F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great truck overall, the sales rep let me take it over parking stops in an empty parking lot. At 5 miles and hour on 4 wheel hi gear settings, it took them gracefully with little body flex. I loved the voice recognition software and its capabilities. The molten Orange is definetly my favorite color. The first major problem was the engine, the 5.4L just doesn't have enough push at highway speeds, which I had tried out. I guess it's due to the massive tires. Definetly waiting for the 6.2L is a mandatory in my book. Also, the second issue I have is that if FORD knows this truck is going to be 7 inches wider, why not include the power folding side mirrors as at least an option. This truck will have alot of problems with the public involving parking and garaging. I see in the future alot of backorder for sideview mirror parts in the future. I hope they make it a Standard to have the mirrors power fold when the truck is parked and/or on command.:shakehead:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree about the mirrors ..... due to the width of the truck, I always fold at least one in after parallel parking (afraid someone might clip it) and some situations are too tight for my liking and I would like to quickly fold them in - power assist would be nice.

I have about 1,700 miles on mine and the 5.4L is to the point where the power is great in all situations that I have used the truck for - in-town/highway/back-roads.

The engine got stronger as the miles grew - it adapts to the driver.

I just had mine on the highway (I-80) for about 50 miles yesterday - very stong on the on-ramps (a very quick acceleration to 70mph on to the interstate) and passing acceleration was more than adequate. Looked down a couple of times and I doing 85 or so - that's when I turned the cruise on ............... smooth power and great ride.

I'm getting about 14.5MPG - most of my driving is non-highway.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The mirrors stick out the same distance as a regular F-150. The cab is the same, it's the suspension and fenders that stick out.........and at 3.5in. each side, that's really not that much.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure SOCOmech is right. It's the exact same frame as an F-150...it just has flared fenders because of the suspension...and that's where the extra seven inches comes from. I'm not saying power folding side mirrors wouldn't be nice...it's just that from what i've read, it's the exact same width as a normal F-150 at the mirrors.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure SOCOmech is right. It's the exact same frame as an F-150...it just has flared fenders because of the suspension...and that's where the extra seven inches comes from. I'm not saying power folding side mirrors wouldn't be nice...it's just that from what i've read, it's the exact same width as a normal F-150 at the mirrors.
I stand corrected ......

Never realized the mirrors stick out the same distance as the standard F-150 - I'm new to the current F-150's.

Guess my problem is that I came from an Escape to the Raptor - little difference in size.

That and being a little paranoid that someone would clip them off of my new toy.

My last F-150 was a 1995.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mirrors don't stick out as far as the Superduty ones!

The 6.2 will have more power... but I don't think the 5.4 is underpowered at all....
but I've never driven any vehicle that couldn't use more power.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Really, underpowered? Wow. I guess folks have gotten spoiled these days. I remember back in the day when a Chevy 350 or Ford 351 had a hard time putting 180hp to the ground and everone thought they were driving hot rods! I'm pretty pleased with the way the 5.4 puts it down. Torques on early and the 6 speed keeps it right in the power band. Very peppy, especially for a truck. If I wanted holy cow fast four wheel drive, I suppose I'd get a Subaru WRX or Caddy.

No other four wheel drive truck made with the Raptor's capabilities is as quick. Well, no other four wheel drive truck is as capable then, is it!?

Gotta love motorheads. The need for speed is alive and well. Unless they put in a V6 diesel that can be modded like they're doing with the big boys. Any gasser made will get poor mileage when you start making them hot rod. The dependability and longevity will suffer. The cost will go through the roof. For the money, for the mileage, for the capability, the ultra tested and refined 5.4 is a great deal, especially hooked up to the 6 speed. Considering the rest of the truck's add ons, oh man, it's magic.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You've gotta be kidding me! Really! 310-320HP 365lbs./ft. of torque and 4:10 gears and it's "underpowered"? I too remember the days when a 460 or 454 Chevy struggled to make 250 HP. Not enough push at highway speeds - it's only been the No.1 selling truck in America for 30+ years... there are a lot of people that would disagree that it's an underpowered vehicle. Take it off road and give it a try. A 5.4L Raptor certainly has adequate power... a 6.2L Raptor will have more than enough power - but I'm sure we'll still see some complaints here.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You've gotta be kidding me! Really! 310-320HP 365lbs./ft. of torque and 4:10 gears and it's "underpowered"? I too remember the days when a 460 or 454 Chevy struggled to make 250 HP. Not enough push at highway speeds - it's only been the No.1 selling truck in America for 30+ years... there are a lot of people that would disagree that it's an underpowered vehicle. Take it off road and give it a try. A 5.4L Raptor certainly has adequate power... a 6.2L Raptor will have more than enough power - but I'm sure we'll still see some complaints here.
I think they should all start their own thread, that way we won't have to deal with it anymore, lol. I don't hear 4x4 supercrew owners with more weight and 3.73's complain like this. Them and the ones complaining that it's not like the Lightning. Once I get mine, I'm going to offer an open challenge to any Lightning owner that we race across the desert for pinks. I know alot of it is opinion but, there has been alot of it and I think alot of people are missing the point.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think they should all start their own thread, that way we won't have to deal with it anymore, lol. I don't hear 4x4 supercrew owners with more weight and 3.73's complain like this. Them and the ones complaining that it's not like the Lightning. Once I get mine, I'm going to offer an open challenge to any Lightning owner that we race across the desert for pinks. I know alot of it is opinion but, there has been alot of it and I think alot of people are missing the point.
I agree will the complaining ever end?? I doubt it then the 6.2 will come out that will be underpowered it will just never stop. Now the mirrors are to wide but they are no wider than a normal F150. I just cant believe the things people come up with to b*tch about it just blows my mind. Be greatfull you can get the opportunity to own a vehicle like this some people in these times cant even afford to eat enough whining like really. Whats next the floor mats are to heavy and its slowing the truck down??

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Who`s complaining? The man made an observation and posted it, he`s entitled. You guy`s with the 5.4`s if you like the power great, but don`t get uncomfortable when others talk about more power and the 6.2, even Ford admits it`s under powered with the 5.4. The truck was designed with the 6.2, the 5.4 was an after thought when they realized that the 6.2 would not be ready for their launch date and the supply of 5.4`s needed to be moved. Simple facts.

·
Registered
509 Posts
HAHA, lmao. FordDude is complaining about people complaining how ironic. Why would any future 6.2 owner need to start a new thread so people dont have to deal with it anymore?? Was this not a NEW thread about 5.4's lack of power??? It was doing ok untill the 5.4 police came. Dont be salty just because the 5.4 Raptor will be the least valued and least powerful raptor ever sold. Its funny you never see a 6.2 person start **** when a 5.4 owner coments on how they are satisfied with the power, but one little coment on the 5.4 lack of power and you got six 5.4 nutswingers bashing the poster. Whats this, Its got 4:10 gears!!!..... you guys do realize its got 35 inch tires right??? C'mon people.

·
Registered
127 Posts
.............. even Ford admits it`s under powered with the 5.4. The truck was designed with the 6.2, the 5.4 was an after thought when they realized that the 6.2 would not be ready for their launch date and the supply of 5.4`s needed to be moved ..............
As I stated previously in this thread and in a few others, I am very happy with the performance of the 5.4L in my Raptor and the 6.2L will just be icing on the cake.

But please provide documentation as to the following: "Ford admits it`s under powered with the 5.4. The truck was designed with the 6.2, the 5.4 was an after thought when they realized that the 6.2 would not be ready for their launch date and the supply of 5.4`s needed to be moved".

Web link, magazie article, ................????????

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
HAHA, lmao. FordDude is complaining about people complaining how ironic. Why would any future 6.2 owner need to start a new thread so people dont have to deal with it anymore?? Was this not a NEW thread about 5.4's lack of power??? It was doing ok untill the 5.4 police came. Dont be salty just because the 5.4 Raptor will be the least valued and least powerful raptor ever sold. Its funny you never see a 6.2 person start **** when a 5.4 owner coments on how they are satisfied with the power, but one little coment on the 5.4 lack of power and you got six 5.4 nutswingers bashing the poster. Whats this, Its got 4:10 gears!!!..... you guys do realize its got 35 inch tires right??? C'mon people.
Trust me, I'm in no way salty about the 5.4's possibility of being least valued and powerful. I'm also not a 5.4 nutswinger, I ordered a 6.2. I would've gladly taken a 5.4 though. I know I can speak with a bit of experience, I've been a Ford tech for a while now and have driven plenty of them, along with other makes. I "personally" just don't see why people think they're such dogs. And you're right....why would a future 6.2 owner start a thread about the 5.4? Who said they were gonna do that? Of course I'm not going to bash a 5.4 owner for complementing it....I agree with them. We're by no means police of the forum but this topic has been beaten to death now. People expect to get in the Raptor and take off like a bat out hell, it's not gonna happen, it's not what it was meant for. At the same time, there is a break in period that once to a certain point, it will start running better. And seeing as it's got 35's to go along with those 4.10's, it should even out right? People act like it's got 44" super swampers. I originally posted in this thread to let the op know about the mirrors.....then added a bit later.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Socomech, do you have a confirmed order for the 6.2? If so please tell me the dealer so I can order one too.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Trust me, I'm in no way salty about the 5.4's possibility of being least valued and powerful. I'm also not a 5.4 nutswinger, I ordered a 6.2. I would've gladly taken a 5.4 though. I know I can speak with a bit of experience, I've been a Ford tech for a while now and have driven plenty of them, along with other makes. I "personally" just don't see why people think they're such dogs. And you're right....why would a future 6.2 owner start a thread about the 5.4? Who said they were gonna do that? Of course I'm not going to bash a 5.4 owner for complementing it....I agree with them. We're by no means police of the forum but this topic has been beaten to death now. People expect to get in the Raptor and take off like a bat out hell, it's not gonna happen, it's not what it was meant for. At the same time, there is a break in period that once to a certain point, it will start running better. And seeing as it's got 35's to go along with those 4.10's, it should even out right? People act like it's got 44" super swampers. I originally posted in this thread to let the op know about the mirrors.....then added a bit later.
Your right subject has been beaten to death, thats why I dont understand why 5.4 police have to jump on someone that just stated their opinion about a recent test drive. My post wasn't all pointed to you but to the on going 5.4 nut swingers that rally when anythings bad is said about the 5.4. Its funny some of the nutswinging 5.4 owners are also the ones doing bolt ons and looking at superchargers for their 5.4. Kinda hypocritical dont you think???

1 - 20 of 54 Posts