - there's already an answer and it's a good one...

Whipple-charger! A Whipple Supercharger

from their Web site:

TECHNOLOGY MEETS INNOVATION

Whipple Superchargers have paved the way for forced induction applications over the years and truly set the industry standard when it comes to power, reliability and overall customer satisfaction. Whether your looking for a daily driver that needs a little more punch, towing heavy loads or craving a tire-frying, rubber shredding street machine, the Whipple Supercharger-Ford Racing SC package delivers like no other SC system today. Power from tip in to redline, the new Whipple SC system makes over 50% power across the entire rpm range while maintaining industry leading drive-ability.

The system boast a massive aluminum air-to-water intercooler designed and built by Fluidyne that mounts inside the cast aluminum long runner Whipple intake manifold that’s topped off with the W140ax Whipple Charger, the same technology that’s used on the Ford GT supercar. With 8psi of boost being forced through the intercooler, the stock engine produces nearly 475HP to the flywheel and 394 RWHP!

With years of OEM and racing experience, Whipple and Ford engineers have developed a unique PCM calibration that reconfigures all the necessary engine functions including fuel, spark, knock detection, torque management, transmission control and electronic throttle control.

Systems come complete with a high-flow cold-air intake system, aluminum intake manifold and air-to-water intercooler, Ford Racing PCM reflash tool, Ford Racing 0 range spark plugs, air-bypass system and all the necessary hardware for a simple installation.

EXCLUSIVE FEATURES:
Instant boost, zero lag time for incredible throttle response
Revolutionary W140ax Whipple twin-screw supercharger
Massive aluminum intercooler, heat exchanger and reservoir system
Twin screw supercharger is the most efficient SC on the market
Exclusive cold air intake system with high flow filter
Ford Racing PCM flash tool for industry leading reliability and operation
Self contained oil system, no tapping oil pan
Simple “do-it-yourself” installation

Source: http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1203
If you notice, the part fits up to 2008. That's the same as Roush. Apparently something has changed between 2008 and 2009-10.

I have sad news...Roush says they have no intention of making a S/C for the 2009-2010 5.4L F150 and more specifically the Raptor 5.4L.

I am still waiting on Saleen and JDM to respond to my request for more information. I'll probably have to call them.

So far it looks like I am shut down on my S/C mod that I wanted at the beginning of the year...........for my 5.4L.

·
Registered
75 Posts
DAMN YOU ROUSH!!!! So is Roush stating they are not planning on offering a 2009-2010 because Whipple has no plans of constructing one? Have you heard from Wipple yet?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
DAMN YOU ROUSH!!!! So is Roush stating they are not planning on offering a 2009-2010 because Whipple has no plans of constructing one? Have you heard from Wipple yet?
Roush made clear that they have "no intentions" on building a S/C for the 2009-10 F150 5.4L and did not give a reason. Of course this is contrary to what I was previously told which was they are working on it and the S/C should be available at the beginning of the year. Someone just needs to get their story straight. Maybe I'll call them back and ask to speak to Jack himself...ya right.

I haven't heard from anyone else yet, Whipple included. I will call them all on Monday if I do not receive a response by then.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have just received the following information from JDM Engineering [url]http://www.teamjdm.com/index.php[/URL]

"We do offer a kit and its about 2 weeks away from being ready for sale to the public. It includes the Saleen series VI supercharger and comes with all components necessary and a custom tune to run your Raptor. So you only need installation time to get the job done! The kit will bring you to 380 RWHP approximatley on only 7-8 psi boost. I attached some pictures above, retail price of the kit will be $6999 and a special introductory price of $6500. If you care to share this on Raptorforumz Ill get a group buy going and see what the best price we can offer for a few kits if there are some more guys who want this!
JimIII"

Thought I would pass it on to those who may be interested.

·
Registered
75 Posts
SWEETNESS!!! I wonder if their tune package will remove the specialty tunes (Hill Descent Control) like the one they did for the guy in Dubai?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts