F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't know much about what SVT has done in the past, all I know is that they created the Raptor and the Lightning. I know they must have had to mod the Lightning because it is as much of a street performer as the Raptor is to offroad performance, or so I would think. Making the Lightning without modding the engine to enhance its street performance would be pointless because then it would be just like any other truck, whereas the Raptor's engine doesn't need much modification because the engine isn't what makes the truck so great at offroading, it is the suspension, the wider body, the tires, etc.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't know much about what SVT has done in the past, all I know is that they created the Raptor and the Lightning. I know they must have had to mod the Lightning because it is as much of a street performer as the Raptor is to offroad performance, or so I would think. Making the Lightning without modding the engine to enhance its street performance would be pointless because then it would be just like any other truck, whereas the Raptor's engine doesn't need much modification because the engine isn't what makes the truck so great at offroading, it is the suspension, the wider body, the tires, etc.
Amen to that! The Raptor is all about suspension performance. The money and design all went into the suspension and off-road mode system(s). Take a standard F-150 and see what it would take out of your wallet to match this trucks capability for what it was designed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Amen to that! The Raptor is all about suspension performance. The money and design all went into the suspension and off-road mode system(s). Take a standard F-150 and see what it would take out of your wallet to match this trucks capability for what it was designed.
I agree if they put a huge amount of performance extras into the engine the truck would be way to expensive. Im sure when the 6.2 comes out that should be sufficient enough but im sure there will still be people complaining it will never end. This truck is not a quarter mile beast its a off road machine why does this have to be brought up over and over again??

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah I've heard it all too. Here is what I respond with:

The Raptor is not a speed deamon on dry flat pavement and would lose a race to almost any performance vehicle.

I challenge anyone to take thier stock vehicle (mustangs, vipers, lightings etc) and try to beat it in any condition other than dry flat pavement (bumpy, sandy, wet, muddy, snowy, icy, gravely, or just plain dirt surface) and just try to beat it - unless there is driver error or lack of experience the Raptor would win every time. It's as simple as that to me.

Different vehicle are made with a different purpose. Research before you buy!

I also think that they didn't do engine mods to keep the price down and it's not really necessary to the off roading experience.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
STICKY!!!!!!!

Also, you gotta remember....the SVT Focus and Contour weren't exactly packing big power upgrades either. I think the Lightning and Cobras got everyones hopes up that anything with SVT on it is all about monster hp. Ford went a different direction with the Raptor and showed that it's not always about that. They focused their attention on the area most important for the Raptor's purpose. And it's not all THAT bad in the power dept., I mean...it is going to have 400hp soon.........for those that can wait for it anyway.

·
Registered
802 Posts
300 horsepower is not enough for the Raptor and 400 is adequate. I mean you can get GMC pickups with 403 horsepower 6.2's. This truck should have at least 450 horsepower.

·
Registered
187 Posts
300 horsepower is not enough for the Raptor and 400 is adequate. I mean you can get GMC pickups with 403 horsepower 6.2's. This truck should have at least 450 horsepower.

WHY??? My Raptor is fine with its power. I'm light on the pedal as it is and in the rain its hard not to spin the tires from a stop. And why would you want to spin these tires anyway, they are not Drag Radials but heavy lugged tires.

dly

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree - the suspension makes it a Raptor. More power is just around the corner and there are a ton of modifications you can do to the 5.4 if you want.

I am hoping the new 6.2L Boss engine betters the Chevy though...

·
Registered
290 Posts
WHY??? My Raptor is fine with its power. I'm light on the pedal as it is and in the rain its hard not to spin the tires from a stop. And why would you want to spin these tires anyway, they are not Drag Radials but heavy lugged tires.

dly
I agree, and these HP numbers people are throwing around don't mean dick. The torque is what is important and the 5.4 excels in that dept.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree, and these HP numbers people are throwing around don't mean dick. The torque is what is important and the 5.4 excels in that dept.
I also agree.

I've had my Raptor for 5 weeks now and have 1,275 miles on it.

Excellent vehicle for every-day driving and the 5.4L has plenty of power.

Took a few days to get used to the width (came from an Escape), but now - no problem!!!!

Those who want more will get it with the 6.2L.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Look at what most offroad vehicles are, especially pre-runners. Most are Rangers and Toyotas with 4 bangers and 6 cyclinders. Look at most offroad race vehicles are powered by, excluding Trophy or Trick trucks. Most have VW motors, Toyota 2.2REs and V-6s, Ford 4.0 V-6s or small block v-8s or Chevy 350s. The point I'm making is that, this is not a vehicle built to haul-ass on the street. Its a vehicle built to haul ass on the dirt and to do that takes MUCH MUCH more than just a big ol motor. How many offroad race vehicles do you see with superchargers, turbos or even NOS???? Hardly any, if you want to haul ass on the street get yourself a lightning or Stang, thats what it was built for.........

Its always funny to me what people complain about, as for the Raptor there is nothing wrong with it was so ever. It has done everything Ford and SVT said it would do and then some. Maybe its because it has "SVT" on it that people think this truck is going to light'em up and change the rotation of the earth. SVT doesn't stand for big ass power! Its special vehicle team, and the Raptor is special, its one of a kind and will out "offroad" any other production vehicle from the factory and thats a HUGE statement

Alot of people are banking on the 6.2 because it makes "more power". Okay I see the reasoning behind that, but you really think the 6.2 is going to be that much better? It might beat the 5.4 by half a truck length, it will get worse fuel mileage and the upcharge is a little stiff in my book. Now that being said, I'm not putting down the 6.2, I'm very interested in seeing what it will do, but I think there are going to be a lot of disappointed people.

I'm very surprised to see what I see on these forums. I was expecting alot more threads on the ins and outs of the suspension, offroad mode, different tires, the axles, everything that makes the Raptor the Raptor............ but every other thread is about 5.4 vs 6.2 or 6.2 this or 5.4 that, just shows me alot of people have missed the point of this truck..............research, study this truck and what it was built for and you will see Ford and SVT built an amazing truck, so no SVT has not gone soft

·
Registered
290 Posts
Alot of people are banking on the 6.2 because it makes "more power". Okay I see the reasoning behind that, but you really think the 6.2 is going to be that much better? It might beat the 5.4 by half a truck length, it will get worse fuel mileage and the upcharge is a little stiff in my book. Now that being said, I'm not putting down the 6.2, I'm very interested in seeing what it will do, but I think there are going to be a lot of disappointed people.
You have summed up what I have had trouble trying to put into words without sounding negative. I think the 6.2 will be great, heck I wanted one for a while! But in the end it just wasn't for me. I think that too many peiople are expecting too much from it and they will be let down yet again.

For those that love to mod a new engine or just needed a little bit more power I think they will love the 6.2. For those wanting a very fast street machine, they will never be happy, they picked the wrong truck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You have summed up what I have had trouble trying to put into words without sounding negative. I think the 6.2 will be great, heck I wanted one for a while! But in the end it just wasn't for me. I think that too many peiople are expecting too much from it and they will be let down yet again.

For those that love to mod a new engine or just needed a little bit more power I think they will love the 6.2. For those wanting a very fast street machine, they will never be happy, they picked the wrong truck.
MAN you're telling me.....................LOL BillyRay

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Look at what most offroad vehicles are, especially pre-runners. Most are Rangers and Toyotas with 4 bangers and 6 cyclinders. Look at most offroad race vehicles are powered by, excluding Trophy or Trick trucks. Most have VW motors, Toyota 2.2REs and V-6s, Ford 4.0 V-6s or small block v-8s or Chevy 350s. The point I'm making is that, this is not a vehicle built to haul-ass on the street. Its a vehicle built to haul ass on the dirt and to do that takes MUCH MUCH more than just a big ol motor. How many offroad race vehicles do you see with superchargers, turbos or even NOS???? Hardly any, if you want to haul ass on the street get yourself a lightning or Stang, thats what it was built for.........

Its always funny to me what people complain about, as for the Raptor there is nothing wrong with it was so ever. It has done everything Ford and SVT said it would do and then some. Maybe its because it has "SVT" on it that people think this truck is going to light'em up and change the rotation of the earth. SVT doesn't stand for big ass power! Its special vehicle team, and the Raptor is special, its one of a kind and will out "offroad" any other production vehicle from the factory and thats a HUGE statement

I'm very surprised to see what I see on these forums. I was expecting alot more threads on the ins and outs of the suspension, offroad mode, different tires, the axles, everything that makes the Raptor the Raptor............ but every other thread is about 5.4 vs 6.2 or 6.2 this or 5.4 that, just shows me alot of people have missed the point of this truck..............research, study this truck and what it was built for and you will see Ford and SVT built an amazing truck, so no SVT has not gone soft
Excellent write up!! That is summed up perfectly so enough all you complainers if you want a power house go buy a sports car if you want a off road beast get a raptor plain and simple.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Excellent write up!! That is summed up perfectly so enough all you complainers if you want a power house go buy a sports car if you want a off road beast get a raptor plain and simple.
...and I agree...

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you wanna go fast on pavement, save up and buy a SuperSnake or a Ford GT...

Personally, i'm going to get the 6.2l, but i don't have any unrealistic expectations that i'm going to beat any sports car off the line in a purpose built 6,000lb truck

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm just saying all the SVT vehicles have had some type of engine mods. Even the Conturd had the intake ported.

It is no secret that the 5.4 is anemic. SVT could have done a little massaging.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts