F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It`s very quiet around here, so you new owners must be out having fun. When you new owners have a few minutes, please give us some feedback your likes and dislikes, hows the stero, nav., motor ect. Thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
So quite because First gear seems to shift into second rather quickly. My Instrument cluster lights k&n cold air intake and installed it today, and when i hooked the negative battery terminal back up the dash lights worked fine. IDK. Cold air intake gives it a decent roar. nothing like aftermarket exhaust tho. im still comsidering changing the muffer. Truck handles well and compared to my 04 f150 it hadles bumps and potholes like a champ! Stereo isnt all its cracked up to be. But take into consideration I had 2 alpine R-type 12's in a custom box and alpine seperates with a flipout dvd and eq/line driver in my last truck, so its not as good as an aftermarket system. the nav, in my opinion is great, but i didnt get a chance to really use it yet. motor is ok, but again, 1st gear shifts too quick. tomoro morning when I take it to work Im gonna see how it handles above 90mph. I leave @ 5am so theres no one on the road :) im assuming it's limited @ 100mph like my 04. I am impatiently awaiting some manufacturer out there to make a program/power module for this thing! it has way more than it gives, thats for sure.

The best part of the whole thing is the insane looks I get from people! Basically they're sayin WTF! with thier eyes! Broken necks should be my liscense plate! LOL I had the windows tinted today and NOW it looks even better. Felt naked without my tint!

·
Registered
242 Posts
OOOPS, Failed my term paper.

LOL. Im pissin my pants on that one. It was all supposed to read, We're so quiet because we're out enjoying our rides! Oh, yeah, and a couple other flub-bubs in there lol. T-minus 20 minutes and counting until we see how my girl runs/handles @ high speeds. LOL, back to school, need to get me my ged

·
Registered
242 Posts
And the second part was that my instrument cluster lights werent working. it was raining out... very dark for mid day, and even with the headlights on and the dimmer switch all the way up, i had no dash lights. i had to (not really) but i did anyhow, unhook the neg. battery terminal to install my CAI and wen i hooked it back up the lights worked fine.

idk wat happened to my long response. that crap was all jacked up! drink another one!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How are you new owners finding the transmission to be? the testers do not seem to like it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
So far the Raptor has been prefect and seems it would stay that way if I kept my Dealer away from it.

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
Only real negative I have is not being able to completely shut off traction control. I start the truck, hold the button for over 10 seconds and It will shut off to a certain amount but if you get completely sideways in snow or go above a certain speed it comes back on. Kind of takes the fun out of it.

On the other hand, its my first truck with traction control and it does provide me with a level of comfort when my wife drives. It works great and does exactly what its designed to do. I just found out the other day - " oh yea, when your not in the truck I practice going sideways and let the traction control correct me if I go to far" - gotta love it.

Every thing else about the truck is far above expectations. :smileup:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Only real negative I have is not being able to completely shut off traction control. I start the truck, hold the button for over 10 seconds and It will shut off to a certain amount but if you get completely sideways in snow or go above a certain speed it comes back on. Kind of takes the fun out of it.
Then you're most likely not going into full (extreme) off-road mode. Extreme off-road mode will turn off the traction control completely.........

Per Greg Foutz......

"If you press the off-road mode button and let it get set in off-road mode. Then while you are sitting still (STOPPED) if you press and hold down the skidding car button in the upper middle dash and hold it for like 10 seconds it will put it in EXTREME mode. You will see it flash in the center instrament cluster that tells you its set off. That turns off the traction control and all of the stability management stuff. That makes them work GREAT on dirt..... Its hard to do when you have any doors open or low fuel indicators but you have to try it with and without that disabled. When traction control is on everytime the truck senses that you have wheel spin it will trim engine power. When its disabled you can spin the wheels and it makes it more fun to drive in the dirt. Each time you turn the key off and re-start it re-sets this mode so you have to do it each time you start the truck...."

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agree with the other owners, handles well, seats are extremely comfortable, soaks up all bumps, like your going down the road in a big lazy boy easy chair. Added a Roush CAI, waiting for the Borla cat back exhaust to come out. Love the Nav and the Stereo. Every time I stop for gas attracts a small crowd, always "Is that a kit?".

The transmission continues to be a head scratcher, shifts into 2nd pretty fast every now and then, and sometimes when you come to a stop downshifts with a shudder right before you come to a complete stop. Wish it was a little more crisp and consistent but oh well.

Overall love the truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tranny is geared a little high in 6th. A lot of shifting goes on when it's windy or if the dirt road is a little soft. I use my truck for crop consulting in Kansas, which consists of running rough sand roads with a 650lb Yamaha Grizzly in the bed. After 11,000 miles, no problems with the truck. Averaging 13.5mpg hauling the quad. 15mpg without. No performance upgrades yet. The suspension is a dream come true for my occupation. Had a custom prerunner bumper fabricated at Jackson Sand Toys in Great Bend, Kansas. Then had it powdercoated grey to match the trim and wheels. Makes it look tough. Will post a pic soon. Addictive Desert Designs in Arizona also builds them if anyone is interested. Check their website for pics and prices. Truck could use a little more power to pull the huge tires. Will trade for the big motor version in a couple years. I've always ran Dodge 3/4 ton trucks and had good luck with them until test driving the Raptor and choking down the price tag. Still own a 06' Powerwagon but I let the wife drive it. Rides like a log truck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pro's it is a beast in every way big, in your face, rumbles great for stock and with a few minor mods it will be even better!

Con's I spend alot of time explainin to people what this thing is! Oh and I go in to pay for something and when I come out some old guys standin on my nerf bars looking in to truck!!!! WTF? Other than that it is a real solid all around truck. Have not had a chance to really let her go but in time I will..

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
SOCO question for you. does extreme mode also disable RCS ? I still get wheel braking in extreme off road mode. I know its not "recommended" by SVT on snow covered roads (lol) but Ive tried every combination and still get braking in high speed, rally car style sideways. Which probably is a good thing.

Ill just clarify my complaint - It drives me nuts to have to stop, put it in off road, then hold trac control for 10 sec. I just wish there was a "on the fly" complete kill switch. Im sure its because of some BS legal reason but still. I love having trac control for 95% of my driving but sometimes Im flying down a back road and want to kick it sideways and cant. Oh well, I guess Ill go play that little tiny violin up there...

But seriously, its 5% of the time and such a small complaint it wouldn't mattered at all in the decision to purchase the truck.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Only real negative I have is not being able to completely shut off traction control. I start the truck, hold the button for over 10 seconds and It will shut off to a certain amount but if you get completely sideways in snow or go above a certain speed it comes back on.
Do you have to be in off-road mode?

My guess is you're actually holding the button down too long. Does it not chime at 5 seconds? If the computer detects that the button is staying pressed, it more than likely defaults back to full traction control. That way a sticky or defective switch wouldn't cause a person to unknowingly turn off their TCS every time they start their vehicle. I don't actually have mine yet tho, so I cant test that theory.

·
Banned
92 Posts
I'd give you a whole list but I'm busy trying to get ready to go out and enjoy my Raptor!!! Maybe there will be some pics up from this wknds trip...see if anyone doesn't have an ear-to-ear grin.

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
Do you have to be in off-road mode?

My guess is you're actually holding the button down too long. Does it not chime at 5 seconds? If the computer detects that the button is staying pressed, it more than likely defaults back to full traction control. That way a sticky or defective switch wouldn't cause a person to unknowingly turn off their TCS every time they start their vehicle. I don't actually have mine yet tho, so I cant test that theory.
Trust me man Ive tried it all, press once, 5 sec, 10 sec, 10+ sec with off road on and off. Maybe its because Im on snow ? maybe just my truck??? It will shut off completely for the most part in "extreme off road" but Ive still had it kick in.

Its really not that big of a deal, theres just some times when you want to throw it out there and not have to stop and do the procedure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Trust me man Ive tried it all, press once, 5 sec, 10 sec, 10+ sec with off road on and off. Maybe its because Im on snow ? maybe just my truck??? It will shut off completely for the most part in "extreme off road" but Ive still had it kick in.

Its really not that big of a deal, theres just some times when you want to throw it out there and not have to stop and do the procedure.

If it is because of the snow - take heart that you will only have it for another "3 months" or so up in the North Country :hah:

Meanwhile - we're defrosting rather nicely "down south" (OK - so I'm still waiting for my Raptor - supposedly next week - you got me there!)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts