Sync 3 And Carplay Audio Source Issue

Discussion in '2017 Ford Raptor Forum' started by PaseMkr, May 15, 2018.

1. PaseMkr

PaseMkr New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Hi all,

I just purchased a lightly used 2017 Raptor with 23k miles. I updated the Sync 3 system to version 3.oo via USB. I have an iPhone 6s with the most current iOS 11.3.1. Whenever my phone is connected via USB while running CarPlay and I get a text alert or WAZE alert, pretty much any sound produced by the phone and my Sync 3 audio source switches to the phone source and doesn't go back to the previous source at the conclusion of the alert. Is anyone else experiencing this or know of a remedy?

Thanks
    Steve

2. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member Military

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    PaseMkr,
    I don't have a 2017 or an iPhone so none of this may help you but I had questions about my 2014 Raptor SYNC so in the owner's manual I found a URL to SYNCMyRide.com or something like that. Somehow or other I ended up at the URL below:
    Owner Login | Support | Official Ford Owner Site

I went thru the registration process and found out what I needed. Just for grins I entered some information about your phone so that you can see what is available for a 6s. I have Sprint so what you see below pertains to a 6s on Sprint SYNC's to a 2014 Raptor if that makes sense.
    upload_2018-5-15_20-35-57.png
    I would suggest you find the correct URL (Internet address) so you can register your vehicle and find out what you need to know. You'll note the highest OS listed for my vehicle is iOS v9.1; above you say you are on iOS 11.3.1. Could be your problem but you should enter your information to be sure.

They have a Support service where you can call someone or email them for specific assistance, which you may need to resolve your issue. Sorry I can't be of more help but those problems you list are things I've never heard of.

Hope this helps even a little,
    LZinAZ

3. PaseMkr

PaseMkr New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L

Thanks for the reply LZ! I have already registered my vehicle, but I'm not sure exactly where to find the information which you posted that is specific to my vehicle or the phone number to call for help. Can I please bother you to fill in those blanks for me? I really appreciate your help.

4. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member Military

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    PaseMkr,
    No worries; I thought about adding all the steps last night but am never sure how much room I've got to play with in this forum. I've responded to surveys and such on other forums/webpages and found they only allow a couple hundred letters for something that needs a couple hundred plus 10 letters to get the story across.

This is where I Sign In:
    upload_2018-5-16_12-23-8.png

It will take you to the Owner Home tab so click on the Support tab to get the following:
    upload_2018-5-16_12-29-13.png

The second entry under SYNC & connectivity is Phones compatible with SYNC which I included below:
    upload_2018-5-16_12-31-58.png
    If you've registered your Raptor the information will fill-in automatically. Here you will click on your service provider and see what is up. Not sure what to tell you if it isn't listed; maybe the next step is called for then.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page you'll see:
    upload_2018-5-16_12-33-50.png
    This is where you can call someone and get an answer, hopefully, if you can't find one in the links above. Just for grins I checked my phone's compatibility while I was here. My phone isn't even listed, Samsung 8 plus, but I'm not having any trouble with mine.

If none of the above matches the pages you are seeing I'm not sure I can help. This is where it took me and thus far I've found what I needed, except my phone, and have been able to get by.

Best of luck,
    LZinAZ

5. GizmoVance

GizmoVance New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    That’s the way it works; whatever source, radar, Waze etc., that comes into your phone will cause the radio to come on and switch source.

No workaround if you use Sync via USB.

Only option is to disable CarPlay or just use a BT connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. PaseMkr

PaseMkr New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Thanks guys. Do you think that this will be corrected in the upcoming version of WAZE or is this a SYNC issue that may be corrected by an update at some point?

7. GizmoVance

GizmoVance New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Think about what’s happening...

...The radio NEEDS to be on for a source to be played. But the phone’s apps are using either Bluetooth or the Phone source of the Radio...

...and you’ll realize that it’s a Sync issue and very unlikely anything will be done. First of all, don’t forget that Sync is a Micro$oft product!!!! CarPlay is Apple. Any questions?

Honestly, it’s been so long that I’ve forgotten about the issue. My radio stays on almost always. I connect via USB almost every time. I have V1Driver for my V1 which pushes through the BT Phone channel, I ask Siri to play music, and I send texts all through CarPlay without any issues.

If my iPhone is NOT connected via USB, the process still works, but you have to hold the Voice button down for several seconds to bypass the Sync’s voice command.

It takes awhile but it’ll become second nature.

Oh BTW, for my creds, I speak with knowledge of having run all this through the App developers, Sync support (a total joke...don’t wary your time!!!!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. PaseMkr

PaseMkr New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Black
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Gi

Thanks Gizmo! Very interesting. I'm a bit confused though. Are you running WAZE? because I thought CarPlay had to be disabled to run WAZE, so if you are running WAZE with CarPlay enabled so that you can do texting ect., how are you doing it?

9. GizmoVance

GizmoVance New Member

Vehicle?:
    Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    It's odd, for sure. The whole system is odd and, frankly, not Apple friendly. I've had a miserable time trying to Update my Ford's with Sync; I've been doing it on 3 or 4 over the past 8 years...a real PITA!

I use(d) them ALL...you name it...Waze, Pandora, V1Driver, GoogleMaps, AppleMaps, iHeartRadio, Spotify, Downcast, Scanners, Amazon, etc. etc. etc.

I'm sitting with v2.2, but that's not relevant to the issue you're talking about...and exactly the reason I say they're not gonna change the way Sync communicates with the iPhone...and vice versa.

Now, I didn't wanna bring this up, in lieu of adding confusion, but all Apps are not created equal...and Waze is the oddest duck of 'em all. They have settings for audio as Bluetooth or Phone Call. But frankly, I haven't really come up with a difference. IN fact, Waze just seems to do it's own thing as soon as you plug into the USB line. For example, if I'm streaming Music, and plug in with Waze running, you'll hear the audio level and quality change...DESPITE whatever audio setting I've selected in the prefs.

When my V1Driver app and BT receiver auto-connect (happens every time the truck powers up), the app and dongle handshake as a phone call and "MY NUMBER" and photo pop up as it goes through the alert test sequence.

I obsessed to figure the whole thing out, and gave up...which is saying A LOT, coming from a Tech-head who always "gets his way" with tech stuff! LOL

HTH

Big Bill likes this.
  10. Big Bill

Big Bill Active Member Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2013 Whipple Raptor700+HP
    Color?:
    Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L

Very interesting Gizmo thanks for sharing your knowledge.