F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a confirmed order for a Raptor and finally found a dealer here who had a Raptor outside for a test drive. So after getting past the salesman nonsense (he claimed it was the only Raptor in the state) BS, I finally got his boss to give me the keys for a drive.

I enjoy every aspect of the truck except one. The 5.4 motor. I had a bit of a concern about this motor as in the past I had a 2005 King Ranch with the 5.4. and found that motor to be a bit of a dog. Around town city driving the 5.4 is adequate, but I found getting the 5.4 up to highway speeds problematic, like my old King Ranch.

So I think I am going to cancel/revise my order and wait for the 6.2.

And yes, with the screen name I have, my other car is a 2001 Bullitt Mustang. :smileup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
problematic?....tell me more......does it just not have the "get up and go" or what? thanks
That pretty much describes it. The 5.4 lacks the get up, and seems to have to work really hard to get a heavy vehicle up to speed.

Part of it may be my bias toward high torque numbers, since 2001 I have been driving almost Mustangs exclusively. Some of which were quite modified.:head3:

·
Registered
8 Posts
its a modular motor...they are pretty much built for high RPMS..they dont have alot of low end grunt..you gotta wad the hell out of it to make it get up and move..my buddies have F-150s with 5.4s and they tell me the same thing..

and was that king ranch a F250?? if so that would deff be a factor in the doggyness...they weigh alot more haha

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a modular motor...they are pretty much built for high RPMS..they dont have alot of low end grunt..you gotta wad the hell out of it to make it get up and move..my buddies have F-150s with 5.4s and they tell me the same thing..

and was that king ranch a F250?? if so that would deff be a factor in the doggyness...they weigh alot more haha
Nope. It was a F150 SuperCrew.

If it was the F-250 diesel, at 500+ lb/ft of torque it has plently of grunt.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
People who have driven both tell me to wait for the 6.2, it should be in the showrooms in about three months.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have driven both the 5.4 2v and the new 3v . As noted they do love high rpms and are very choked up and de-tuned in my opinion from the factory. But with acouple bolt on items , this motor really wakes up. My only reason to wait and get the 6.2 is because it's something new and I'm a Horsepower junkie . And more could never hurt !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The horsepower ratings were/are not my primary concern. However, I do believe some additonal torque would be a welcome benefit. I am not looking to fly down the street, the Mustang handles those duties. But at the same time, I do want a little bit more oomph from a dead stop.

Ultimately it is personal preference.

and for me, my experience with my old F-150 weighed heavily on my decision to revise my order. Yes, that will result in a substanial delay, but I am hopeful it will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I drove one today too and I also have an 07 King Ranch. I felt it was about the same power wise, maybe a little bit more pep. Overall I loved the truck and will be waiting for the date I can order a 6.2......The GM said that the folks at Ford just told him to expect a horsepower rating of 460.

Really the currently available motor is sufficient, however I live near all the Nascar shops and wellllll, you know, power is KING. Two quick mods after I get it is exhaust upgrade and a air system..........Other than that I will get the local graphics guy to design up some stuff.....I can't imagine those graphics on it to be worth the $900 price tag.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts