F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the towing capacity is only 6000 lbs.? I called my dealer, said he would call back when he found out. Guess he still doesn't know. I got on Ford's web sight and found a place to ask the question straight to them. Been a week, no reply. Bad thing is I already have a Raptor and read this 6000 lb restriction in the owners manual. I do pull heavy loads from time to time. Never have traded a brand new truck before. First time for everything I guess. Does anyone know why the weight restriction?

·
Registered
28 Posts
My guess is the softer suspension.

If your gonna trade it in, just give it to me. You'll lose your ass either way. :gy:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've wondered the same thing. The only two things I can see that would make a difference is the softer rear springs as Corey said, and the taller 35" tires that will reduce braking power.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would think the shocks have something to do with it too. They are tuned for the vehicle weight and absorbing the bumps, with added weight on the hitch or even just towing weight it changes how they work.

·
Ford Raptor Forum!
1,565 Posts
i tow a 9,000 pound trailer every day and the truck still sets strait would not take any thing for my rapter

If you ever get in a wreck towing that weight, the cops will weigh the trailer and hang you out to dry!

The truck is NOT rated for that weight. You're endangering innocent people on the road.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The truck is NOT rated for that weight. You're endangering innocent people on the road.
While I think it's honorable to mention this, it's also rediculous. Think about it, my "rated" weight of all passengers and cargo is 819 lbs. I weigh 260lbs, I probably have about 100 lbs of tools, tow & cargo straps, soft bed cover, emergency kit etc. That means in a 5 passenger truck I have 460 lbs for the last 4 passengers and any tongue weight for a trailer. Even the normal F150's are this way (though not quite this bad). You can't even carry the 5 passengers you have seats for, and even with one passenger and normal tools and stuff it can't even handle a trailer tongue weight of 500 lbs.

To think 99% of people will or should abide by a rediculous and unrealistic limit is just as silly as the people who made the limit in the first place. I will haul what I feel is realistic and safe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The frame , brakes , and driveline are basically the same as an F150. The springs and shocks are the most different and probably are why it has a lower towing capacity. The suspension is designed for off road bumps not hauling big loads. But that does not mean it cant be done and be done safely

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would really like to know the answer to the original post also. I dont think braking is a big issue since the raptor has trailer braking. The large tires may not play so much of a role in starting a load either because of the 4.10's. So is it simply the 'soft' suspension? it is interesting to note also that the 6.2 will have the same 6000 limitation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
it is interesting to note also that the 6.2 will have the same 6000 limitation.
I'd say that its mainly the soft suspension like I said before. I don't have much to tow besides my Honda Aquatrax and maybe a 4 wheeler here or there so the towing limitations don't bother me one bit mainly since I'll be getting a better riding truck. :str:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've never towed anything before and one of the purposes of a truck purchase for me is to tow a small travel trailer. I just happened to see a Raptor before I bought an FX4 and fell in love. :\

I haven't found the Unloaded Vehicle Weight for the Raptor. With the exception of the Trailer specs, is the rest of this correct? For those with towing experience, I'm assuming the Raptor should tow this with no problem and would ride/drive and stop good?

-------------GVWR---GCWR---MLTW--MPL--UVW---HW---
------Raptor: 6950---12300---6000---1020--------------
TravelTrailer: 5000--------------------------3097--311---

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
GCWR = Gross Combined Weight Rating
MPL = Max Payload
MLTW = Max Loaded Trailer Weight
UVW = Unloaded Vehical Weight
HW = Hitch Weight

·
Registered
290 Posts
It should tow that no problem. I have pulled my car hauler a coiuple times with a car on it and it did great. I should have been under by a bit but there are times with a larger vehicle whereI could be a bit over, but that isn't very often.

Unloaded weight should be a round 5900 lbs (but don't forget to add weight for gas, passengers, and any tools and accessores you may have loaded)

·
Registered
129 Posts
The FX4 with 5.5ft bed has a maximum tow rating of 8400lbs. The only difference between the FX4 and the Raptor is the taller tires and the softer suspension which would both play a role in towing or hauling. Taller tires will mostly reduce braking performance due to the extra leverage provided by the tire surface being further out from the brake disc. The same reason it is easier to turn a nut with a wrench the further away from the nut you can get with the wrench. Taller tires will also have more sidewall flex which will make it easier for the truck to sway from side to side with a heavy load. Softer suspension also makes it easier for the truck to sway side to side as it allows more body roll. It also allows the truck to squat more in the rear which will shift the trucks weight toward the rear and the trailers weight toward the tongue, and you end up with a lighter front end much easier. This of course will reduce steering control and also reduce braking as the front tires, which have the larger rotors and calipers and more grip as the weight shifts to the front, now has less grip and will slide easier. The trailer, if equipped with brakes, will also lose grip sooner as the weight shifts to the front away from its axles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Based on the short bed FX4, if Ford does make a crew cab Raptor, the towing capacity should go up 1300lbs. The added wheelbase really helps with trailer sway control.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts